OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its more than I'd like. Before this experiment the sand was pink..that area is pure brown. LEDs and cell phones make horrible pics. I haven't had the funds for a good camera.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its more than I'd like. Before this experiment the sand was pink..that area is pure brown. LEDs and cell phones make horrible pics. I haven't had the funds for a good camera.

True cameras can distort the color and can the lighting ... and on the diatoms ... I wonder why they are not going away with all the CUC's you have, and as I said Nerite and Cerith snails should consume them ...

I have an Olympus but it so much easier to use one's phone that I rarely use the Camera :(

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, cell pics are kind of the new standard i guess. Especially with that new Nokia Lumina with 41 megapixels coming out...if it was available through Verizon I would buy it for my woman and make her take my pics haha. I like my iPhone though, it goes great with my iMac and I have all my business related apps on it...and iMovie is SO FUN!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, cell pics are kind of the new standard i guess. Especially with that new Nokia Lumina with 41 megapixels coming out...if it was available through Verizon I would buy it for my woman and make her take my pics haha. I like my iPhone though, it goes great with my iMac and I have all my business related apps on it...and iMovie is SO FUN!

Indeed and that Nokia with 41.2 Megapixel has a great camera of course but the Windows Mobile version that is on it did not get too good a review ... but yes I agree more and more people are using their phones and doing mobile posts as that makes a good combination

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice experiment. Are you still using a filter sock on the out put of the stink tank?
Sure would trap a lot of the crud that may otherwise get back to the DT indeed... but a he said may not be that easy to install and trouble to maintain, well not trouble but a lot of work as it would IMO need cleaning just about every day if a fine enough one is used.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a casual observer, it looks like the diatoms and cyano are getting worse in the DT, not better?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a casual observer, it looks like the diatoms and cyano are getting worse in the DT, not better?
Seems that way ... but let's see what he, SeymourDuncan has to say ... could be the light or the way the pics are taken not sure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very nice planning and plumbing. did 2 water changes and reduced whites by 4 hrs for one week and reduced feedings and all mine disappeared (thankfully).

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice planning and plumbing. did 2 water changes and reduced whites by 4 hrs for one week and reduced feedings and all mine disappeared (thankfully).

Thanks, the more input the better as it will bring to light other methods (natural ones) that work ... I have seen this approach a few times but no info on now bad the infestation really was and I am not sure that water changes and reducing the photoperiod works when the infestation is severe .... how bad was yours if I may ask ?

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatoms are not shrinking or growing this week and I know exactly why.

My display tank gets 12 hours of light. I've had it on a 12hr photoperiod (not to be confused with photo shoot) for 5 months now. This is because i sell corals to people, so having the lights on is a must. The lights will stay on schedule until I complete my frag tank.

I think cutting my lights down to 4 hours of white and 6 hours of blue will clean the tank completely of these evil brown powder monsters we call diatoms.

Been a long weekend of prepping the prop tank so I should be good to go very soon.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatoms are not shrinking or growing this week and I know exactly why.

My display tank gets 12 hours of light. I've had it on a 12hr photoperiod (not to be confused with photo shoot) for 5 months now. This is because i sell corals to people, so having the lights on is a must. The lights will stay on schedule until I complete my frag tank.

I think cutting my lights down to 4 hours of white and 6 hours of blue will clean the tank completely of these evil brown powder monsters we call diatoms.

Been a long weekend of prepping the prop tank so I should be good to go very soon.

Keep us posted on what the does for you, well for the tank ... when I see diatoms which is very rare since the tank is over a year old, I just siphon them out and do a water change with RO/DI water + salt (prepared 24 hours before) ... and that usually takes care of them but I know you are trying to figure out a "natural" way to do it ...

The light change may help indeed ....

Back