My Tank crash - Hopefully you can learn from my experience

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could such a thing happen from only 4 hours without power? These fish are shipped with less then a gallon of water and they are like that for 24 hours if not more. Very sorry for your loss

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could such a thing happen from only 4 hours without power? These fish are shipped with less then a gallon of water and they are like that for 24 hours if not more. Very sorry for your loss
Fish are shipped with pure oxygen in the bag, this really helps them out. In a heavily stocked tank with no power the oxygen can run out really fast. I was fortunate to only lose a single fish after a night of no power in my 120g, but I had substantially smaller fish than loumaggs. Most of mine were in really bad shape the next day but it was only maybe 6-8 hours without power.

ParadiseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry for this unfortunate event. Hopefully you move on with this hobby, I enjoyed watching your videos.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also lost fish to an overnight power outage, but it could as easily be while we are work or on a day trip. I have found the most cost effective and quick way to save your tank, at least for a day or so, is with a battery powered air pump that goes on when it senses the power is out. They are like $12 on Amazon and they will run for days on a couple battery's.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also lost fish to an overnight power outage, but it could as easily be while we are work or on a day trip. I have found the most cost effective and quick way to save your tank, at least for a day or so, is with a battery powered air pump that goes on when it senses the power is out. They are like $12 on Amazon and they will run for days on a couple battery's.

I have one as well. But does it give enough oxygen to last more than maybe a couple of hours?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one as well. But does it give enough oxygen to last more than maybe a couple of hours?

The one I have will run for like 12 hrs on 2 D Cell batteries. Keep plenty of batteries on hand.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we lose power, I usually turn my generator off around 11 pm for the night, and the battery air pump keeps everything fine till I fire it back up 7 or 8 hours later. I imagine if you have a big tank, say over a 100, you might need a few of them if your heavily stocked,

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heart is very heavy for you. Same thing happened to me in 1993. I came back from a weekend home from college to learn the power source for my tank shared a circuit with a neighboring apartment and had been tripped for a day and a half. I knew what happened as soon as I entered. I understand your pain.
When I got back into the hobby 4 years ago, one of my first purchases was a battery backup for my vortechs. It has saved my tank at least 3 times. I live in the lightning capital of the world so we are prone to outages. I have one backup that supplies one mp40 on my 155 gal. and it kept everything alive for 10 hours during our most recent outage.
I love your videos Lou and see your passion for the hobby and I hope you stick with it I also understand if you need to take some time off. Hope you don't, but if you do we'll all be here for you when you return.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear sbout your misfortune. This has been very enlightening and I'm sure it will help a lot of people! Right now I have everything on my tank hooked up to a backup battery but it will only last an hour and a half if the power goes out. This has actually helped for a few short power outages while I was at work but I think I need to reconfigure it so it only runs a few things like the wave makers and maybe heater so it will last longer.

OP
OP
L

loumaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear sbout your misfortune. This has been very enlightening and I'm sure it will help a lot of people! Right now I have everything on my tank hooked up to a backup battery but it will only last an hour and a half if the power goes out. This has actually helped for a few short power outages while I was at work but I think I need to reconfigure it so it only runs a few things like the wave makers and maybe heater so it will last longer.
What back up do you have?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...1463952281&sr=1-2&keywords=ups+battery+backup
I have this small 900W cyber tower but I only have a 20g nano tank. Its been great for all the little power outages we have, where I come home and all my clocks are reset but probably weren't more than a few minutes. It will keep everything on my tank including the T5 lights on for a little over 90 minutes. It also sounds an alarm when the power goes out which would wake me up if I was home sleeping. I don't think it would power a larger tank for too long but it may be enough to keep a couple of power heads on for a while. The larger size towers can get expensive if you need to hook more up to it.

Back