New to RODI filter can someone assist pls

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just setting up my first ever RODI unit.

Got the first 3 stages plumbed in and the kit I bought said to run the water through them for 15 mins to flush them out.

Out of curiosity I tested the TDS.

The TDS out from the first 3 stages (before the RO filter) is exactly the same at 63.

Do they not reduce the TDS at all normally? or is it because my water is fairly low anyway that the next stage should get it down lower.

I still need to add the last few stages and will test again hoping it gets down to 0.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got the first 3 stages plumbed in and the kit I bought said to run the water through them for 15 mins to flush them out.

The TDS out from the first 3 stages (before the RO filter) is exactly the same at 63.

Do they not reduce the TDS at all normally? or is it because my water is fairly low anyway that the next stage should get it down lower.

I still need to add the last few stages and will test again hoping it gets down to 0.
What brand did you buy? Model?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what kit do you have? Pictures?

i assume you have a prefilter, a carbon cartridge, a DI cartridge and an RO membrane.

if the water isn't passing through the RO membrane you'll still get TDS.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The first three are probably sediment filter activated carbon and maybe a cartridge or such. TDS will not come down a lot until it passes through the membrane and the DI cartridge.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished setting it up I'm getting 0 after the RO and DI sections

I went for a Aquati 5 stage 150gpd I am extremely limited on room and just plan on doing around 10-20 gallon water changes a day and it seems to be flowing through pretty quick compared to what I thought it was going to be.

20240422_211247.jpg 20240422_211313.jpg

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like others have commented, the first stages will do little to remove TDS. The membrane does all the heavy lifting removing the majority and the DI polishes what’s left.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little bit concerned but I assume people with like 300 TDS from the tap will notice it coming down more. before or do people just not care about it before and just changed them regularly?

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I was thinking about T'ing off before the resin and adding a valve so I could use it for clean drinking water and then closing it for when I want RODI for the tank or is that not a good idea?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little bit concerned but I assume people with like 300 TDS from the tap will notice it coming down more. before or do people just not care about it before and just changed them regularly?
RO should remove at least 90% (or greater) of the TDS when it is working properly. At initial TDS of 300 (x .9), the filter should remove 270 tds leaving 30tds or less for the DI resin to deal with. If the RO isn't removing at least 90% then something is wrong with that stage, ime.

I have 300+, sometimes up to 600 here in southern CA so a good membrane is important to remove at least 95%, even up to 98% if you get a good working membrane and then the resin doesn't get ruined after making 30 gallons.

Your speed. 150 gallons/day/ 24 is like ~6 gallons/hour which is nice when you need to make up a bucket of salt water of top off water. :cool:

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I timed it last night on my first 5 gallons it actually took me about 2 hours but that might be to do with my water pressure.

Either way I'm happy with it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back