My self induced cyanobacterial bloom

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved in a rush when I bought the place. I dreamed of one large L tank that stair stepped around half the room but the cost was not ideal at that point. When I move again I'm going to bite the bullet and say good bye to most of my live stock and start from scratch. I really want a huge in-wall since I have no actual view of my display in the living quarters. All my tanks are in the porch as of now.

The 20g stink tank is about to be permanently gone, someone offered 100 bucks for the tank and a small stand. I have faith that I can redesign one that has more function...

Improvements I would make:
1) bottom drain for flushing regularly
2) long air stone on bottom
3) aragocrete walls on 3 sides for maximum algae or cyano coverage
4) coast to coast surface skimmer fed into gravity fed recirc protein skimmer to eliminate surface buildup and allow maximum lighting
5) maybe some type of cleanup crew, but not enough to completely clean the scrubber. Just enough to harvest its nasty

Here is my sand now

Here is a rock

This is my drain section in the sump.
The larger pipe is overflow from the display and the smaller pipe comes from the salt mix tote down the room.

The return pump has a T that routed extra flow back through the sump and doubles as a water change hose for easy draining. The skimmer is rated for 220 gallons too.

Sounds like a great plan but LOTS of work and not going to be an inexpensive conversion IMO ... but hey you gotta do what you wanto do ... right ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and here's some if the frags my tank produces regularly. Some are from trades and ive sold more than half but you get a good picture.

Nice ... looks like you have a good supply left still even after everything you have sold already ...

I saw the other posts and that skimmer sure seems to be working real well from what I see .. +1

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the super skimmer is great for the price. Even better used! This one has a mesh impeller as opposed to the needlewheel they usually come with. I need to throw some carbon or something in the cup though. After a half inch of skimmate it stinks pretty nicely!

Oh and my tank has stayed at 77 degrees through the hot summer until yesterday. Somehow the temp of all my tanks reached 84 degrees! I have my reefkeeper set to kick on a box fan that draws in cool air from the main house so it dropped pretty quickly once it kicked on. That was almost scary! I don't think I've had that problem yet on any tank. It was purely a freak of nature heat wave, which is normal for Indiana. We can have a 104 degree day turn into tornados and earthquakes here.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the super skimmer is great for the price. Even better used! This one has a mesh impeller as opposed to the needlewheel they usually come with. I need to throw some carbon or something in the cup though. After a half inch of skimmate it stinks pretty nicely!

Oh and my tank has stayed at 77 degrees through the hot summer until yesterday. Somehow the temp of all my tanks reached 84 degrees! I have my reefkeeper set to kick on a box fan that draws in cool air from the main house so it dropped pretty quickly once it kicked on. That was almost scary! I don't think I've had that problem yet on any tank. It was purely a freak of nature heat wave, which is normal for Indiana. We can have a 104 degree day turn into tornados and earthquakes here.

Yes the ones that work really well can indeed put off a a nasty smell at times ... and that mesh impeller seems to do a super job for sure.

Sorry to read about that freak temp spike and glad you got it under control ...

Gets hot here in GA, but AC inside keeps the temp down ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room is neither heated nor cooled and is on the eastern wall of the house. Gets sunrise to high noon sunlight heat. The turtle loves his window tank. He sunbathes every morning on the rocks. Lol. In winter I have a high efficiency oscillating space heater that does a great job keeping the room in the upper 60's, which my water has never dropped below 72 on the coldest night we had. That is also going to be controlled by my reefKeeper when the time comes for heat. I'm not planning on living here forever so it works for now. I'm moving to one of the coasts when my girlfriend is done with dental school. I figured I'd wait on that before skipping town. Its the least i could do for her since she has not left me because of my addiction to marine tanks! It was her fault though. I didn't want one but she wanted a clown fish...it all went out of control from there!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room is neither heated nor cooled and is on the eastern wall of the house. Gets sunrise to high noon sunlight heat. The turtle loves his window tank. He sunbathes every morning on the rocks. Lol. In winter I have a high efficiency oscillating space heater that does a great job keeping the room in the upper 60's, which my water has never dropped below 72 on the coldest night we had. That is also going to be controlled by my reefKeeper when the time comes for heat. I'm not planning on living here forever so it works for now. I'm moving to one of the coasts when my girlfriend is done with dental school. I figured I'd wait on that before skipping town. Its the least i could do for her since she has not left me because of my addiction to marine tanks! It was her fault though. I didn't want one but she wanted a clown fish...it all went out of control from there!

Sounds like a good system indeed ... and yes it all starts with that Clownfish :) .... or if you go back in time and think back on FW, it was the Goldfish you won at some contest at school or elsewhere :)

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No goldfish!! Haha. I was born into cichlids. Lol. My dad was into discus and angels. I was terribly uninterested, of course. He always was afraid of salt so I never got to experience any first hand old-school techniques and got I to the hobby after most of the good stuff was invented. I didn't even know they had under gravel filters which saved me a lot of hassle im sure. My dad still thinks saltwater is too hard even though he has me to guide him or even maintain the thing. The only reason I have freshwater angelfish is beyond me. I ended up with them some how? They have been for sale for 3 months solid with no buyers. Now that is a sure sign we have horribly low hobbyist populations.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No goldfish!! Haha. I was born into cichlids. Lol. My dad was into discus and angels. I was terribly uninterested, of course. He always was afraid of salt so I never got to experience any first hand old-school techniques and got I to the hobby after most of the good stuff was invented. I didn't even know they had under gravel filters which saved me a lot of hassle im sure. My dad still thinks saltwater is too hard even though he has me to guide him or even maintain the thing. The only reason I have freshwater angelfish is beyond me. I ended up with them some how? They have been for sale for 3 months solid with no buyers. Now that is a sure sign we have horribly low hobbyist populations.

Interesting how you got started ... mine was the Goldfish route first .. but not for long :)

And yes your Dad should not be afraid of SW ... he has you for help and advice !!

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha right! He is a retired master Sargent though...he won't even ask for directions and when he does he makes up his own route so it would be a challenge for sure. I'm 24 and he still tells me to get a hair cut, but still love him haha. He got me into guitars, which was a big mistake on his part. I'm also extremely deep into music, which came way before reef tanks. As much as I love this hobby I would gladly give it up temporarily to be a rock star :) then I would use my money to make a giant reef with only rare fish. I have been drooling over the Dr Seuss Fish for about 3 weeks now. Good luck finding any for sale though. They live over 350 feet below sea level in colder water reefs along with the also extremely rare Peppermint Angelfish and require depressurization upon being brought up to the surface. The fish only grows to about 3 inches too! They remind me on a barracuda-wrasse-grouper combination that was turned into a cartoon character lol. The smithsonian has dibs on the one from Waikiki aquarium after it naturally dies. Lucky!!!!

Apparently the fish is pretty hardy as long as it is in cooler water so the $6000 price tag won't hurt as much as say...a knife wound in the rib cage lol.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha right! He is a retired master Sargent though...he won't even ask for directions and when he does he makes up his own route so it would be a challenge for sure. I'm 24 and he still tells me to get a hair cut, but still love him haha. He got me into guitars, which was a big mistake on his part. I'm also extremely deep into music, which came way before reef tanks. As much as I love this hobby I would gladly give it up temporarily to be a rock star :) then I would use my money to make a giant reef with only rare fish. I have been drooling over the Dr Seuss Fish for about 3 weeks now. Good luck finding any for sale though. They live over 350 feet below sea level in colder water reefs along with the also extremely rare Peppermint Angelfish and require depressurization upon being brought up to the surface. The fish only grows to about 3 inches too! They remind me on a barracuda-wrasse-grouper combination that was turned into a cartoon character lol. The smithsonian has dibs on the one from Waikiki aquarium after it naturally dies. Lucky!!!!

Apparently the fish is pretty hardy as long as it is in cooler water so the $6000 price tag won't hurt as much as say...a knife wound in the rib cage lol.

I know what you mean ... my wife's Father was in the English Army and an Officer and when she tells me stories about him I can see the similarities and the way such men act .... they are used to be in command ... regardless of who they talk to or how old they are ... :)

And yes many of us if we had the money would set up super XXXXL aquariums with all those fancy fish like the ones you mention that sell for 10's of thousands ... I believe that one sold for 30K to a Japanese Hobbyist, and yes Waikiki has one.

The other one is he Narcosis Angel ... another pretty penny needed for that one but not as bad ... only a few thousand ... The Greenwich Aquarium Store sold one for $5000 I believe. But let's dream on right ? It never hurts though to to do ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Angel fish I meant the C boylei.

What you were referring to is :

seuss.jpg

A beauty for sure

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...
I only know of one Dr Seuss fish....
Which honestly surprised me that a fish that is so rare was named after one of the most well known people on the planet when any number of more common critters could easily pull off the Dr Seuss look. LPS corals could have easily been classified as Seussian Flowers if i was involved in the initial labeling of all this stuff. Oh and I'd spell Conch in a way that no one would fight over!
There are a few oddly named animals out there. Naming them after the people involved in finding them is one thing but when scientists try to make creative names for things it cracks me up or should I say Crackilus Upthius?

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also an extremely limited amount of actual information about the fish. Took me quite a while to gather enough info to understand its needs. At least I didn't have to risk diving for it. Lol

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Show me the angels. :) I have a 125g FW tank that could easily support another pair. I've been on the lookout for a specimen or two that I like. Could be a month or two but I might have to have you ship me a couple.

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...
I only know of one Dr Seuss fish....
Which honestly surprised me that a fish that is so rare was named after one of the most well known people on the planet when any number of more common critters could easily pull off the Dr Seuss look. LPS corals could have easily been classified as Seussian Flowers if i was involved in the initial labeling of all this stuff. Oh and I'd spell Conch in a way that no one would fight over!
There are a few oddly named animals out there. Naming them after the people involved in finding them is one thing but when scientists try to make creative names for things it cracks me up or should I say Crackilus Upthius?

Yes very true and with Zoanthids and Palys it's even more wild as stores themselves just give them crazy names like " Blue Monster Eyes" or some other wild name .. :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also an extremely limited amount of actual information about the fish. Took me quite a while to gather enough info to understand its needs. At least I didn't have to risk diving for it. Lol

Very true ... there was an article about them on Reef Builders I seem to remember but other than that there is not much available ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me the angels. :) I have a 125g FW tank that could easily support another pair. I've been on the lookout for a specimen or two that I like. Could be a month or two but I might have to have you ship me a couple.

What kind ... the ones we were writing about are expensive ones .. in fact very expensive ... but there are some great ones that are not all that pricy

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waikiki aquarium has a peppermint that cost $30,000. Might be cheaper to make fish clothes an pretend. I can see it now..."Picasso damsel hoodies, $19.99 As Seen on TV!"

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back