OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 gallons, I'm thinkin that's risky too. I feel bad for damsels. There's so many and they are so feisty. It isn't their fault lol. I'm just going to capture the damsel and see how he copes in the reef tank with the big fish (largest being a talbot damsel) in my 90.

I don't think adding a second pair of clowns to the 90 would be wise, otherwise they'd go in there.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 gallons, I'm thinkin that's risky too. I feel bad for damsels. There's so many and they are so feisty. It isn't their fault lol. I'm just going to capture the damsel and see how he copes in the reef tank with the big fish (largest being a talbot damsel) in my 90.

I don't think adding a second pair of clowns to the 90 would be wise, otherwise they'd go in there.

Yes a 12 would indeed be 2 cramped for all of those and moving it to the 90 is probably the better way to go IMO too. And you are right it's not their fault ... that is just how they are.

And no ... another pair of clowns in that tank would be 2 much even though it is a 90, but you never know ... they may take up residence on their own side of the tank and not aggress each other but to be sure you would have to try it out and see what happens ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well change of plans! I had to rescue 3 seahorses.

I got a call at 9 last night. Someone's tank leaked and had to be saved so my buddy takes home all the stuff and realizes e can't keep seahorses...so now....
a3y4yma5.jpg

One keeps flopping himself over the overflow, so I need to make a grille or something. The flow is super low but he doesn't really try to stop. He's otherwise healthy, swims like a champ. The other 2 seem a little smarter. I'm capturing the damsel now. I monitored them from a distance and he actually seemed excited to he company. He even slept with one?! However the risk is not worth loosing a majestic family of seahorse.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well change of plans! I had to rescue 3 seahorses.

I got a call at 9 last night. Someone's tank leaked and had to be saved so my buddy takes home all the stuff and realizes e can't keep seahorses...so now....

One keeps flopping himself over the overflow, so I need to make a grille or something. The flow is super low but he doesn't really try to stop. He's otherwise healthy, swims like a champ. The other 2 seem a little smarter. I'm capturing the damsel now. I monitored them from a distance and he actually seemed excited to he company. He even slept with one?! However the risk is not worth loosing a majestic family of seahorse.

Wow thAt is quite a change indeed ... guess that kind of upsets your plans ... good luck with that one Seahorse ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DumDum, Seabiscuit, and Tornado (named after Zorro's horse). Tornado likes playing in the current and flings himself across the water column. Dum Dum still tries going down the overflow, and Seabiscuit is the only one who just hangs out in the middle.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DumDum, Seabiscuit, and Tornado (named after Zorro's horse). Tornado likes playing in the current and flings himself across the water column. Dum Dum still tries going down the overflow, and Seabiscuit is the only one who just hangs out in the middle.
They do not handle strong current well at all as you know so wondering if Tornado is getting too much current and Dum Dum is being sucked by the flow towards the overflow ... just some thoughts

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is though that they swim in the tank just fine when they aren't "horsing around" in the current.
It is whatever comes stock in a 12g aquapod. No writing on the pump so I'm not sure of flow.

What would you recommend I do? The return is a small tube with a remove able flow diverter like what comes on those cheap penguin powerheads.

When tornado jumps into the current he turns before smacking the glass 9/10 times. He occasionally bumps but not very hard. There is no current directed at the rocks themselves

DumDum goes up to the overflow slowly and latches onto the plastic guard. Before he would latch onto the actual overflow rim and flop over it where he always finds a nice place to hang on.
No sharp areas whatsoever, even the rock is smooth yet porous

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is though that they swim in the tank just fine when they aren't "horsing around" in the current.
It is whatever comes stock in a 12g aquapod. No writing on the pump so I'm not sure of flow.

What would you recommend I do? The return is a small tube with a remove able flow diverter like what comes on those cheap penguin powerheads.

When tornado jumps into the current he turns before smacking the glass 9/10 times. He occasionally bumps but not very hard. There is no current directed at the rocks themselves

DumDum goes up to the overflow slowly and latches onto the plastic guard. Before he would latch onto the actual overflow rim and flop over it where he always finds a nice place to hang on.
No sharp areas whatsoever, even the rock is smooth yet porous

Well not sure what to recommend here other than trying to spread the water flow out in smaller streams e.g. by putting a cap on the output with holes in it, like a sieve so the flow is more dispersed but you'll have to watch that part as it can plug up due to detritus etc .... but it does allow for spreading out the flow.

You can test the pump by pumping water into a bucket for say 1 minute and then measure how much you have and that x 60 would give GPH. You can use tap water from one container in which you p;ace the pump and have it dump the water in the bucket. Just a thought ...

You can also add more in the tank for the seahorses to hold on to ... e.g. even plastic plants ... The more such places the better IMO ...

And on that overflow you may have to modify it and place a piece of grid material in front of it that Dum Dum can't climb up on or over ...

Just some thoughts ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas! I'll figure something out today after I test out my new seneye reef monitor.

Definitely worth a try ... some even use a pvc pipe drilled with holes and closed at both ends and put the output of the Power Head thru a whole in the pipe and the water comes out thru the many small holes and spreads the flow real well too ..

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return comes out on the top right. I could easily make an elbow and have the spray bar go up and down. I'm guessing it should point forward and not at the rocks?

Here is the overflow guard I'm makin
6e8uvyre.jpg

I am assuming I will not e able to stop him from wanting to hang there so this will allow him to do so safely. I'm going to Sand it smooth first. It will turn purple with coraline so I don't care about painting it

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return comes out on the top right. I could easily make an elbow and have the spray bar go up and down. I'm guessing it should point forward and not at the rocks?

Here is the overflow guard I'm makin

I am assuming I will not e able to stop him from wanting to hang there so this will allow him to do so safely. I'm going to Sand it smooth first. It will turn purple with coraline so I don't care about painting it

Yes and yes ... that looks like a good way to go

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back