One aiptasia- what to do?

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
I’ve spotted 1 aiptasia after putting my binoculars on to inspect a coral and saw the little bugger, it’s on a rock at the bottom of a structure which would mean a big job to get the rock out
What would you do?
Peppermint shrimp?
Bergia?

Leave it be?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are literally at step one choice of millions of aiptasia-lost tanks

your decision is where all of them wish they could rewind to

hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions collectively, lost due to following what the masses always do when they see the very

first

aiptasia

hint: in your opening descrip, you entertained the idea of leaving it in then doing X in hopes it might work

that's what they all did

they all did not do the one single hard thing in the description.

curious: let's say you had that rock out and right in front of you, what then? how thorough can you remove it among 30 ways I can think of (hate to see you do all that effort then select: squirt it with joe's juice!!)

remember: if you do what the masses do in any way, you get their results. from the recommends you see here, ask yourself if the action has been recommended before in aiptasia threads. if so, don't use those options, or you'll get those results.

Last edited:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? The answer to that will determine what your action should be.

If your tank is large enough to accommodate either a Copperband, Pyramid or Kleini (blue-headed, per @vetteguy53081) butterflyfish, then my recommendation would be to include one of them in your stocking list. A single aiptasia is not a threat; it's a plague of aiptasia that's a problem. Those butterflies will likely not eliminate all of your aiptasia, but they will keep it in check so that it never develops to a plague.

Peppermint shrimp are problematic; while there are documented examples of them eating aiptasia, not all peppermints will eat aiptasia, and they will also prey on other fleshy corals (or damage corals to steal food from tehm). If you decide to get a peppermint, you should do so because you like them and want them in your tank, not because you expect them to deal with aiptasia.

Berghia are one of the only things guaranteed to eat aiptasia, but they're small, expensive, vulnerable and slow. Given time and the opportunity to breed they will knock down an aiptasia plague, but until you have a plague of aiptasia they're really not the right choice.

Chemical and mechanical solutions are risky when dealing with single aiptasia. Aiptasia are quick to release planula larva when they detect a threat, and all it takes is for one or two of those larva to make it free and grow into new aiptasia. Still, if your tank is too small for the piscine solutions and the invertebrate solutions aren't working for you, this might be your only choice.

If you're going to use a chemical or mechanical solution, best thing to do is to remove the rock that the aiptasia is on and apply the treatment outside of the water. In air, planula larvae can't escape from the parent anemone, and you can more perfectly seal it/scrape it off.

Trying to directly attack aiptasia leads to temporary relief until the new anemones begin to grow. So in short:

Fish-based solutions are best, but you need to carefully select the fish that has the least chance to attack corals. Most fish that will eat aiptasia will also eat corals. Invertebrate solutions are acceptable but hit-and-miss, and you may need to try multiple times to get them to work. Human-based solutions rarely succeed and should really only be attempted outside of the tank.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a modifier to the previous excellent post
Peppermint shrimp are problematic; while there are documented examples of them eating aiptasia, not all peppermints will eat aiptasia, and they will also prey on other fleshy corals (or damage corals to steal food from tehm). If you decide to get a peppermint, you should do so because you like them and want them in your tank, not because you expect them to deal with aiptasia.
This statement is why I do add them to my sump…for whatever reason Aptasia show up here ….Id would at least add a couple here….cant do much harm

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a modifier to the previous excellent post

This statement is why I do add them to my sump…for whatever reason Aptasia show up here ….Id would at least add a couple here….cant do much harm

True, in-sump peppermints have no issues. They won't help with display aiptasia, but if they eat the in-sump anemones they can reduce re-colonization.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back