Need help connecting to P4 wifi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am setting my P4 up again and have been struggling all day to finally connect the p4 to the internet to update the wifi module through the xxx.xx.x.xx method.

I have set both an automatic and static ip and i have confirmed through my packets that the server is online.. ex 4/4 packets, although I cannot for the life of me connect to upgrade the wifi module.

Its so strange because I was able to connect briefly for one second then from there I put the wrong password in and since then cannot even get the profilux 4 screen to load again. I am losing my mind.. What do I do? Its also weird because it will not let me connect the wifi setup itself in the GHL pc app. like I currently have only the wired connection and whenever I search whether it is through the auto search or manually add my device address I cant connect to it. Says cannot find any on the server. But CMD says all the packets are being received and sent back?

So confused. I wanted to set up everything right this time. I got lazy and didnt set the powerbar up and only used the sensors for the past few months, but now want to take advantage of what the p4 can actually do.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto @Marco@GHLUSA @Vinny@GHLUSA @WWIII Let's get some knowledgeable folks in here:)

I just spent the last 5 hours trying to set up my 2.1 Doser on my myGHL account and short of smashing it with a hammer I'm out of ideas ;Shifty

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto @Marco@GHLUSA @Vinny@GHLUSA @WWIII Let's get some knowledgeable folks in here:)

I just spent the last 5 hours trying to set up my 2.1 Doser on my myGHL account and short of smashing it with a hammer I'm out of ideas ;Shifty
I almost brought the hammer out.. Everyone thinks I am crazy for sitting here on the floor of my living room trying my best to do whatever I can to get it to work. Almost watched all the youtube videos even for stuff I dont own yet :p

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost watched all the youtube videos even for stuff I dont own yet

Even tried that..... no luck;Rage But I am certain that things will work themselves out in time :)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So somehow I have managed to get to the 'dashboard' page @ the address I am able to ping my profilux on.. 192.168.1.131. This is great as I have been trying to do this all day, even though I cant actually connect to it through the GCC app without having it crash by continuing to load the address and it says ' unable to find any ghl devices on network'. although now when i get to the dashboard and go to update the firmware.bin from the newest GCC update.. I get an error that it failed to install. I am losing my mind.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 - ok lets see if we can figure this out.

Can you connect for me to the unit via USB and set up a static IP addrsss, and DNS address on the unit save the settings then reboot.

If the firmware fails the IP sometimes can be lost.

Once we do this use the Firmware update tool program via USB which will allow you to update both the firmware and the web pages files but before doing so are you on the latest firmware on your P4? Did you firmware update that already?

@JoshH - thanks for the tag :)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I will add this hint so you do my loose your mind, after you do the upgrade using the tool again you will set up your IP manually one last time, and you will need to setup your notifications email address and password again and save.

Once you save the IP address, gateway DNS, WiFi settings and so forth via the USB cable you still will not be able to connect to it immediately, it takes a few minutes but if you are like me and impatient and want to get back on it via the app, then connect to it again via USB and the unit will connect faster to the network or reboot the device both will have it connect after you do the network setup again :).

Also forgot to add when doing the static IP also do all your wireless setup SID and key also :) Last make sure DNS is correct, most times it the same as your default gateway on home networks but you can also use the public dns servers like 4.2.2.1 also :)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also some other hints :) as I have had this happen after attempting the WiFi upgrade we all go how do we know it failed or what happens when it does, besides we can not connect via IP.

Go into the GCC desktop software and click on the system communications panel useally after a failed firmware or even web page update that failed, which has not happen for me for a while click on the communications sub menu under system and look at the WiFi status you will not see checkbox next to the file system OK, when this happens the only way I been able to update it via directly using the firmware update tool by doing the steps in the video above.

31050BD5-67B5-48B0-AB21-C92844CC1979.jpeg

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.. So now I am completely lost at what I am even updating and even attempting to do at this point. I can not for the life of me connect to my profilux via 192.168.1.xxx. Every web browser I have used and whatever static Ip I set it to it still fails to load, although my profilux says it is actually connected to the webpage. I wish there was way to completely reset my profilux to my first time use settings because everytime I try to reset everything the profilux already says it is already connected. This is what I see on my profilux USB connection to the p4. I just tried to do the video thing and it said it was successful. still unsure what that means considering it will not let me connect at all. I can see and connect to my proifliux wifi signal it is broadcasting however.. but that really doesnt do much at all for me.

I guess my questions start here..

Why can i not connect to the profilux through the browser?
What would be the next step to just say forget the browser step and just continue on with what I was trying to do?
I want to begin to set up my powerbar and whatnot, I purchased the ultimate set which also comes with a touch screen I could set up as well. This is just the beginning of attempting to automate my aquarium, although I am remembering why I didn't end up getting very far last time... @Ditto

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go about using the firmware update tool to delete my current configurations? It says it will allow me to delete the wifi stuff on it? or is that a bad idea?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 - First set the Wifi Mode to Client or change the subnet mask on your access point to a different IP Range. They should not be in the same subnet mask as this can cause issues, and may be why it not connecting out correctly.

I believe this may be your issue, if you first select client, save and reboot the device and see if can connect to it via the APP or via IP address, I believe you will be able to. If you then want both the access point and the client then change the IP address to something like a 192.168.2.86. I had this issue and could only make it work by not being the same IP/subnet range as my home network.

I would first update the P4 Firmware first as many new things have been added, and issues fixed,
Go here and donwload https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/

GHL Contro lCenter V1.1.1.8
or
GHL Control Center V1.1.2.1 (Beta) which I am currently using without any issues.

When you install the new version of software and launch the new GCC Control center it going to show an update is available. First back up your config and your probe data.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 - First set the Wifi Mode to Client or change the subnet mask on your access point to a different IP Range. They should not be in the same subnet mask as this can cause issues, and may be why it not connecting out correctly.

I believe this may be your issue, if you first select client, save and reboot the device and see if can connect to it via the APP or via IP address, I believe you will be able to. If you then want both the access point and the client then change the IP address to something like a 192.168.2.86. I had this issue and could only make it work by not being the same IP/subnet range as my home network.

I would first update the P4 Firmware first as many new things have been added, and issues fixed,

or
GHL Control Center V1.1.2.1 (Beta) which I am currently using without any issues.

When you install the new version of software and launch the new GCC Control center it going to show an update is available. First back up your config and your probe data.
I am going to try it with the beta you suggested. I was already on GCC 1.1.8 and was having the problems. which subnet do I change?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

or

Ok, so I managed to change the the wife mode to just client and was able to connect to the address, i however have not been able to update the wifi module via the browser (firmware.bin from the newest GCC file) It loads and then fails. I will try to update it through the video you provided before. How Will I be able to see the firmware it is on? at the 192.xxxxxx dashboard screen it says I am on 6851 and web version 1.02.. am I getting places???

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GCC is still unable to find the 'wifi' version of my profilux. I am so confused why it says no GHL devices on the network when it clearly has access through everything from CMD to the wifi to now I can connect to it through the ip address. What am I missing? I have tried changing the timeout to a higher number, I have tried to change the delay time, I have even tried both static and auto IPs .. This will just not appear on my network no matter what I do and its extremely frustrating.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I can get to the dashboard online @ xxx.xx.xxx.xx is by typing in the search bar or hitting the 'configuration button in the 'administrator , setup new connection , added ip manually and it was able to find it when i hit the configure button but not if I hit save and double click on it for some reason. What does this even open? Can I just start learning about the other stuff yet or?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your screenshots, here's what I'm noticing...

Access point settings
  • This is incorrectly configured. You don't need to change the default IP settings here. Revert back to 192.168.4.1
  • In this area, you only give this hotspot network a name and password.
  • If you want to connect to the P4's HOTSPOT, you search for networks by the name you set in the SSID. The IP address of the HOTSPOT connection will be 192.168.4.1
  • The P4's hotspot can be accessed if you set the Wi-Fi mode to Client & Access Point.
Wi-Fi module firmware
  • You are currently on 6772. Our most recent FW version for the Wi-Fi module is 6851.
  • You can update this firmware in 2 ways; via web browser or via USB.
  • When doing the update via the web browser, you must type-in the IP address of your P4 into the web browser's address bar. In your screenshot, this is 192.168.1.88.
  • You can also do the update via USB if need be.

Connecting to P4 via WiFi in GCC
  • In your connection settings for the P4 in GCC, you should have the IP address of your P4 entered into the Host field; 192.168.1.88
  • If you're having trouble connecting, delete this connection and make a new one, then try again.
  • As long as the green light on the P4 is ON, your controller is connected to your home network.
Other tips
  • Feel free to continue with the other setup processes; probe calibration, setting up functions, etc. We have a resource guide to walk you through the initial setup setups which can be found here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-setting-up-your-profilux-4.502135/

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am beginning to believe my access point settings are a problem for me. I can get on the ip from the connect app on my phone but when I changed the settings to accesspoint it wouldnt
From your screenshots, here's what I'm noticing...

Access point settings
  • This is incorrectly configured. You don't need to change the default IP settings here. Revert back to 192.168.4.1
  • In this area, you only give this hotspot network a name and password.
  • If you want to connect to the P4's HOTSPOT, you search for networks by the name you set in the SSID. The IP address of the HOTSPOT connection will be 192.168.4.1
  • The P4's hotspot can be accessed if you set the Wi-Fi mode to Client & Access Point.
Wi-Fi module firmware
  • You are currently on 6772. Our most recent FW version for the Wi-Fi module is 6851.
  • You can update this firmware in 2 ways; via web browser or via USB.
  • When doing the update via the web browser, you must type-in the IP address of your P4 into the web browser's address bar. In your screenshot, this is 192.168.1.88.
  • You can also do the update via USB if need be.

Connecting to P4 via WiFi in GCC
  • In your connection settings for the P4 in GCC, you should have the IP address of your P4 entered into the Host field; 192.168.1.88
  • If you're having trouble connecting, delete this connection and make a new one, then try again.
  • As long as the green light on the P4 is ON, your controller is connected to your home network.
Other tips
  • Feel free to continue with the other setup processes; probe calibration, setting up functions, etc. We have a resource guide to walk you through the initial setup setups which can be found here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-setting-up-your-profilux-4.502135/

Hi Vinny

I can see the green light on my p4 and can connect via the ip address now via the browser by typing in the ip address in it. as of right now it is 192.168.1.96. I am unable however to save in the settings and access the wifi connection through GCC. It says "could not connect would you like to change the settings, even tho if I press the 'configuration button it allows me to connect to the dashboard ip screen.

I am unable to update the wifi module through the GCC app. It is just not an option.. its blurred out. I am however to update it through the wifi firmware tool

Capture 3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo! Somehow I managed to get it to actually connect via WiFi! What would be the recommended first steps to take and what order should I set stuff up? I am thinking my heater and sensors first

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have run into a new problem... whilst trying to set up the profilux on my GHL it says the security key is invalid? How do I go about getting a new one?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back