OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there was alot of crap but that was a while ago,so i am surprised that it still hasnt gone down.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there was alot of crap but that was a while ago,so i am surprised that it still hasnt gone down.
What about chamber 1? It has a false bottom just above the bottom vents?
I actually knocked that out so a heater would fit, you could probably turkey baste though the vents if you don't want to knock out the false bottom.. I was amazed at the amount of crap settles in there

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a tank that old, my guess is that the rocks and/or sand is loaded with detritus to some degree.

Swirl you finger (or something) around in the sand in a few places to see if you get anything tan or brown in color. Pure white aragonite dust is the only thing that it's OK to see come up. Anything else and you have your problem.

You could also take a powerhead and blast the rocks as well as the sand and see what you get.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have around 15 pounds of live rock, sorry i didnt put that down before nl5882.

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I had the same issue before with my tank. My issue was flow I was only turning the tank 2-3 times ab hour so a lot of poop and nutrients were staying in the tank. Also if your running an hob filter pulling the cartridge and replacing will new would take a lot of beneficial bacteria out of your tank.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no i was using the stock biocube filters but then i changed to just filter floss,a carbon bag and purigen.

Ouscazz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fluctuate 80 and 160 but never any lower I dont know why.

Well, that's on the high side.. not that it really matters when there's no animals in the tank.
You don't have any consumers in the tank.. maybe you could try to add some mushrooms or Euphyllia?
Since you don't feed the tank, there must be some kind of detritus build up somewhere, in the sand or in the rock work. How deep is your sand bed?

Can you please post all data of your tank, technique, settings, and so on.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you only using the stock return pump? Any powerheads?

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's way to much to throw a coral in a system. Marine pure sales ceramic balls that could fit in your system it will grow new bacteria and and clean your system out. I still think it's a flow issue pushing more water to the filter will help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back