OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for what the source could be,but i am unable to find anything. The only thing i found was the back chambers were full of crap but i cleaned them out a few days ago.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started putting beneficial bactira into the aquarium and it seems to be helping.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your sand bed? Maybe try removing some, let it stabilize, then test again.

Loc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if someone else came across this but did you try to test with multiple different tests? maybe a bad test kit. if your tank not breaking out with algae and such, i wouldnt worry about it ;)

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested it with multiple test kits, there is some alage but not a crazy amount.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is florida lime stone live rock.

I'm not sure what florida limestone is, but the limestone I'm familiar with isn't porous at all and would not support denitrification.

Live rock should be porous something like this:
0047_BW2_04.jpg

If your tank can't support (much) denitrification, then nitrates will accumulate.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit up a bunch of forums. General consensus says the rock is in no way bad for the tank. Just not good enough for buffering your tank for filtration. You have visual porosity (holes on the rock). Then there is internal porosity (the core). Surface porosity (the actually surface of the rock). I am guessing it is the internal porosity that is problem due to it's lack of ability to absorb water. This is where your anaerobic bacteria is that completes the nitrogen cycle process that brakes down everything into a gas that dissipates out and off your live rock up to the top of your tank releasing the nitrogen in to the air. Limestone from what people are saying is good for a large tank's base rock for 200-1000g. You put a little bit of the limestone on the bottom for a base to save a little bit of money. Then add your expensive rock with high porosity best for filtration on top, because it is expensive. Where in a biocube of 29g. You basically need all the help you can get. I know you don't want to pull the rocks, but you are short changing the nitrogen cycle and doing 3/4 of it and leaving out the most important part of it. This is where your nitrate problem is. Your nitrates are not turning into the gas final stage to leave your tank. If you like your aqua scape. Then get either a chunk on that marine pure rock and stuff that in where your bioballs used to be. Chemicals are your quick fix and it is not working. I am a firm believer of the natural way and getting your tank to run like a well oiled machine. This is just my take on it and how I would address the issue to stop future headaches. Purugin also. Not to tightly packed in a bag so it has some kind of tumble. Good luck with it man. I hate headaches. At least you don't have some major expensive stuff in there. Also on a side note. To put it into more perspective. If you have say 14lbs of a rock with less porosity vs 14 lbs Fiji. You would need about 100lbs of the rock with less porosity to do the work of a 14lbs of Fiji. Plus the 14lbs of rock with less porosity would be smaller than 14lbs of Fiji. So you actually are short changing yourself in surface area. So it would be about 2-3lbs of Fiji in a 29g. That is not enough flirtation even for hermit crabs. The numbers are not right, just put in a general perspective. Hope this helps and you get a fix to your issue. Take care.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a more porus dry rock into my tank a couple of days ago, thank you for the information. The rock live rock that i got is porus but instead of a few large holes it has many small holes.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a more porus dry rock into my tank a couple of days ago, thank you for the information. The rock live rock that i got is porus but instead of a few large holes it has many small holes.
Good man. I just spent like 3hrs learning all that hahaa helps me learn too. Tell you what I am going to do for my tank is get the marine pure balls. Make a bag of those. Swap them with the C nodes that came with the FLUVAL C4 once they are cycled. It was a learning experience for both of us. 6:33 and same. No sleep yet either.

Last edited:

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually going to tag Knasty in this. He has helped me redesign the back of my biocube. Exactly what you said. I'll let you know how it helps me. I am also going to replace bioballs with the marine balls like someone else recommended. How did you knock out the false bottom? I'd like to know so I can move my heater in that chamber.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i am guessing you have the oceanic biocube because the coralife biocube doesnt have a false floor in the first chamber.The only way I can think of getting the false floor out of the first chamber is to pry it out,But that would break it.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the 29gallon coralife biocube dosen't have a false floor in the first chamber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back