Nothings happy in my tank! Pic heavy

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you live, tap water can be clean compared to other places, but it still has things that can't be tested for and changes throughout the year. They add a lot of things to purify the water for us that isn't good for fish/corals. I tried the tap water from my fridge dispenser for a while and it came back to bite me in the rear. My phosphate level was out of control due to it, but like I said, my tap water isn't the same as yours. Many reefers have had successful tanks using tap water, some people don't even do water changes. The main thing I'd worry about first is your salinity and lighting, try going back to the leds and hang them high above the tank and slowly work them down to accumulate the corals to it. You know your tank better than us, all we're trying to do is help ( some people are more pushy than others but I think they mean well)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDaddyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are confusing opinions with tried and tested science. A large sample of people have agreed, based on their own success and failures that tap water is detrimental to the reef aquarium. Also, I don't believe you ever told us what livestock you keep in your established tank. If you believe it is something in your new tank, I would recommend the following experiments to determine the problem. 1) try a different light. 2) take a coral out of your bad tank and see how it does in your established tank. 3) go buy ten gallons of water from the lfs. Replace your current water with it.

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salttanklife, you said it very well. I seen many many/some of the nicest tanks i seen with tap water. this tanks a example, crappy vid qaulity but you can still see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooBpxl9viCU . And thats exactly what im doing, dif light and salinity level. also moving corals too 39 gal. its a reef with zoas,lps and softies.

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the biggest issue.
You only want to follow advice if it is convenient or it's something you can add to the water like a magic dust to make it all better.

Right on point! If anything the quality of the water is paramount! Before anything else.
Your livestock are in a polluted tank, much like people in Mexico City or LA where the smog is ridiculous, people have respiratory diseases there. So I would definitely go with other than tap. Distilled or RODI. Period!
That is just what you will HAVE to do (like EVERYONE else in this hobby) unless you want to keep unhealthy livestock. Up to you bro!

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why ask for advice if you don't want to listen to what people are offering? Low salinity, bad lighting, and tap water are likely the 3 big causes of your problems, yet you don't seem to be willing to change it if it means better health for the livestock in your system

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with the above suggestions. Lighting, RO water, and raise your salinity. Hopefully this will be the key. Some of us have been where you are. Try it. You have more to loose if you don't. Good luck!

NOLA Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i buy LED lights and there to bright so i try low lights and there not bright enough, i cant win lol How should i raise salt level without disrupting good paremeters?

Your salinity is the immediate problem. Mix up a gallon of double strength salt water (1 cup mix per gallon, don't worry if it doesn't all dissolve) and use this water to top off your tank from evaporation loss until your SG is 1.025 or so. If you are not losing a couple of cups a day to evaporation then scoop some tank water out and replace with the 2x salt solution. This will get you out of the woods and then you can figure out your lighting.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him time to weigh his options and make the changes he wants to.
It's just as bad to change 4 things all at once as it is to have some of these issues.
Everyone has to learn, and maybe his tank hasn't had issues due to the tap water, until now, it's possible something has changed at his water treatment plant...
Same with the lighting...was okay when the bulbs were new, but a few months of use and their not at 100% efficiency and that's the issue...
These things also take more money...and not everyone is independently wealthy....

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him time to weigh his options and make the changes he wants to.
It's just as bad to change 4 things all at once as it is to have some of these issues.
Everyone has to learn, and maybe his tank hasn't had issues due to the tap water, until now, it's possible something has changed at his water treatment plant...
Same with the lighting...was okay when the bulbs were new, but a few months of use and their not at 100% efficiency and that's the issue...
These things also take more money...and not everyone is independently wealthy....
Very well said trigger!! They put more pressure on me then a car salesman. lol, go buy this, go buy that. Me:eek:k let me think about it. Others: dont wanna listen to us then why ask for advice? :roll:But seriously trig your 100 percent right, maybe im the only one but i like to keep this as a hobby not something that's gonna be more stress and money then i get out of it. No matter what theirs always something you can buy, ATO, RODI unit,sump,skimmer, uv sterilizer and the list goes on. And i garauntee if i messaged one of the people saying that im not taking advice and said buy a GFO reactor. Guaranteed they wouldn't buy it, why? Because the stuff cost money as well as they wanna research what it does and how it works. Hope that makes sense. And Carter lierally prob 20 people said im not taking advice, dont need another lol
[h=1][/h]

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and alama i cant find phosphate. CAn you tell me where its at? Also i see it says my waters has 3.7 as nitrates, which is not bad at all right?

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said trigger!! They put more pressure on me then a car salesman. lol, go buy this, go buy that.
Me:eek:k let me think about it. Others: dont wanna listen to us then why ask for advice? :roll:But seriously trig your 100 percent right, maybe im the only one but i like to keep this as a hobby not something that's gonna be more stress and money then i get out of it. No matter what theirs always something you can buy, ATO, RODI unit,sump,skimmer, uv sterilizer and the list goes on. And i garauntee if i messaged one of the people saying that im not taking advice and said buy a GFO reactor. Guaranteed they wouldn't buy it, why? Because the stuff cost money as well as they wanna research what it does and how it works. Hope that makes sense. And Carter lierally prob 20 people said im not taking advice, dont need another lol

There were only 2 suggestions on buying something. That was water from the LFS which isn't expensive. The other was a lighting related. Could be potential issue. It's called a budget for a reason. I suggest you learn to how to use it.
If you can't afford to fix things that go wrong in this hobby then perhaps this isn't the hobby for you. Some things can be done on the cheap, others cannot.
The advice given IS tried and true methods. For example the tap water. You REFUSE to budge on the issue. Instead you link to a guy that uses chemicals to remove chemicals from his tap water. That costs money, did you know that? Do you use chlorine and metals remover or do you use straight up tap? Issues don't occur over night and can manifest itself, as is this case.
Instead of complaining about the advice given because you don't like it, either A) suck it up and do what someone wiser than you suggests and you get to solve your problem, or B) Continue doing what you are doing and sink money into it that you say you don't have and continue to complain because you can't fix the problem.
I've noticed that many of your posts are about issues with your tank. It definitely appears that you are newish to the hobby. I've also noticed that you don't like to take advice from the majority of people.
I'm not being rude, I'm just being matter of fact.

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue what you mean here "Instead you link to a guy that uses chemicals to remove chemicals from his tap water. That costs money, did you know that?" Theres not always prob with my tank.. And i ask qustions about problems with my tank. What else do you post on here. Im gonna randomly post, my tanks doing good? Buying water from fish store isnt exspensive until you do it once a week for a year..

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue what you mean here "Instead you link to a guy that uses chemicals to remove chemicals from his tap water. That costs money, did you know that?" Theres not always prob with my tank.. And i ask qustions about problems with my tank. What else do you post on here. Im gonna randomly post, my tanks doing good? Buying water from fish store isnt exspensive until you do it once a week for a year..
The money you spent on water as much as that could've went to an RO unit. Again...B U D G E T.

The link you posted to the guy that has no problem with tap water. He uses metal and chemical removers that he puts in the tank or did you not read that part and assumed he only used tap water?

What do I post? I post advice to people who ask it and gladly accept it. Not pick and choose what they want. I post about my tank, which is extremely healthy. That's what I post. You want to know why? Because I invested years of research into what I know. I have taken the time in the past to listen to people who were far more knowledgeable than I on issues with tanks when I first started. I have created a budget for my needs and I stick to the budget. If I don't have it, I don't spend it. Pretty simple concept.

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I have created a budget for my needs and I stick to the budget. If I don't have it, I don't spend it. Pretty simple concept" well that the thing i dont have the money right now. And salt, im fine with everyone.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back