OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true ... there was an article about them on Reef Builders I seem to remember but other than that there is not much available ...

I've used that and some basic knowledge of the only other species in the genus, the arrowhead soap fish to get an idea what kind of animal this guy is. He is a predator, though a small one. He eats whatever he can gobble up. They do not like light and they cannot live in a standard reef tank's "hot" climate. They do fine at low pressure as long as they are safely brought up from the deep. An ideal habitat would be mostly actinic since at that depth everything is blue until you turn on a white light and see the tremendous color and housed with larger fish that won't eat them. Though this information is not completely important until the fish becomes more affordable and people actually need to know about their care. Deep water enthusiasts all over the world are all drooling about all these awesome guys, at least I am haha! It is amazing how little we have seen in the ocean. I hope that I get to witness the final animal discovery in my lifetime. Then all those marine biologists can take a vacation from...oh wait, they play in the ocean all day, they do not need a vacation at all!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waikiki aquarium has a peppermint that cost $30,000. Might be cheaper to make fish clothes an pretend. I can see it now..."Picasso damsel hoodies, $19.99 As Seen on TV!"

Not sure what Waikiki Aquarium paid for theirs but there were several reports that a Japanese Hobbyist with a tank several thousand gals in size, bought one for that amount ... and as you said earlier, not sure whether there are actually any others available as I do not believe that many were actually found at the great depths were they live and also because they are very reclusive fish even there.

Looks gorgeous though ...

Boylei_Angel.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used that and some basic knowledge of the only other species in the genus, the arrowhead soap fish to get an idea what kind of animal this guy is. He is a predator, though a small one. He eats whatever he can gobble up. They do not like light and they cannot live in a standard reef tank's "hot" climate. They do fine at low pressure as long as they are safely brought up from the deep. An ideal habitat would be mostly actinic since at that depth everything is blue until you turn on a white light and see the tremendous color and housed with larger fish that won't eat them. Though this information is not completely important until the fish becomes more affordable and people actually need to know about their care. Deep water enthusiasts all over the world are all drooling about all these awesome guys, at least I am haha! It is amazing how little we have seen in the ocean. I hope that I get to witness the final animal discovery in my lifetime. Then all those marine biologists can take a vacation from...oh wait, they play in the ocean all day, they do not need a vacation at all!

Indeed keeping those types of fish is not a sinecure and as you say require not only knowledge but often special set ups and basically what we call either a Biotope or to carry it even a level further, "species specific" aquariums

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine when NASA or the Russians find aliens some day we will also have space tanks. How cool would that be!?
Anti-gravity instead of water.
Asteroids instead of live rock.
Black holes instead of overflows haha!
It is bound to happen some day far away in the future in some form or another. They already sell real estate out there in the great unknown I have heard!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine when NASA or the Russians find aliens some day we will also have space tanks. How cool would that be!?
Anti-gravity instead of water.
Asteroids instead of live rock.
Black holes instead of overflows haha!
It is bound to happen some day far away in the future in some form or another. They already sell real estate out there in the great unknown I have heard!

I gather you like Sci-Fi ... maybe we need "Spice" too ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more interested in Sci and less of the Fi, though I love creativity and Sci-fi is certainly creative. 90% of the movies they make are horribly written and under-produced. Makes for a great movie night! I'm not into the literature side of it though...too much for me. I'm more into stuff like Stanley Kubrick. "A Clockwork Orange" is my all time favorite book.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more interested in Sci and less of the Fi, though I love creativity and Sci-fi is certainly creative. 90% of the movies they make are horribly written and under-produced. Makes for a great movie night! I'm not into the literature side of it though...too much for me. I'm more into stuff like Stanley Kubrick. "A Clockwork Orange" is my all time favorite book.

Yes I agree movie renditions of sic-fi novels never seem to turn out well at all ... I remember watching 1984 and Dune and being quite disappointed.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tremors comment was sarcasm lol, its a series of terrible (but enjoyable) movies about giant worms the burrow and try eating everyone (they make tremors when they are near). Its super cheesy, a perfect Sci-fi flick haha.

The tank is definitely green. That's mainly due to the refugium light I have been using. I have only one snail (might be a cowrie) but all I ever see of him is a mound of sand as he tunnels (like a tremor monster). The whole structure is glued in place in preparation for a turbo snail. He will be my first addition. The sandbed is so wormy right now! At night the spaghetti worms are on the glass halfway up the tank haha.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tremors comment was sarcasm lol, its a series of terrible (but enjoyable) movies about giant worms the burrow and try eating everyone (they make tremors when they are near). Its super cheesy, a perfect Sci-fi flick haha.

The tank is definitely green. That's mainly due to the refugium light I have been using. I have only one snail (might be a cowrie) but all I ever see of him is a mound of sand as he tunnels (like a tremor monster). The whole structure is glued in place in preparation for a turbo snail. He will be my first addition. The sandbed is so wormy right now! At night the spaghetti worms are on the glass halfway up the tank haha.

Sounds like the huge worms in the Dune Books ...

OK I understand now why the tank looks so green ... and that's a lot of life in that sandbed for sure, which is good as it will keep things moving and not going anaerobic ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no bad algae outbreaks either, besides coraline on the glass that sucks. Any recommendation for a scraper that gets those rounded corners? I've been slowly getting it off with my oval shaped mag-scraper but the corners take forever since te contact point of te actual scraper is limited to the tip of the oval.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no bad algae outbreaks either, besides coraline on the glass that sucks. Any recommendation for a scraper that gets those rounded corners? I've been slowly getting it off with my oval shaped mag-scraper but the corners take forever since te contact point of te actual scraper is limited to the tip of the oval.

Not really but I agree hard to get them in those areas ... I guess all you can do is use your scraper and get a bit at a time .. it'll take a long time but I guess eventually you will get it off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A beauty both in appearance and price !!
Not sure what Waikiki Aquarium paid for theirs but there were several reports that a Japanese Hobbyist with a tank several thousand gals in size, bought one for that amount ... and as you said earlier, not sure whether there are actually any others available as I do not believe that many were actually found at the great depths were they live and also because they are very reclusive fish even there.

Looks gorgeous though ...

Boylei_Angel.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One was sold to someone (maybe Waikiki) for $30,000 I heard somewhere
I think Waikiki got theirs for free as a research project but the article I read, I believe on Reefbuilders.com, was that a Japanese Hobbyist paid that for one.

AlsoI am not sure that there are others around ... and haven't checked IUCN yet to see what their status currently s ... as there seem to be SO few of them ...but secretive as they are who knows, there could be plenty but they may not have been located at those great depths ...

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back