Orange torch - what do you think?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange is just yellow under extreme blues.

Just look what the vendor had to say about how it was shot "100% blues". Should tell you right away that you'll only see that color under a windex tank.

I've been in this hobby for close to 30 years now, I have never seen a truly orange torch. I have seen many that are close, but never to the degree of orange you see in manipulated pictures.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus if you want to see it this orange you also need to wear orange glasses...
Almost impossible to look like this in person without any orange glasses imo.

I specifically asked about glasses and was told in person the coral is this color to the naked eye, without glasses

And

I have both yellow and orange coral, and they are those colors under blue light, day spectrum, with glasses, and without glasses

Last edited:
OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange is just yellow under extreme blues.

Just look what the vendor had to say about how it was shot "100% blues". Should tell you right away that you'll only see that color under a windex tank.

I've been in this hobby for close to 30 years now, I have never seen a truly orange torch. I have seen many that are close, but never to the degree of orange you see in manipulated pictures.

I’m a windex tank keeper, and I have yellow shot under 100% blue, and it is still yellow

Attachments

• B141A988-5BC7-4AF3-83AF-2F17911C24B5.jpeg
    B141A988-5BC7-4AF3-83AF-2F17911C24B5.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 30
  • F1F11CBE-ADA2-4EED-B79C-21913DCDDE5B.jpeg
    F1F11CBE-ADA2-4EED-B79C-21913DCDDE5B.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 81B9178F-DD0B-406F-8C6B-6870FA2761DA.jpeg
    81B9178F-DD0B-406F-8C6B-6870FA2761DA.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 5511F699-91D5-4F53-9508-5EE5EE4FF888.jpeg
    5511F699-91D5-4F53-9508-5EE5EE4FF888.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 40C8B460-D70F-4EF8-8828-D47BEBC3F83D.jpeg
    40C8B460-D70F-4EF8-8828-D47BEBC3F83D.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 31

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following. Never seen an orange one in person since I’ve been in the hobby

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping reefs 23 years and remember long time ago people on RC talking about owning orange torch, and even posting pictures. Granted the cameras and lighting then aren’t what they are now, people swore they had orange torch.

And I occasionally see orange torch for sale now, and thought the same as the skeptics, and it’s edited, and I’m a non believer also…but you have to wonder how these reputable vendors and sellers are not getting called out for fake orange torches. My seller has excellent feedback on this forum and talked to me, answered all my questions, shot a video, and tells me in person the torch is orange with no need to wear glasses

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically asked about glasses and was told in person the coral is this color to the naked eye, without glasses

And

I have both yellow and orange coral, and they are those colors under blue light, day spectrum, with glasses, and without glasses
Yes I see..
but its not the naked eye.. your white and blue pisctures are still shot with an orange filter, right?

I am sceptic is theres really a true orange torch which looks orange in daylight without any orange filters.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I see..
but its not the naked eye.. your white and blue pisctures are still shot with an orange filter, right?

I am sceptic is theres really a true orange torch which looks orange in daylight without any orange filters.

Yes I am shooting with a physical filter to offset leds as my camera can’t capture real life naked eye appearance naturally without it

In person the corals appear same as my picture without my needing coral viewing glasses. I don’t need glasses for my grail to look yellow in day spectrum or under blue only

Also, I’m not saying the coral is orange in pure white light. That doesn’t matter to me I never view the tank in full white only

What I want is a true orange torch when I turn on my blue and uv lights. My grails look yellow like this, and a “orange” torch if true, should be orange. This is what the vendor is claiming.

Here is another vendor, they have unsaturated photos of corals for sale the the grail is clearly a yellow and green grail, and the orange torch in the same conditions is orange. Look at the white egg crate in both photos…it’s the same editing/filtering/whatever yet the two corals are completely different

And this particular vendor, from these photos in this post we have a forum member on page 1 that bought one of these orange torches and she came forward and vouched for the vendor and the orange torch saying she owned one and it is actually orange, but it died and she doesn’t have it anymore

67D87C44-08E1-489A-845A-7B717C922192.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting few people seem to have one. I would think if they were that rare, the price would reflect that. At $250/head roughly, it’s not that pricey compared to other high end torches.

I’m wondering if the flouresence is lacking so they don’t collect them that often. But then the video is said to be shot in 100% blues soo I don’t know

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Short answer...the original pictures in question are all heavily influenced with light to achieve the colors.

HOWEVER I have seen torches of all colors.

I've purchased from them all and they all do the same thing to a certain extent.

In my experience oranges really seem to come from indo gold variations and the levels of gold color vary in the tenticles to catch the blue uv and turn them orange.

There have also been RED torches but again just a variant of a knicks with more purple on tenticles to go red when blue uv hits them.

I love all the colors ;)

Screenshot_20210909-182033_Gallery.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Malaysian torches have been coming in with some crazy solid colors.

All colors exist, just don't expect them to be as vibrant in person.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another torch to add to the I need to get list in order to collect em all.
Ya .. but even top shelf refunded me my money back after a false listing… I fought. I bought an ultra flame red monti cap… they sent me a plain orange one??? I fought and they knew they were wrong… the picture doesn’t look anything nearly as close as the coral.

it all depends but even TopShelf Aquatics!?? Can’t even trust a big vendor… you do you… but even with experience of vendors doing this is untrustworthy unless you haven’t experienced it for yourself.

Paid like $380 and imagine if they never gave me back my money???!!!

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya .. but even top shelf refunded me my money back after a false listing… I fought. I bought an ultra flame red monti cap… they sent me a plain orange one??? I fought and they knew they were wrong… the picture doesn’t look anything nearly as close as the coral.

it all depends but even TopShelf Aquatics!?? Can’t even trust a big vendor… you do you… but even with experience of vendors doing this is untrustworthy unless you haven’t experienced it for yourself.

Paid like $380 and imagine if they never gave me back my money???!!!

That’s crazy, I’m glad you got your money back. I haven’t posted my seller/vendors name and it hasn’t been mentioned once in the thread.

My threads purpose is to find out if anyone has actually owned a torch that is orange to the naked eye, under blue lighting is acceptable, and it seems like there are people out there that say they have seen it or owned it

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s crazy, I’m glad you got your money back. I haven’t posted my seller/vendors name and it hasn’t been mentioned once in the thread.

My threads purpose is to find out if anyone has actually owned a torch that is orange to the naked eye, under blue lighting is acceptable, and it seems like there are people out there that say they have seen it or owned it
It’s tough. I would go with the statement from one guy on this forum would be that buying online on such a rare coral like that and vendors trying to sell corals for a ridiculous price with no photo editing but catching the perfect lighting to falsely make yellow look like orange in terms of the picture… be careful out there buying online is all I’m saying… either find one with your own eyes or find one at auction event… doubt it would even sell cheap either if they do exist

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it but they claim the photo and video are unedited and under kessil fixture set to 100% blue and no supplemental lighting. Are they completely lying ? Who knows. They tell me the torch in person looks exactly like the video. They tell me they sell 300 torches a month and don’t mess around. I searched for negative feedback and only found one, and they did step up and offered to make the situation right

Sooo I figure let’s roll the dice and see what shows up at my door, and if it’s right, I’ll be very happy. If it’s not, I’ll take it up with the vendor on the side

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back