My self induced cyanobacterial bloom

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hopefully we do not see fish prices skyrocket as Hawaii just had a disaster in which thousands of fish in their waters were found dead after storms. Many Tangs, Wrasses, Anthias, Lions, etc come from that region.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully we do not see fish prices skyrocket as Hawaii just had a disaster in which thousands of fish in their waters were found dead after storms. Many Tangs, Wrasses, Anthias, Lions, etc come from that region.

Indeed ... I think I read it was a large spill of some kind that choked a whole area and depleted oxygen levels and killed a lot of those beautiful Hawaiian fish .. and maybe even corals ...

Nasty ... and it just proves again that the large amount of damage to reefs and their inhabitants is not done by the Hobby but by ships, pollution being dumped, a lo of which is industrial waste, wrecks, and so on ...

But we should still try to buy tank bred or maricultured bred fish and corals ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molasses. Non toxic, though the sugars created mass oxygen depletion that suffocated them all.

One quote was , "They're all dead. all of them." So depressing!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molasses. Non toxic, though the sugars created mass oxygen depletion that suffocated them all.

One quote was , "They're all dead. all of them." So depressing!

Yes now that you mention it I remember that it was Molasses indue ...

Hopefully they can solve the issue rapidly

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company said they are lettin it naturally dissolve. I'm sure someone will sue them at one point

Yes that is what happens as a matter of course it seems ... when one thinks one can sue, one sues, not my approach being from Europe but that is what seems to happen here ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't they tell you that was the American dream?
Move to America, get a job, sue your boss, spend all your money, and then get sued yourself. Its a cycle of suing and spending!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't they tell you that was the American dream?
Move to America, get a job, sue your boss, spend all your money, and then get sued yourself. Its a cycle of suing and spending!

Yes and name your first born Daughter "Sue" I guess :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool! I was born in Idaho, but since we were an Air Force family we moved to Japan for a couple years before planting ourselves in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. I'm totally moving back out west when my girlfriend is done with college. Hopefully California if I can land a good enough job to get a house large enough for a massive outdoor reef pool.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool! I was born in Idaho, but since we were an Air Force family we moved to Japan for a couple years before planting ourselves in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. I'm totally moving back out west when my girlfriend is done with college. Hopefully California if I can land a good enough job to get a house large enough for a massive outdoor reef pool.

So did you learn Japanese ...

Not much of it that I know except ... Domo arrigato gozaimas for the info and Ohio gozaimas for good morning if I remember correctly .... and of course "Honto des nay" and Aahso ... :) and a few others ..

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about all I know too. They liked speaking English so we didn't really need to know much. I lived there until preschool, but my mom never forgot how to cool authentic Japanese food so I picked up on that as I got old enough to cook. Food is more universal of a language anyways :)
We have tons of awesome antiques from there too. My dad took stuff home from everywhere! Even road signs! Lol.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about all I know too. They liked speaking English so we didn't really need to know much. I lived there until preschool, but my mom never forgot how to cool authentic Japanese food so I picked up on that as I got old enough to cook. Food is more universal of a language anyways :)
We have tons of awesome antiques from there too. My dad took stuff home from everywhere! Even road signs! Lol.
Pity you did not get a chance to learn the language ... I was in Japan quite a few times but never learned it either .. just short business trips of one or two weeks ... And yes I loved the various cuisines they have ... even Kobe steak in the mid-70's when it cost already the equivalent of over $40 ...

And speaking of antiques .... I am sure they are gorgeous and must be worth a fortune by now ... at least I hope so for you ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd like to learn it some day before I go back to visit. At least enough to allow the locals to speak their native tongue with little confusion. With my luck i would remember the wrong words and say something outlandish. I'm a lot better at the Romance languages when it comes to interpreting. Sometimes I use the Spanish part of owners manuals just to see if I can. Usually works out! Now any type of Asian characters or middle-eastern stuff I get extremely flustered by...its no wonder they do better in school. Their memory is extreme in comparison to ours because they have to learn so many characters. We have such a limited amount of letters that words have to have contextual exceptions and special rules. I before e? Argh..make a new letter!!

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what the odds a larger pair of clowns would be fine with this damsel I had to rescue?
ura2y9uv.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He bought all the antiques, just I clear that up haha. The road signs...not so sure about

Gee do you still have the road signs ... that's why I could never find my way around as I could not read the signs ... especially out of the main areas where there were lots of tourists and where there sometimes were signs in English ... but not many from what I remember. Went to Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe, Yokohama, Kyoto, Kamakura, Nagoya, and even Okinawa ... and a couple of other places I cannot remember the names of ... At the time I used to visit the Far East I used to collect small sculptures of Buddha, and purchased 100's of them over the years ... But when I left Belgium they stayed all there .... (unfortunately as I am sure some of them would be very desirable right now).

And on Languages ... being from the Flemish part of Belgium by the time I finished University I spoke 4, and then as time went on I added another 2 ... The problem though is that in this country one rarely has occasion to speak any of them except for English and a little French at times, e.g. on my FB group Nano Reef Aquariums, one looses fluency in them and the vocabulary becomes "passive" so to speak ... oh well ... guess I don't really need Letzebourgish here in Atlanta ...

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back