My hobby Display tank

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That it is!! I’ve come to realize that the prices are a little higher than what I can get them in GR so I’ll just go out there to look mainly now
Yeah, I don’t even know who in GR is any good. We’ve been in Chicago for almost 25 years (so Preuss’s must be over 50 years by now), but are in GR every other weekend.

I’ve looked at some places websites, but haven’t seen anything there that would excite me.

OP
OP
TIGERWBLUEYES10

TIGERWBLUEYES10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don’t even know who in GR is any good. We’ve been in Chicago for almost 25 years (so Preuss’s must be over 50 years by now), but are in GR every other weekend.

I’ve looked at some places websites, but haven’t seen anything there that would excite me.
I go to V.I. Pets in Cutlerville off Division. Rebecca there has been there for 18+ years and is one of the main people who run the saltwater area. I drive there from Silver Lake Sand Dunes all the time.

OP
OP
TIGERWBLUEYES10

TIGERWBLUEYES10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does your return not siphon a ton of water out of the tank when the pump shuts off?
Glad you asked actually, the pump chamber is a lot lower than the rest of the tank, so if there is a catastrophic failure with the pump the whole tank will actually become equal front and back. It took me a lot of playing the first few days adding and taking water out to get to the point it’s at now, but yeah. Pump turns off it just equals out and it’s about 2.5” lower on the water level as it is right bow

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on making it mainly a Zoa garden with some fishes. Possibly a couple of Ocellaris and Clarkii's. Honestly, I am going to Preuss Pets (Lansing, MI) this weekend and that'll answer this question when I get back lol.
Preuss Pets was my favorite store when I lived in Michigan

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is an AIO 50-55G acrylic I had picked up from a Saltwater store near me. The aquarium used to hold Mantis shrimp until I acquired it. This is my setup so far. Looking at getting frag tanks and such in the future and maybe a bigger home to have more aquarium space!

bc9339af-ceb2-4c2e-ae1d-250068f33b58.jpg c0638a06-91ab-40e8-b0c6-b8d98aa43dd4.jpg 6d762d97-9259-49f1-a49a-c6ffa73c316f.jpg 2e8163ec-95dc-4483-98c7-b3e44058acc2.jpg
Looks great!

Rottenninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you asked actually, the pump chamber is a lot lower than the rest of the tank, so if there is a catastrophic failure with the pump the whole tank will actually become equal front and back. It took me a lot of playing the first few days adding and taking water out to get to the point it’s at now, but yeah. Pump turns off it just equals out and it’s about 2.5” lower on the water level as it is right bow
Ooohhh I didn't see the filter section in the back and thought it went to a sump below. I just got my first sump system and flooded it to realize that I can't have the return nozzle lower in the tank. Now I just run a short elbow with no nozzle at all.

Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
TIGERWBLUEYES10

TIGERWBLUEYES10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooohhh I didn't see the filter section in the back and thought it went to a sump below. I just got my first sump system and flooded it to realize that I can't have the return nozzle lower in the tank. Now I just run a short elbow with no nozzle at all.

Thanks for the reply!
Of course! I actually love this setup! The only thing that sucks is it takes room out of the display

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back