Paul's 38 Gallon Reef Tank

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow looks like its coming along nicely. Where did you get your rocks from the picture they look pretty purple:angel:

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! They used to be purple until asterinas ate all my coralline algae! So they aren't really purple at the moment, but I have a Harlequin taking care of them. Its mostly just basic lace rock that I got at the LFS for real cheap. Some of it I actually gave an acid bath in muriatic acid to really clean up and make a lot more porous.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha those dang starfish!! With your lace rock how long did it take for everything to cycle and mature or did you already buy it live? i was originally going to go with bars dry rock but I'm a little impatient so went to the lfs when they were having a 25% live rock sale.

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to remember. I started off with live sand and a few pieces of live rock and the rest (80-90%) dry lace rock. I did have a long cycle about a month I believe.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bet you couldn't wait to finally put something in there. have you noticed any growth on your frogspawn?

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, definitely. Already moved the rock away from it twice. Its running out of room! Need that tank upgrade.

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Red Dragonets!

Man oh man I got an update today that I am actually giddy about! Found out a buddy of mine got in an order of these Ruby Red Dragonets (Synchiropus sp.). I've always wanted one but could never get my hands on them, and the price was usually ridiculous. Well I didn't want to keep my red scooter blenny with a change of aggression to the Ruby Red in such a small tank so I brought him in to trade for one. Well when I got there I seen all he had was a pair left. He said he would give me a special price of $45 for the pair, plus the trade in of the Red Scooter. Well now I am the proud owner of pair of Ruby Red Dragonets! I really hope these guys take to prepared foods and do well in my tank. The guy fed the tank they were in and seen some of them eating Reef Chilli (which I use anyways) and SA Hatchery, That is a really good sign, but whether or not I got the ones that where eating it or not I don't know. With them being so small (even at a max size) I should be able to sustain a decent pod population in my system. The red scooter is in a good home in a frag tank literally FULL of pods so much that its a problem when feeding corals. Here are some photos of these tiny beauties acclimating.

Male(left) Female(right)
p2qNRHv.jpg

Female
ZmI2huC.jpg

NuqWyqN.jpg

WCxHGT2.jpg

Male
7baZ46I.jpg

OYAbMz1.jpg

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally released these awesome little guys into the DT after a LONG acclimation. Wanted to wait until it was lights off to introduce them to the tank. I hope they do well. I'll post some pics up tomorrow if I'm able to get them.

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good news on the Ruby Red Dragonets! Witnessed them eating frozen prawn roe (nutramar ova) and Reed Chili today. Very happy with this. So happy in fact, I made up a little video of these guys when I was feeding. Here's the YouTube link.

http://youtu.be/Zm-DyNXjyNY

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet video, they look even better on video. I like the hollowed rock loOKs like a cool cave

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want one so bad,how do you like it
I love it of course! Need to have a well established tank before even considering getting one. I had a GBTA die in my tank a long time ago when I wasn't no where as established or experienced and it nuked my tank pretty good. Lost a bunch of coral and had some pretty nasty blooms. This little guy has been doing great for me.

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef looks great, what are the dimensions on the display?

Thanks. It is roughly 36Wx20Tx12D. When I originally bought the tank used I used the volume calculator and came up with 39 gallons on the exact measurements. Turns out I believe it to actually be a 38 gallon made by aqueon. Just stuck with the 39 because that's what I labeled it as in other forums and this one. I have a ~20+ sump so I don't think its a big deal on the extra gallon I somehow calculated. LOL

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Back