Ph dump Bacto balance

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Ben running Bacto balance since a week. My phosphate went down from 0.1 to 0.02 fast, nitrate is coming down slower from 50.

My PH is really taking a hit. Went from 8.1 tot 7.7 average. Is this normal, will this stay like this? Thanks

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Ben running Bacto balance since a week. My phosphate went down from 0.1 to 0.02 fast, nitrate is coming down slower from 50.

My PH is really taking a hit. Went from 8.1 tot 7.7 average. Is this normal, will this stay like this? Thanks
PH probe or liquid test kit?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both seneye and Hannah test
No idea about the Hanna but I've heard something about bacterial films interfering with Seneye slides, i think you can clean them, cant you?. Do you find Seneye OK normally with pH? What are your free ammonia levels when carbon dosing?, if you don't mind, thanks

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both seneye and Hannah test
Seneye pH measurements might not be accurate and should be calibrated. My Seneye never agrees with my lab grade pH meter.

OP
OP
B

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But odds are that if 2 ph measurements are the same and super low, ph is super low.

OP
OP
B

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They measure 7.4 and 7.6 now. Pretty sick.

Alk is 9.5
Calcium 480
Mag around 1250
Fosfate 0.02
Nitrate 30

I’ve been leaving my windows open all night but no effect. Now tried cranking up the skimmer to max without skimmer cup to see what effect that has .

OP
OP
B

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced my return pump flow with about 50% to accommodate for some other hardware. Turn over would still be 6 or 7 times the tank volume per hour. Maybe that has something to do with the ph?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it likely the phosphate change was a real change due to the bactobalance. It's more likely either a test error, or a real change for other reasons.

All organic carbon dosing tends to lower pH as the endproduct of metabolism of the organics is CO2.

More flow and aeration in a display tank can either raise or lower pH, depending on the current tank pH and the CO2 level in the air above the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose all for reef. Should dosing kalkwasser improve ph ?

It will, but the extent of the rise depends on how much alk you need each day. At low doses, the pH effect is minimal. At high doses it is significant. :)

OP
OP
B

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Reason I ask is because my alk is fine. I never tried kalkwasser but I’ve read a few comments of people stating kalkwasser will raise your ph, more than all for reef. I don’t understand the logic behind that, because in my understanding ph is more is les the results of the balance alk and calcium.
Since they both are fine in my tank, I cannot imagine that kalkwasser would improve my ph. But maybe worth a try.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Reason I ask is because my alk is fine. I never tried kalkwasser but I’ve read a few comments of people stating kalkwasser will raise your ph, more than all for reef. I don’t understand the logic behind that, because in my understanding ph is more is les the results of the balance alk and calcium.
Since they both are fine in my tank, I cannot imagine that kalkwasser would improve my ph. But maybe worth a try.

pH is a balance between CO2 and alkalinity. Calcium plays no direct role.

if you know any two of alk, pH or CO2 in the water, you can calculate the third.

AFR, like bicarbonate, gives a small tendency to add CO2, lowering pH a tiny bit.

Using carbonate as an alk source raises pH because it consumes CO2 when added.

Using hydroxide (as in kalkwasser) has an even bigger pH boost, consuming about twice as much CO2 when added.

But all of these effects are temporary until the tank pulls in or releases CO2 to the air.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this "fresh water" table can be use to estimate Co² ?
Alk/pH/Co²

1000002625.gif

OP
OP
B

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is a balance between CO2 and alkalinity. Calcium plays no direct role.

if you know any two of alk, pH or CO2 in the water, you can calculate the third.

AFR, like bicarbonate, gives a small tendency to add CO2, lowering pH a tiny bit.

Using carbonate as an alk source raises pH because it consumes CO2 when added.

Using hydroxide (as in kalkwasser) has an even bigger pH boost, consuming about twice as much CO2 when added.

But all of these effects are temporary until the tank pulls in or releases CO2 to the air.
Beautiful explanation thank you sir

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this "fresh water" table can be use to estimate Co² ?
Alk/pH/Co²

1000002625.gif

No, but a similar table for seawater at a specific salinity and temperature can.

The reasons why a freshwater table won't work are tied up in sophisticated chemical issues, but interestingly, its the same reason why adding totally pure fresh water at pH 7 to seawater at ph 8.1 will raise the pH above 8.1. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back