My self induced cyanobacterial bloom

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. Go figure.

Well of course when it comes to words/vocabulary ... there is always a way to go back further in time and find where the English word was derived from e.g. Latin or Greek, or some other language ... I love etymology and often for the origin of certain words ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry again about the lack of picture, but I figured my frag tank build was a bit more important today...well the week.

Gotta have somewhere to grow frags :) I actually haven't even seen the cyano-tank in a coup days myself. It is blocked by a dry erase board that is wedged between some stuff while I'm arranging the rest of the room. It is gonna be gross I bet.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry again about the lack of picture, but I figured my frag tank build was a bit more important today...well the week.

Gotta have somewhere to grow frags :) I actually haven't even seen the cyano-tank in a coup days myself. It is blocked by a dry erase board that is wedged between some stuff while I'm arranging the rest of the room. It is gonna be gross I bet.

Take your time SeymourDuncan ... no rush

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys! I have to make some coffee before I fall over. After that I will get down and dirty with a nice slimy photo shoot. I got some of my room organized a little better. I can now see my pet turtle again haha. Time to brew!

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bybasugu.jpg

se7ezava.jpg

6u9e2aha.jpg

Here's a few pics. Kinda hard with the bulb reflecting off the water. Didn't capture the slime like it is in person. The yellow light really doesn't help either.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys! I have to make some coffee before I fall over. After that I will get down and dirty with a nice slimy photo shoot. I got some of my room organized a little better. I can now see my pet turtle again haha. Time to brew!

Good for you and hope you enjoyed the coffee ... nice and strong .... and don't give any to that turtle ... :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics. Kinda hard with the bulb reflecting off the water. Didn't capture the slime like it is in person. The yellow light really doesn't help either.

So what has all of this muck accomplished in the main tank and the cyano and diatom problems ....

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That my friend will be seen after 4 o'clock pm. My lights don't come on until then to combat heat in the room...though there is not much since I use LED

The diatoms are still a small issue on the sand but there is barely any cyano in the main tank. I'll get pics of that this evening. My display tank is never blocked from view :) lol

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That my friend will be seen after 4 o'clock pm. My lights don't come on until then to combat heat in the room...though there is not much since I use LED

The diatoms are still a small issue on the sand but there is barely any cyano in the main tank. I'll get pics of that this evening. My display tank is never blocked from view :) lol

NP .. whenever you get around to it ... and glad to read the the Cyanos are nearly gone in the DT ... Diatoms seem to come and go ... sometimes due to the salt used, sometimes because the RO/DI is not as low in silicates at it should be, or when using some additives that may contain some and probably a bunch of other reasons ... Maybe some CUC's can take of them

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 100% sure my cleanup crew is lazy. Haha. I have plenty of snails (14 at least) that have been reproducing ungodly amounts of tiny white baby snails. I also have around 20 hermits of various girth. There is a brittle star and 3 banded serpents, one that eats so much he looks like an urchin with dread locks for a day or two haha. I do have a heavy fish count, they all get along great, and most have a job, but they eat alot and poo.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 100% sure my cleanup crew is lazy. Haha. I have plenty of snails (14 at least) that have been reproducing ungodly amounts of tiny white baby snails. I also have around 20 hermits of various girth. There is a brittle star and 3 banded serpents, one that eats so much he looks like an urchin with dread locks for a day or two haha. I do have a heavy fish count, they all get along great, and most have a job, but they eat alot and poo.

Wow you could have a CUC sale and still have plenty left it seems ... I guess they just don't like diatoms .. of course not many do ... although Cerith and Nerite ones should. When you siphon them out do they just come back ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I think it will all work out in the end but I am just concerned that most hobbyists do not what that sump that is like a cesspool underneath their tank ... but then who knows, as that is just my personal opinion ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light special, aisle 90
zu7ymyzu.jpg

45 minutes until my whites come on. As you can see, my tank is in Smurf mode at the moment.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back