My Blue Hippo Ok?

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe something took a bite out of him? Not sure.. thoughts?

1713378955183.png
1713378983200.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tuscani Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

1713378955183.png
1713378983200.png
This is a scrape and likely from darting int rocks as they often do . due to being bashful/skittish.
Often, an injury of this sort would heal on its own but the nature of this appears to offer a chance for infection. At minimum, I would suggest treating tank with ruby Rally pro but more effective will be seachem Kanaplex in a separate tank with added aeration

OP
OP
tuscani

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. I am not sure I can catch him to QT. Ha. I will keep an eye out and try the Ruby.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1713378955183.png
1713378983200.png

Is it only on the fish's right side? If so, it likely is not an injury from another fish (but what fish are in with it?). The ring with the lighter color center is almost always a sign of a bacterial infection. The treatment for that would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and medicate with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neomycin. In some cases, the fish will fight off a bacterial disease on its own, so you could just watch it closely for now and if the lesion doesn't get larger, just let it heal on its own.

Jay

OP
OP
tuscani

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks.. he is the biggest fish in the tank so I doubt anyone is messing with him. Yes only on one side

1 - Mandarin Dragonet
1 - Yellow Tang
1 - Tomini Tang
1 - Gold Midas Blenny
1 - Diamond Goby
1 - Filefish
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
2 - Banggai Cardinalfish
1 - Blue Hippo Tang
2 - Orange Storm Clown Fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks.. he is the biggest fish in the tank so I doubt anyone is messing with him. Yes only on one side

1 - Mandarin Dragonet
1 - Yellow Tang
1 - Tomini Tang
1 - Gold Midas Blenny
1 - Diamond Goby
1 - Filefish
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
2 - Banggai Cardinalfish
1 - Blue Hippo Tang
2 - Orange Storm Clown Fish
Ok, it likely got its start as an injury, but I don’t think it was from a fish - nothing on that list is likely to cause a bite injury.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back