Does this mean the seam is failing?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many sold to how many fail. It could be we hear about it more because they sell more? Still, I wouldn't buy one.
I think this is true. However, I believe that the Gen 1 large tanks without the retrofit did have more issues than average.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is true. However, I believe that the Gen 1 large tanks without the retrofit did have more issues than average.
The tank is coming from Texas to the Canadian distributor and then to me, so likely the wait is going to be a couple weeks. I’ll push for them to send one from the distributor here and they can back fill with the one being shipped from Tx. That would make the most sense.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is coming from Texas to the Canadian distributor and then to me, so likely the wait is going to be a couple weeks. I’ll push for them to send one from the distributor here and they can back fill with the one being shipped from Tx. That would make the most sense.
Funny I have friends that live up near you in Armstrong BC

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an option I’m pondering. The largest tote I can buy near me is 40 gallons, and seeing as it wouldn’t be full to the top, likely 35 gallons. With the bio load from my livestock, that’s a lot of ammonia for the fish to deal with Having little to nothing to convert it to nitrateS
Buy 2. Or get a 55g petco tank. If you don't vacuum your sand be very careful to disturb it as little as possible. I'd rinse all the sand too or buy new. Your rock has plenty of bacteria on it. You could also put the sand in a bucket on its own with a heater and do multiple water changes if you want to keep the bacteria.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why not transfer the sand into the new build? I’ve seen a couple people suggest that.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ll take this opportunity to use live sand from the start. Perhaps that will mitigate some of the Alk crash and Calcium spike that will likely occur the first week of the change over….
thoughts?

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have done tank transfers in the past I pulled all rock and coral, then fish and clean up crew, pull sand last. Then I start setting up new tank with water then add rock fish coral and clean up crew. Make sure to rinse the sand very well and add back to tank it will reseed in no time with the bacteria from the rock.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You have to be careful with sand. Especially if the transfer won't be immediate. For the low cost to replace I wouldn't reuse it. Enough bacteria will be coming from your rock and existing water.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think I’ll use new live sand this go around.
Best bet… or what also works is putting your current sand in 5 gallon buckets and turn the hose on full blast and let it overflow while you keep stiring it up till the water is crystal clear then it’s safe to add to the new tank.. what ever you do don’t just scoop it out and place in the new tank it’s got too many nasties.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for the masses. I’ve read through the forums but Im Still vexed.

im going to put a patch on that spot like in the video, but I need an adhesive/sealant that I can apply wet that is reef safe, cures quick And that I can buy in Canada, but not have to order from Amazon.

suggestions?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for the masses. I’ve read through the forums but Im Still vexed.

im going to put a patch on that spot like in the video, but I need an adhesive/sealant that I can apply wet that is reef safe, cures quick And that I can buy in Canada, but not have to order from Amazon.

suggestions?
Gorilla glue gel?
Idk If that would be any good but I used it for my leak.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your fish will be fine in (lidded!) totes. You can easily cycle the totes by just moving your live rock over, with a quick rinse in the old tank water to remove any built-up gunk. Which you should do anyway, so you can then put that rock into your new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back