OG's 120g build

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build , I am following as well . How is the quality of a Crystal Dynamic Aquarium , I have received a couple of quotes for them on a custom tank as well a 29x24x24in about 73g and I was wondering about the quality of them? But I was also thinking of sending them a quote for a 120g as well... can't decide on my next up grade going in between a couple of tanks ... and recommendations? Either a 60g cube , customs 73g by CDA , or a 120g ? Possibly custom as well ...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the weight of the plumbing+water is independently supported – not hanging off the bulkheads or putting pressure on the pump body – then there shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build , I am following as well . How is the quality of a Crystal Dynamic Aquarium , I have received a couple of quotes for them on a custom tank as well a 29x24x24in about 73g and I was wondering about the quality of them? But I was also thinking of sending them a quote for a 120g as well... can't decide on my next up grade going in between a couple of tanks ... and recommendations? Either a 60g cube , customs 73g by CDA , or a 120g ? Possibly custom as well ...

Thanks! I bought a Lee-Mar tank the year before they stopped making tanks. It's been said that Crystal Dynamics is the same company that used to make the Lee-Mar tanks. From what I see I think that this Crystal Dynamics tank is built better than the Lee-mar I bought a few years ago. I got several quotes and Crystal Dynamic was really close to other manufacturers... I guess I'm trying to say that CD tanks are better quality than the other manufacturers.

I would go with the biggest tank you can get for the space you have.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you very much OGFrenchHorn , that is very good to know and I honestly respect your opinion on the quality of tank , that you say CD produces .I am going to take your considerations on what size to do when I am ready for it. My current tank is a ADA 75p just at about 40g. So I am going to get that up and going as a reef tank first then upgrade to the larger tank from there. I got a custom stand build for it as well , might as well use it lol, to get my money out of it lol . But still am considering just buying a bigger one when I go reef . Lot a choices to make lol on my up coming build .. still trying to piece all the little things together , very very slow build process .

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you very much OGFrenchHorn , that is very good to know and I honestly respect your opinion on the quality of tank , that you say CD produces .I am going to take your considerations on what size to do when I am ready for it. My current tank is a ADA 75p just at about 40g. So I am going to get that up and going as a reef tank first then upgrade to the larger tank from there. I got a custom stand build for it as well , might as well use it lol, to get my money out of it lol . But still am considering just buying a bigger one when I go reef . Lot a choices to make lol on my up coming build .. still trying to piece all the little things together , very very slow build process .

Yeah man. I mean this is the longest I've taken setting up a tank. I just have a lot going on right now and can't spend a lot of time on it. Check out AGE they have really good quality tanks but they are pricey. Take your time and do a lot of research that way you get what you want on the first try.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you so much I will take my time , even though it feels like my patience runs thin at times I think it will be worth all the waiting in the end and in the long run.. I'll check them out . Thank u

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the basic plumbing done. Just gotta build a manifold and plumb the return for it and I'll be good to go.

439964234035d707f3c80b09cbc5303b.jpg

9d0925d9d580e95de204031d8db4cb2b.jpg

I also picked up 60 lbs of crushed coral. I'll have to get 20 or 40 more pounds

b55c42d1c2c981cd2739f0b606bc8cb2.jpg

I'm hopping to start getting this wet sometime this week.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is coming along great!

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to run 2 Hydra 52's, 3 Kessil 360WE, and 4 T5 bulbs on this tank for the time being. I might go with G4 Radions in a year or 2.

As for the T5's Im thinking 2 ATI Coral Plus and 2 KZ Fiji Purple. What do you guy's/ gals think?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks fantastic!

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.

Where did you get the colored tubing and those cool hose clamps?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back