Official Acanthophyllia, Cynarina, and Indophyllia show off (and appreciation) thread!

Which is best?

• Total voters

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use All For Reef approx 2x a week. No issues with any other corals, everything has remained vibrant and is growing

I broadcast feed 3-4x a week a mix of amino acids, mysis, and some powdered foods (benereef, goniopower, and something else I forget)

If anyones mouth is open they get target fed with a baster. The rest of the mix gets dumped in front of a mp40 and then feed mode on the return for 10-15 min
EDC4972C-31B3-4129-8662-7CDBCA229721.jpeg E5409C98-9E0D-4E09-B275-1093088550A1.jpeg

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all have reminded me, I'm currently negotiating for a large batch of broodstock Cynarina to restart the spawning project! The batch should arrive in the spring, but I will keep everyone posted both here and in the project thread :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really thinking of changing the direction one of my tanks in to an meat coral tank.
was gonna do seahorse witch I have wanted to do for years but if I am honest this sounds better. differently more colorful!

where is the place to get your meats these days?

Mr. Acantho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really thinking of changing the direction one of my tanks in to an meat coral tank.
was gonna do seahorse witch I have wanted to do for years but if I am honest this sounds better. differently more colorful!

World Wide Coral, Top Shelf Aquatics

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For color, BSA. for affordability, Corals.com or AquaSD. They are going to be expensive no matter where you shop, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For color, BSA. for affordability, Corals.com or AquaSD. They are going to be expensive no matter where you shop, unfortunately.
Adding to this, both the best and worst prices I have seen for meat corals have been in my LFSs, so never forget to shop around locally. Sometimes more stick oriented shops will get them in and sell them cheap.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any fish to stay away from with meats? I mean reef safe fish. are there some prone to nip.

I am a big fan of wrasses so there will be a few of those for sure. bit wonder about the sand sleeping wrasses, guessing they will get sand all over the meats?

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any fish to stay away from with meats? I mean reef safe fish. are there some prone to nip.

I am a big fan of wrasses so there will be a few of those for sure. bit wonder about the sand sleeping wrasses, guessing they will get sand all over the meats?
The biggest consideration is that meats are slow eaters, so any hungry fish (tangs, wrasses, damsels, gobies) will investigate and likely try to steal food from their mouths. Powder foods help with this, but they'll still be at risk of being robbed. It's best to feed them at lights out or during a large fish feeding.
For acanthos and indos, a little sand isn't a huge problem. Both are sand dwelling in situ. Cynarina are rock/cave dwellers and may have some trouble with sand IME. They tend to wither long-term on the sandbed too.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest consideration is that meats are slow eaters, so any hungry fish (tangs, wrasses, damsels, gobies) will investigate and likely try to steal food from their mouths. Powder foods help with this, but they'll still be at risk of being robbed. It's best to feed them at lights out or during a large fish feeding.
For acanthos and indos, a little sand isn't a huge problem. Both are sand dwelling in situ. Cynarina are rock/cave dwellers and may have some trouble with sand IME. They tend to wither long-term on the sandbed too.
perfect thanks for the info!
so if I am understanding this correct and sorry if this has been answered before but cynarina can only ( or best) be kept on the rocks, while acanthos are best on the sand bed but can be on rocks too?

yes that is how I feed my trackys ans wellso when I had them seems to work out great.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect thanks for the info!
so if I am understanding this correct and sorry if this has been answered before but cynarina can only ( or best) be kept on the rocks, while acanthos are best on the sand bed but can be on rocks too?

yes that is how I feed my trackys ans wellso when I had them seems to work out great.
Pretty much. In my experience, Acanthos don't like being on the rocks or having their mantles unsupported. Same deal with indos. Cynarina will spread like Indos on the sand, but long term they tend to wither when not in the open or supported by rocks.

Mr. Acantho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much. In my experience, Acanthos don't like being on the rocks or having their mantles unsupported. Same deal with indos. Cynarina will spread like Indos on the sand, but long term they tend to wither when not in the open or supported by rocks.

I've never heard of this for cynarinas

They're similar to acanthos & indophyllias. Every store & person in the hobby I've spoken to treat these corals all the sane: low light, low flow, in the sandbed, target feed 1x a week

Mr. Acantho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Avoid fish that are not reef safe

Avoid gobies or any fish that will gulp sand and make it rain like snow on the cirals

Avoid clownfish who may try to host the coral

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of this for cynarinas

They're similar to acanthos & indophyllias. Every store & person in the hobby I've spoken to treat these corals all the sane: low light, low flow, in the sandbed, target feed 1x a week
I'm sure many have had success, it's just been my experience that Cynarina withered on the sand after a few months. The data backs it up since Cynarina are usually collected out of rock crevices in the wild. I'm sure there are some that have done well on the sand though.
EDIT:
It's also important to remember there are many cryptic species within the genus Cynarina, some of which are sand dwelling (Indophyllia is one of these) while others are rock dwellers. The species I'm referencing here is the common 'bubblegum' Cynarina with few, larger vesicles that are predominantly round in shape.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Acanthophyllia and cyanarina is nice too

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2357.jpeg
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 28

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back