My Tank crash - Hopefully you can learn from my experience

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with Cory, at the time of stress the bac loading from a sandbed is the largest liability in the tank, they colonize not only each grain but the waste impacted in between. the largest oxygen consumer group in a reef tank would be found in the sand bed where applicable, helps on planning next round. id like to see a restart with a nano reef as opposed to nothing, a little model of reef to work up from/

Last edited:

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a horrible feeling. Had my tank crash on me 6-7 months ago. Im starting all over with a redsea reefer 250. We learn from our mistakes and this time around i am sure to cover everything to avoid disasters.
Good luck and hope to see tank up and running again

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I hope you don't get out. This is obviously a passion for you, like it is for many of us. I don't think that will go away. It didn't for me. When I lost my reef following a hurricane, I did get out. I felt like you do right now. I was done - I thought. Six months later, I couldn't stand it anymore and was planning a new tank. I would have been much better off if I would have just cleaned the tank out and started it over right then and there. Think long and hard before pulling the plug. I know Humblefish and he gives good advice. If you do tear it down, hang onto it for a while. Besides, you have a cool battery back-up on the way. :)

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched your video and was heartbroken. I'm so sorry for your losses. I did subscribe to your YouTube channel and as soon as I can figure out how, I plan to make a donation to you to help you get rolling again..

On the lighter side, your out takes video is hysterical. The fact that you are pretty easy on the eyes doesn't hurt :)

Wishing you all the best.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered as well if a simple large bubbler setup on battery backup can hold a tank of fish a few hours, assuming o2 stress is a quicker kill vs temp drops. Another strange twist, peroxide might have been a helpful backup, helpful potential for upcoming storm preps where applicable etc

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This battery operated pump plugs into regular a/c power. It has a relay that closes when the a/c power goes off and turns the battery powered pump on. It has two D cell batteries. If you leave an airstone submerged in the tank, it is a decent safety measure against power outages. A friend of mine had at least one of these in his heavily stocked 135 and it helped his tank survive a hurricane for a day or two, until he could get back home and collect his livestock and move it. He had some losses, but they were minimal. 90° heat at the time was another factor. Not saying it is a cure-all, but for under $20, it is at least one safeguard.

Penn-Plax B11 Pump.jpg

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heart totally sank when I watched your video. I'm so glad you made it though. Made me think about my own setup and the "what if" question popped into my head. I have a generator but if I was asleep then I'd be screwed. Time to look into some kind of battery backup system . :/

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to see this. I would say I have a frag pack waiting for you when your ready, but I'm not sure your in the US. If you are send me a PM and I'll gladly send out some replacements.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was done so many times following a tank crash and yet I'm still here. ;)

My suggestion would be to store everything away - tank, equipment, rock, etc. Maybe just take a break. If you are still feeling "done" after 6 months, then is the time to sell.

I agree with this I cant tell you how many times I have given up on the hobby sold everything and soon enough I am buying eveything all over again. Once your in the hobby you can never just walk away.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this happen to someone with such a huge passion for this hobby. Always at full throttle, sharing your ups and downs. I would keep what you have, livestock wise. Cruise with what you have, and see how you feel as time goes on. One day you will decide to add more livestock or just to break it all down. Reefers with hurricane threats feel your pain. Hurricanes causes power outages for days or even weeks. Many of us lost our complete tank several times. Some get out, some rebuild. Hope you decide to rebuild.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the air bubbler will keep everything alive so long as the battery lasts. 24-48 hours on an air pump will be fine.

What you really want is a small light, even if from a cellphone, as that causes photosynthesis and subsequent oxygen production.

ScoobyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this, I too enjoy your videos. Take couple days to mourne, than put up the donations page.

OP
OP
L

loumaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to see this. I would say I have a frag pack waiting for you when your ready, but I'm not sure your in the US. If you are send me a PM and I'll gladly send out some replacements.
That's very kind of you but unfortunately I'm in the UK

OP
OP
L

loumaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This experience has made me realise that as a community... Despite our flaws sometimes with disagreements of opinion in how we keep out tanks... When something goes wrong everyone chips in for support and the support really has been over whelming

NeptuneGarden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SINGLE POINT FAILURE

It's not just power either. Stop and think about other ways in which if any single thing failed it could kill your whole tank.
Back ups for your backs for your back ups ......

pump failures
heater stuck on
runaway auto top off
runaway doser
ect
ect.

Sucks, I know. .... now you have a good excuse to rescape the tank ?

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to read this.

I am surprised that this happened so quickly. I have had my tank without power and no flow for 1.5 hours almost every week when doing water changes and maintenance. As well as at least a few times a year for 2-3 hours. I've never had any stress on the system.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back