OG's 120g build

Lukelebeau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! I just started a build we have the same dimensions almost! Can't wait to see some progress. Wish I knew more about metal working so I could have made my stand from steel.

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a text from CD saying that my tank will be ready on wednesday! Hopefully AA will be done with my sump soon as well. So lets talk equipment. I ordered a Vectra M1 for my return pump so that's taken care of. My question is what I should do for flow. Would it be better to go with 4 MP 40's or 2 MP 60's?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 MP40QDs on my standard 120 and it seems OK so far. But when I had my standard 180 I had the older MPs and thought that there wasn't enough flow in the center of the tank.

It is also dependant on rock work and pump placement. If you had the four along the back of the tank I think the flow would be better than the two MP60.

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a peninsula tank so I'm going to put them on the overflow side and on the opposite side. I had 2 MP40's on a 6 foot tank before and yes, there wasn't enough flow in the middle. If I get 2 MP60's they will not run at full power but if I run the 4 MP40's i would probably run them at full power... thinking wear and tear and replacing wet sides in the future

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, got the tank back today! Also picked up a M1 Vectra for the return. I'm hoping to get the tank up on the stand this weekend.

e20a270f5c6405d447c9eab98ca17eca.jpg

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank. One big step closer. Does the tank have an overflow? Plan on painting the back?

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank. One big step closer. Does the tank have an overflow? Plan on painting the back?

Thanks! Yes, the tank has an overflow. It's all the way to the right. It's a peninsula. The overflow side is blacked out. For now I'm not planing on blacking out the rear panel.

OP
OP
OGFrenchHorn

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine at 9 inches and the riser tube is open all the way and it's skimming perfect but I think I need to lower the water level a bit
You are absolutely right. Now that I think about it my baffle kept the water level at 10 inches and I had to raise the Alpha 200 an inch or so.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back