OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family... not to sound like a broken record (Reef life is real!! lol) But I think I'm done with cyano... this is by far the best my tank has looked prior to me getting the nasty red velvet of death (I know a bit dramatic). I've made some changes but this is what I've done to get this point. I have modified my approach and so far this is the most promising.

I dose cyano clean every day
Every other day, I dose A balance, Cyano clean and zeozym.

Ive modified this process, this is giving me the best results thus far. I was using Zeobak... this was feeding the cyano imo....it would get noticeably more aggressive. Removing this and adding A-balance to the mix... appear to be the key.

Before the change:
1636476003524.png

After:

1636476074610.png

And today its slightly better.

I get many questions on how my mag is doing. Im happy to report.... doing well! I do believe feeding is necessary....you just have to balance how much and how often, to balance the size...they can get big FAST!

Clownfish Egg laying:
1636476203214.png

1636476226197.png

Video of the clownfish doing grown-up fish stuff :cool:

1636476442385.png

1636476474239.png

1636476501754.png

Just a few moments ago:
1636477089735.png

Last edited:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family... not to sound like a broken record (Reef life is real!! lol) But I think I'm done with cyano... this is by far the best my tank has looked prior to me getting the nasty red velvet of death (I know a bit dramatic). I've made some changes but this is what I've done to get this point. I have modified my approach and so far this is the most promising.

I dose cyano clean every day
Every other day, I dose A balance, Cyano clean and zeozym.

Ive modified this process, this is giving me the best results thus far. I was using Zeobak... this was feeding the cyano imo....it would get noticeably more aggressive. Removing this and adding A-balance to the mix... appear to be the key.

Before the change:
1636476003524.png

After:

1636476074610.png

And today its slightly better.

I get many questions on how my mag is doing. Im happy to report.... doing well! I do believe feeding is necessary....you just have to balance how much and how often, to balance the size...they can get big FAST!

Clownfish Egg laying:
1636476203214.png

1636476226197.png

Video of the clownfish doing grown-up fish stuff :cool:

1636476442385.png

1636476474239.png

1636476501754.png

Just a few moments ago:
1636477089735.png
Great news and the tank is looking fantastic! Well done persisting through it and now you get to enjoy the rewards. The Mag looks awesome!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news and the tank is looking fantastic! Well done persisting through it and now you get to enjoy the rewards. The Mag looks awesome!
Thanks brother! Its been a rough ride, id be lying to you if i didnt talk myself out of shutting it down...lol.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother! Its been a rough ride, id be lying to you if i didnt talk myself out of shutting it down...lol.
I imagine so and I'm sure many before you did and many after you will. One of the beauties of these build threads and sharing what's going on with your tank! People can see that you can overcome!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family, i hope all is well. Just a update on the reef. Unfortunately, im still dealing with cyano...its not nearly as bad but... its there and in more than a few areas. Im finding the zeozym does prove to be somewhat effective for cyano, however im starting to see what appears to be a build up on my live rock from it? It also makes the skimmer pull the nasties out more effectively. This leads me to my next point. As great as my nyos 220 has been, i don't think its keeping up which is leading me to have cyano issues. This is my hypothesis, we know cyano is more related to dissolved organic compounds and imbalance, than phosphate or nitrate excess. After using zeozym, the following day the cyano appears to have a "dried out" appearance.

The more i thought about it, the more it appeared the nyos couldnt keep up. Again... my hypothesis. I took this as an opportunity to "upgrade" skimmers. I went with the Royal Exclusiv mini 200, powerful and space saving...or so they say.

The skimmer has been running for exactly 24 hours, and the picture is the result. Im impressed to say the least. I was expecting spotty performance until "broke in", not sure if thats applicable... It would take the nyos 220 3 days to produce what this thing did in 24 hours. I dont expect the skimmer to resolve my cyano issue, but if it helps any... it was worth it.

1644014779533.png

1644014812203.png

1644015429382.png

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice skimmer. I love my Tunze 9430dc in my 120. I feed heavy and practice heavy in/out. With that said I get cyano and control it with this. It works very well and does not bother corals, fish, or inverts.
I do a half dose the another half dose in a week.
It does not require a water change after treatment.
It will make your skimmer fo crazy so I take the cup off for a few days.
I will see no cyano for a couple months and sometimes longer.
It might be worth a look.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also advocate for trying some sort of red slime remover. I'm typically not a huge fan of mass treatments because we don't know how it effects smaller invert/crustacean populations but I've used red slime remover by chemiclean a few times and it's been successful for me. Just be sure to follow the directions exactly and you shouldn't see any I'll side effects. I feel like I may have posted this before but can't remember, so if it's a duplicate I apologize

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose chemicelan in my SPS rank once or twice per year with no issues.

have you tried dosing some no3? It seems like for me when nutrients are too low I have issues.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose chemicelan in my SPS rank once or twice per year with no issues.

have you tried dosing some no3? It seems like for me when nutrients are too low I have issues.
Hey bud... i have to dose both phos and nitrate otherwise they would quickly go to zero. Phos is currently .05 nitrate 11.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. In case I missed it, ati or Icp tests show what range for silicates?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. In case I missed it, ati or Icp tests show what range for silicates?
Hey bro, i send off ICP test on a regular basis. According to the ICP test my tank is AMAZING!! Lol.... I sent off another a couple of days ago. I will post once its available.

palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love you tank- Thinking about moving to TX, so I have been spying on which city in TX have some awesome tanks and stores- Your tank made Houston in the running for sure!!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love you tank- Thinking about moving to TX, so I have been spying on which city in TX have some awesome tanks and stores- Your tank made Houston in the running for sure!!
Wow! Super kind words...thank you very much. So much still needs to be done, but thank for the kind words.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family quick evening/am update.... the skimmer is kicking some serious butt! It is pulling the darkest, smellest, crap i think ive ever seen...not being dramatic either. Im used of tea colored skimmate, this RE is pulling dark coffee colored skimmate. I went from emptying the skimmer cup once a week to every couple of days. I have also stopped dosing zeozym, and some of the other bacteria to combat the cyano.... and yet the cyano still appears to be receding.... ill keep you guys updated.

I recieved my icp test and like i thought.... phosphate deficient. My hanna, according to the icp test is off by a few tenths. Im now dosing close to 3ml of day of phosphorus....based on my hanna test im at .05, but according to my icp test the hanna is off as mentioned earlier, a few tenths...which means my corals are starving. Im bumping the dosage and go from there. Pay attention to your tank folks....

Here is the link to my latest icp test

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back