OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi is all I have ever used besides my first 10 gallon....bad experience lol.

However the source of silicates is most likely from some Aragocrete in my sump. That's te only thing I can think besides the lighting, however I've never had it do that before. I really doubt inducing Cyanobacteria would create silicates, but that is really the only thing that I have done that is any different than before.

Here's what I will do:
1st: reduce lights. Let that go for a week or 2 and see if it needs yet another approach.
2nd: replace aragocrete with fully cured live rock of equal surface area. If that doesn't work I will dig deeper
3rd: complete refresh. I will mix 50 gallons (out of the 150 total gallons of water would be 33.33333333333333333333333333333333% rounded up) and siphon any and all that I can from the DT, leaving the stink tank be. If that doesn't work:
4th: clean out the stink tanks growth and detritus build up along with shaking the rocks off in the dirty water, this resetting the filter with the possibility of the stink tank not getting dirty again, thus creating another display or refugium? Only time will tell!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi is all I have ever used besides my first 10 gallon....bad experience lol.

However the source of silicates is most likely from some Aragocrete in my sump. That's te only thing I can think besides the lighting, however I've never had it do that before. I really doubt inducing Cyanobacteria would create silicates, but that is really the only thing that I have done that is any different than before.

Here's what I will do:
1st: reduce lights. Let that go for a week or 2 and see if it needs yet another approach.
2nd: replace aragocrete with fully cured live rock of equal surface area. If that doesn't work I will dig deeper
3rd: complete refresh. I will mix 50 gallons (out of the 150 total gallons of water would be 33.33333333333333333333333333333333% rounded up) and siphon any and all that I can from the DT, leaving the stink tank be. If that doesn't work:
4th: clean out the stink tanks growth and detritus build up along with shaking the rocks off in the dirty water, this resetting the filter with the possibility of the stink tank not getting dirty again, thus creating another display or refugium? Only time will tell!

Sounds like a multiple stage and option plan but I guess that is what you need to do ...

And yes I think you are right ... the silicate may have leached from the aragocrete ... or possibly from the salt you use ... that or additives you have and use ..

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean reef crystals are what I use...anyone have a problem with silicates from the orange buckets?

Locally I can only get instant ocean, tiny bags of I think fluval, and petno...I meant petco brand

Never used anything but the instant ocean since day one. I did use silicate sand back when I had my 125 and I actually did not have diatoms after the initial cycle, which with the sand was vicious while it lasted. I remember watching it go from white to complete brown/orange and then back
To white with purple coraline starting everywhere but the water itself. I miss that tank, even undrilled it was still amazing...traded it for a dog and a smaller tank though...and I love the dog more i think lol.

I'll get to work now on the light schedule...have to hook up the laptop to the reef keeper...my fingers get sore pressing the buttons on the head unit a hundred times lol. No net module yet :( still kinda spoiled though...for the good of the tank.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean reef crystals are what I use...anyone have a problem with silicates from the orange buckets?

Locally I can only get instant ocean, tiny bags of I think fluval, and petno...I meant petco brand

Never used anything but the instant ocean since day one. I did use silicate sand back when I had my 125 and I actually did not have diatoms after the initial cycle, which with the sand was vicious while it lasted. I remember watching it go from white to complete brown/orange and then back
To white with purple coraline starting everywhere but the water itself. I miss that tank, even undrilled it was still amazing...traded it for a dog and a smaller tank though...and I love the dog more i think lol.

I'll get to work now on the light schedule...have to hook up the laptop to the reef keeper...my fingers get sore pressing the buttons on the head unit a hundred times lol. No net module yet :( still kinda spoiled though...for the good of the tank.

Based on info you can find on the Net on analyses done on Reef Crystals you will find that it contains a low amount of silicates. A batch tested by one set of Hobbyists reprorts a level of 0.5 to 0.8 ppm ... but of course each time you do a water change that level will increase slightly ... as there are silicate consumers in our tanks and some will precipitate out of solution, so not sure if the salt is the issue or not and this info is given FWIW as I did not test the salt myself ...

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just read that on the salt too. I need a silicate test kit...I should see if the freshly mixed saltwater creates a higher silicate reading than 1lb/8 gallons (rough estimation of the amount of
Aragocrete I have) soaking after a week or 2 in some discarded tank water.

I just got all 3 light schedules reprogrammed, te fuge, the stink, and the display. I moved the display lighting to 5hrs full light with a blue hour before and after for dusk/dawn.
The fuge is lit 16hrs, along with the stink tank. They have some overlap...and I forgot to write down those times lol..I'll get back to the RKE and get those when I am back in that area. Gotta build a litter box closet now...the dog has been...well lets just say its not food she is eating. Time to bust out some power tools. :)

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I gutted the closet, painted it, threw down some linoleum in a "bowl" formation. Basically a lip around the base of the closet. This will keep any litter from making its way into any hidden crevasse. The kitties love to fling their stuff...so now it is easily cleanable and next I have to make a door large enough for a fat cat but small enough for a petite dog..it will be custom.
I'm also installing a vent fan in the abandoned chimney that so happens to be going through the closet :)

Just have to remove some 1000 year old masonry. (Actually the house is only 118 years old).

Taking a break...but had a thought before I got back to it..I have most aspects of this as natural as possible except for the water change rate in the ocean is like 100% at all times. That could get pricey...but maybe I should consider adding an auto change system? Gallon a day or more? Hmmmmm

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just read that on the salt too. I need a silicate test kit...I should see if the freshly mixed saltwater creates a higher silicate reading than 1lb/8 gallons (rough estimation of the amount of
Aragocrete I have) soaking after a week or 2 in some discarded tank water.

I just got all 3 light schedules reprogrammed, te fuge, the stink, and the display. I moved the display lighting to 5hrs full light with a blue hour before and after for dusk/dawn.
The fuge is lit 16hrs, along with the stink tank. They have some overlap...and I forgot to write down those times lol..I'll get back to the RKE and get those when I am back in that area. Gotta build a litter box closet now...the dog has been...well lets just say its not food she is eating. Time to bust out some power tools. :)

I now use and have for a while Bio.Sea Marine Mix from Aquacraft . net

Use many others before but with that one I get better results

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I gutted the closet, painted it, threw down some linoleum in a "bowl" formation. Basically a lip around the base of the closet. This will keep any litter from making its way into any hidden crevasse. The kitties love to fling their stuff...so now it is easily cleanable and next I have to make a door large enough for a fat cat but small enough for a petite dog..it will be custom.
I'm also installing a vent fan in the abandoned chimney that so happens to be going through the closet :)

Just have to remove some 1000 year old masonry. (Actually the house is only 118 years old).

Taking a break...but had a thought before I got back to it..I have most aspects of this as natural as possible except for the water change rate in the ocean is like 100% at all times. That could get pricey...but maybe I should consider adding an auto change system? Gallon a day or more? Hmmmmm

Gee that is a bit of a change of topic .., what are you trying to prevent by making those changes ... and what is the connection to the cyanos and diatoms :) :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine was literally a carpet of purple and everything including glass covered with purple slime.
Thanks, the more input the better as it will bring to light other methods (natural ones) that work ... I have seen this approach a few times but no info on now bad the infestation really was and I am not sure that water changes and reducing the photoperiod works when the infestation is severe .... how bad was yours if I may ask ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was literally a carpet of purple and everything including glass covered with purple slime.

Thanks for that clarification .... if the infestation was that bad and it went away with only water changes then that is a first as usually it is not that easy at all to get rid of red slime. Did you do anything else ?

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least I'm not attempting a way to use cat nutrients in a natural way. I think the woman would kill me haha.

My lights come one earlier now, so around 2 I should have a good picture of the sand today to use as a comparison for about a week from now. If that gets cured ill be happy and just blame it on my light schedule. :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least I'm not attempting a way to use cat nutrients in a natural way. I think the woman would kill me haha.

My lights come one earlier now, so around 2 I should have a good picture of the sand today to use as a comparison for about a week from now. If that gets cured ill be happy and just blame it on my light schedule. :)

SeymourDuncan, a few things including a special offer on the e-Version of my book for those who follow this thread ....

Yes I kind of figured that you would not "explore" what that would bring about .... and I don't think that cat and dog "doo" has lots of nutrient/fertilizer value as far as I remember ... and of course you would for sure not need it for a reef tank :)

Yes, having a photo record album of corals, fish, tank look etc ... so you can compare based on historical data is indeed important and is what I recommend everyone should do ... and it is included my Nan Reefs Book of course, and for all who read this and follow this thread and those who wish to pass it on ...

Not sure though whether it is the Lighting that is the issue ... IMO it is the level of silicates (free and regular that can go back into solution) that is the cause of the Diatoms ... As I said that is why I changed salt a number of times till I found one that does not add silicates .... the Bio.Sea Marine Mix ... and their pricing is pretty fair even if you live on the East coast or in the South etc... and not on the West Coast where they are located ... If anyone needs more info let me know ....
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I am starting to run real low on the printed versions of the 1st printing so anyone who is thinking about getting one, do not wait too long ... as I am down to less than 180 books left. Of course the e-Version will remain available .... AND .... as a special for today and tomorrow till 11.59 pm Wednesday, I am offering a special price of $15 instead of $20 (that's a 25% discount) .... and you can order it by making your payment directly to my Paypal account [email protected]

Do not go via my Website as that special price is not listed ... you need to make your payment directly to my Paypal Account ...

Thanks

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can't say I agree that dog waste is not full of nutrients..my grass grows like it wants to consume my house and the tomatoes that share the soil have overgrown the neighbors privacy fence on a weekly basis where I have to trim them. Their pee kills the grass in spots but they come back super charged. Lol, not a drop of store bought fertilizer for my yard...I wouldn't be able to mow enough times in a week haha.

Ok, enough "nutrient" talk outside the reef tank lol, back on subject.

Yes, it is definitely clear the silicates will have to be reduced. A shorter photo period will reduce my workload as far as diatom removal, now the issue is what to do with all this extra Salt!? I have about 30 gallons worth in a bucket....do I just bite the bullet and trash it or do I keep using it until it is done?

I am looking into the salt you mentioned now and I think that will be my approach.

Killer deal on the book! I get paid this weekend, so I will probably take that offer if it still is available. I have a 12g aquapod cycling still. Nothing but a pile of rock sand and water :)

I am on week 7, so its got quite a while before it will be ready for anything...there's some red titan macro algae under a fuge light. Some vegetarians will appreciate that. Don't worry, no tangs are going in my nano. :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can't say I agree that dog waste is not full of nutrients..my grass grows like it wants to consume my house and the tomatoes that share the soil have overgrown the neighbors privacy fence on a weekly basis where I have to trim them. Their pee kills the grass in spots but they come back super charged. Lol, not a drop of store bought fertilizer for my yard...I wouldn't be able to mow enough times in a week haha.

Ok, enough "nutrient" talk outside the reef tank lol, back on subject.

Yes, it is definitely clear the silicates will have to be reduced. A shorter photo period will reduce my workload as far as diatom removal, now the issue is what to do with all this extra Salt!? I have about 30 gallons worth in a bucket....do I just bite the bullet and trash it or do I keep using it until it is done?

I am looking into the salt you mentioned now and I think that will be my approach.

Killer deal on the book! I get paid this weekend, so I will probably take that offer if it still is available. I have a 12g aquapod cycling still. Nothing but a pile of rock sand and water :)

I am on week 7, so its got quite a while before it will be ready for anything...there's some red titan macro algae under a fuge light. Some vegetarians will appreciate that. Don't worry, no tangs are going in my nano. :)

Well good for you on the nutrients ... I do not grow anything in the garden and neither does my wife ... we do have 3 dogs and 2 cats though ...

And on the salt ... I would just use it till you have none left as for the other one to arrive will take some time anyway ...

And yes if you want to order this week end, that is fine with me ... I will extend the deal till Sunday night then 11.59 pm

And if that tank has been cycling for 7 weeks the cycle should have completed already IMO

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 7 Weeks is still short to me, I have cycled up to 6 months before. I let the nitrogen cycle go with a table shrimp and then I wait until the algae cycle is finished. Right now I'm around the end of the diatoms and starting the cyano. I'm guessing 2 more weeks of winter :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 7 Weeks is still short to me, I have cycled up to 6 months before. I let the nitrogen cycle go with a table shrimp and then I wait until the algae cycle is finished. Right now I'm around the end of the diatoms and starting the cyano. I'm guessing 2 more weeks of winter :)

Oh I see what you are doing ... bypassing all the intermediate stages and doing so before adding any life forms to the tank ... let the fun continue :) but you are on your way ....

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I definitely don't enjoy battling the cycle, so time does all the work (besides the top offs).
It has been growing a pod/worm population, so that is exciting to watch. :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I definitely don't enjoy battling the cycle, so time does all the work (besides the top offs).
It has been growing a pod/worm population, so that is exciting to watch. :)

Yes I can imagine that it is fun and exciting to see all the life forms that seem to appear out of nowhere as you never knowingly added them to the tank ... but ... they show up at some point any way .

Back