20240108_142001.jpg

20240108_141919.jpg

20240108_141904.jpg

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! You’ll have to make a video of adjusting your power heads to deal with the sand.
What are your thoughts on flow? Heavy over (not directly at) the corals? Flow is the thing I always seem to adjust.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! You’ll have to make a video of adjusting your power heads to deal with the sand.
What are your thoughts on flow? Heavy over (not directly at) the corals? Flow is the thing I always seem to adjust.

Flow is usually dictated by the tank dimensions, at least my take. I want 3 viewable panels, leaves me with the option for a straight forward undertow design, especially given the shallow dimensions. Flow pushed from back panel, hitting front glass, creating a massive current towards the rear, which is good, to push debris to overflow. These pumps are quite powerful, and yes, as long as all polyps sway, we're good. Thos is easily accomplished with low flow settings, due to very limited structure to impede. Thank you for checking in :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry

Why did you decide to reboot? Just curious :)

As time went by with the 90 gallon, I envisioned a bommie in this footprint. Due to large corals, lots of them, I added a prop tank. Ideas of perhaps culturing a collection, which evolved to smoothies. The display also looked like a frag system, and I became disinterested in dealing with selling corals, another story for another time, lol. So, I decided to reinvigorate my passion, and thinned out, and cherry picked my collection. I actually gave away all coral colonies and frags on the rack. PIF...
The prop tank has transformed into a mangrove lagoon, and the display to a "Smooth Bommie ". Energy costs factor as well on this reboot. This project is a slow transition from carbon/bacteria dosing, to a more natural ecosystem approach. Sockless as well. Next project will include cleaning old rocks, and recycling. I will setup a dedicated tub/brute can to harbor this rock creating a cryptic zone as well.
I wish to allow the mangrove lagoon to become a true refugium, where I will continue to seed for diversity and provide a predatory free zone.
The mangrove shoots came in quite mature, but they grow slow, so for aesthetics, I will incorporate shaving bush, calcifying macro algaes, and maybe a red variety, that I can contain, the focus is mangrove.
All the best :)

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome perry!
I mean your acros growed so quick and you had colonies in no time.

I am also doing a reboot and start over with a torch garden. Somehow my wife got tired of the acros and told me why not doing something wavy :) Well, im down for it!

I also see you have very few fishes.. Are you getting some more?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome perry!
I mean your acros growed so quick and you had colonies in no time.

I am also doing a reboot and start over with a torch garden. Somehow my wife got tired of the acros and told me why not doing something wavy :) Well, im down for it!

I also see you have very few fishes.. Are you getting some more?

Yes, the Foxface accounted for several, lol. It was removed, and I picked up a royal gamma. I will be adding some Chromis, and a wrasse. Just taking my time. I have a pair of ORA Black Clowns, Bimac Anthias couple, 2 pajama Cardinals, Bangai, Copperband Butterfly, and Royal Gamma. 9 fish in a 112 gallon. This will grow to around 20 when all said and done. This entire project is a SLOW game, smoothies and mangroves, like watching grass grow, lol...

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some may read, some may not, either way, the few who get it, cool ;)
Backup plans. I have attached my recent Y-Tube short, to show my backup system.
Ecoflow Delta 2 with the backup battery. On a short test, with the 2 combined, I could run 2 Orphek OR3 Blues, 2 Jeboa SOW-20's, and EcoTech M1 @70%, the battery and back up, would last at least 12, maybe 14 hours. Now this doesn't seem like much, but it takes up to 500 inbound watts of solar. Also, Your generator can recharge the battery and backup in 2 hours. Now, that's at 1200 watts recharge, mine is changed to only charging at 500 inbound watts, as to keep the heat lower, which, that data is available through the blue tooth or wifi app. So, my generator would take around 6 hours, no worries at 500 watts, it runs constantly at 3500 watts, and is off propane.
Here's the mind blow, this runs on their "EPS" mode, which essentially making it a seamless UPS. So, those pumps and lights, are able to run when power goes down, without power loss. The wifi app, will give you data on your battery, watt input/output, as well as battery memory, and more. So, if you're at work, and there's a power loss, no worries ;)
To me, it seems that this should be considered before livestock, but it took me lots of stressful moments, to finally get peace of mind, lol. Thanks for reading :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great Perry. I've upgraded my ecotech battery to lifepo4 and have thought about doing more. I just got one of the new Tunze low wattage pumps that I'm going to setup on a battery of some kind. I think Tunze should really try to promote this I think it would be the best way to get the most life out of a battery backup.

No generator for me but the idea of running lights is an awesome feeling.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great Perry. I've upgraded my ecotech battery to lifepo4 and have thought about doing more. I just got one of the new Tunze low wattage pumps that I'm going to setup on a battery of some kind. I think Tunze should really try to promote this I think it would be the best way to get the most life out of a battery backup.

No generator for me but the idea of running lights is an awesome feeling.

Tim, this changes the game for power outages, I will buy another Delta 2 so the xtra battery can swap back and forth from my bedroom where I have portable AC unit, TV, computer, basically a comfort zone during outage. The Generator can run on constant for other home essentials, as well as charging batteries. Being able to relax during these hurricane outages is a good investment as I get older. My next energy backup will include install of a serviceable 200 gallon propane tank t9 allow multiple weeks of outages if necessary ;)

Hagios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this 10kw Generac installed in 2020. Fortunately, never really needed it that much except for the occasional short power losses which my battery backup would of handled. Until this last storm system we got hit with. Lost power for a good 30ish hours. PG&E was alerting everyone that we were going to be without power for at least 5 days.
If I hadn't had backup I most likely would of lost everything. The biggest loss I think would be the time vested...and some of these sticks take much longer to grow than others.
My generator is powered be PG&E natural gas. The return pump is plugged into the Apex battery backup to prevent any return flow upsets.
20240211_091137.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this 10kw Generac installed in 2020. Fortunately, never really needed it that much except for the occasional short power losses which my battery backup would of handled. Until this last storm system we got hit with. Lost power for a good 30ish hours. PG&E was alerting everyone that we were going to be without power for at least 5 days.
If I hadn't had backup I most likely would of lost everything. The biggest loss I think would be the time vested...and some of these sticks take much longer to grow than others.
My generator is powered be PG&E natural gas. The return pump is plugged into the Apex battery backup to prevent any return flow upsets.
20240211_091137.jpg

That's a wonderful setup, and very great choice! The battery brings more diversity, and solar is ultimately my vision, living here in FL. I am not plumbed for gas, wish, but having the propane/gas hybrid generator, is a great tool for the battery re-charge, in the event solar isn't getting the job done. Gas goes fast here, it gets dicey during hurricanes, propane goes next, so preparedness is essential here. I would love a whole home backup, looking into the EcoTech Pro with backup battery at around 7kw, with up to 1200w inbound solar capacity. This ties into your breaker box. For just me, this might be overkill. My current plan gets me around 7-10 days without power before I exhaust propane and battery. Not collecting sun currently, not effective enough with my heavily shaded home lot, but looking into a 200 gallon propane tank. Plenty of serviceable companies around for re-fill. This would extend me to around 3 weeks, Cat4-5 type scenario..

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, does phosphate affect the color of acropores? my phosphates were 0.05, now 0.4, I don't see a difference.

I go with the idea of observation 1st, test 2nd. I currently have 48ppm for N03 and .21 P04, and things look pretty darn snazzy ;)

20240210_165103.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with the idea of observation 1st, test 2nd. I currently have 48ppm for N03 and .21 P04, and things look pretty darn snazzy ;)

20240210_165103.jpg
I've always been confused where to run my nitrates. Do you see some pieces with overly brown polyps with the elevated nitrate level? I'm convinced that sustained po4 levels of .1 or higher is beneficial for SPS health, keyword being sustained. I don't think guys realize how much a fast growing reef can consume nutrient.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been confused where to run my nitrates. Do you see some pieces with overly brown polyps with the elevated nitrate level? I'm convinced that sustained po4 levels of .1 or higher is beneficial for SPS health, keyword being sustained. I don't think guys realize how much a fast growing reef can consume nutrient.

Hi Richard,
I no longer subscribe to "tested" N03/P04 levels influencing color or health. Growth, perhaps, but unlikely as well, as I personally try to slow growth, particularly on non smoothies. Corals, fish, and inverts seem unphased by my levels. 48ppm N03 and .21 P04. Sure I would like lower levels, but no need to knee jerk, and throw the import aspect out of whack.
I liken our hybrid plant/animal friends micro biome to that of ours, and the soil that made our ancestors food rich in sustenance. The micro biome, and trace/mineral availability unlocks the needed nutrients. This mechanism is my focus, not "tested" levels. Continuing to feed, manage, expand, supplement, and baby the micro-biome is what provides healthy corals, fruits, and productive humans ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back