Official Acanthophyllia, Cynarina, and Indophyllia show off (and appreciation) thread!

Which is best?

• Total voters

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah right it's perfect for us reefers!!

what's your favorite acantho and why?
To be honest, my favourite are the orange gold and red one. Also the rainbow is growing on me.

The reason I really love acantho is because they are a very easy coral, provide anmazing colour annd contrast and not aggressive. They take up some nice area on the sandbed as well. If I were to ever start a new system, I would go bare bottom and the entire ground area of tank would be filled with acantho/cynarina/indo and trachphyllia, as all these corals are safe with each other in my experience with them and they seem to like being in close proximity for whatever reason whether it’s more shelter or whatever.
Basically u “set em and forget em” , I might target feed at night once a week, and do a broadcast feeding once or twice during the week.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump! I'm starting to collect broodstock for my breeding project, inspire me!
(Here's the project link: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cynarina-lacrymalis-spawning-project-setup.899403/)
How's the breeding project going?

In my experience, they don't seem to mind some nutrients in the water as long as it's somewhat stable. I think you could keep a Cynarina in a jar if you kept it fed, they aren't picky.

EDIT:
I have also heard the opposite from some other people, saying that they can't handle any phosphates, so take everything with a grain of salt. I'm by no means an expert, I just love these corals and like to keep them.
what numbers are you keeping your at?

someone said they lost an acantho to BJD?? is that a thing are they as bad as torches,hammers etc.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the breeding project going?

what numbers are you keeping your at?

someone said they lost an acantho to BJD?? is that a thing are they as bad as torches,hammers etc.
Crazy. Never seen an acantho get BJD. These seem to be one of the hardiest corals out there if their needs are met.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is very rare with these corals, I just got incredibly unlucky. I don't think it was normal BJD, seems like something new. The same pathogen that wiped out my Cynarina has been really messing up my Acros.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is very rare with these corals, I just got incredibly unlucky. I don't think it was normal BJD, seems like something new. The same pathogen that wiped out my Cynarina has been really messing up my Acros.
Hmmm interesting. Do you run UV on your system with all the deaths?

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my understand too.
dont want to drop that $$ for a few just to see them melt away from BJD
Yeah it’s a tough call with how much these donuts cost. Maybe just try a few “less brilliant and more less-costly” specimens first. That how I started out and then graduated to higher end ones.
My system is a loaded mixed reef and knock on wood, have never seen any issues with these corals—-tough as nails.

But like anything, sometime u can win the “crappy lottery” and get that one coral that has an illness…its sucks, always a risk in life.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I'm not convinced of the efficacy of UV against coral pathogens.
Yeah , not much proof I guess. I run UV religiously on my systems in the hopes it limits the bad stuff and unfortunately a little of the good stuff too. But still worth it in my books. To each their own I guess.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 new acanthophyllia
1 new cynarina
Just settling in after drip acclimation

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 new acanthophyllia
1 new cynarina
Just settling in after drip acclimation
Definitely an Indophyllia; can't wait to see it opened up!!
Edit: they're technically called Cynarina maccassariensis now, but the old name is Indophyllia maccassariensis

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: they're technically called Cynarina maccassariensis now, but the old name is Indophyllia maccassariensis
I love meat and donut corals! Truly my fav for sure. But I will say this….no “luxurious” vacation this year after recent acanthophyllia purchases haha

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be a lot more Indophyllia showing up in shops near me as of recent as well, more and more.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a shop an hour away texting new arrivals as of yesterday to his shop
IMG_2431.jpeg
Totally jealous. The shops near me play it very safe with their corals, and somehow always kill their meat corals. It's really sad, I don't think they feed them :crying-face:

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally jealous. The shops near me play it very safe with their corals, and somehow always kill their meat corals. It's really sad, I don't think they feed them :crying-face:
Yeah they really need feedings and important to feed them when the fish are asleep. Just some anemone pellets work wonders for these types of coral.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some incredible specimens, thanks for sharing

Darren
No prob. Such awesome corals. I really hope someone cracks the code to breeding and culturing these species as they are just amazing in colouration and the variations in colour patterns are endless.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back