OP
OP
Ernie Mccracken

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someday I’ll defeat algae but not yet. I had it under control for a while but my CUC has dwindled too far, need to replenish I think.

I still have my 3 tangs to add to the tank, hoping that gives me the upper hand.

I think the inconvenient truth about algae is that it just takes a lot of elbow grease. Scraping the glass, water changes, manually clean the sand bed every week, blow out the rocks, clean the sump, grow chaeto, constant testing to make sure you aren't spiking nutrients, etc.

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love a well kept tank. Please post photos of good ones.

DVrPHah.png

fcTO3AT.jpg

U09t8lq.jpg

UuIcndQ.png

kUYWat5.png

Ec0FPSQ.png

f5ksgSs.png

21sM7us.png

Does this count?
yhiiN39.png
IMG_5840.jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5844.jpeg
IMG_5845.jpeg

This is my 150 DT. Gotta keep it spotless!!!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the inconvenient truth about algae is that it just takes a lot of elbow grease. Scraping the glass, water changes, manually clean the sand bed every week, blow out the rocks, clean the sump, grow chaeto, constant testing to make sure you aren't spiking nutrients, etc.
Exactly. It's not like it's going to be algae free with zero intervention. It takes work.

juanroseco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 months

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9034.jpeg
    IMG_9034.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 33

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do reefers clean off / remove the coraline algae growing on the silicone seams? I have a Red Sea so I don't get very close to the silicone seams.

OP
OP
Ernie Mccracken

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do reefers clean off / remove the coraline algae growing on the silicone seams? I have a Red Sea so I don't get very close to the silicone seams.

Don't let it build up and embed itself deep into the silicone. Even if you hate cleaning glass, at least get in there and swipe the algae dusting off the seams a couple times/week.

I have always used a cheap, soft sponge on a stick to clean the silicone (I know many use magic erasers, but they are mildly abrasive). I have had an ADA 120 set up like this continuously since 2010 without issue.

20AnCtq.png

OP
OP
Ernie Mccracken

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love for the some of these Instagram-level pics to also tell the age of these systems. Its hard to image these pristine "glass-box art" to be older than 3 maybe 4 years old.

98% of all reef tanks never make it to 3-4 years, period.

Most people are out of the hobby within 2 years or their tank gets nuked due to equipment/power failure, pests, disease, or other mass die off event. Only the very top tier of experienced (and well funded) hobbyists can keep a display healthy and stable for 4+ years.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm totally different then I think tanks need some algae to support its biome environment. I also like the salty weathered look and don't clean my equipment or back wall at all. Sump is a mysterious science experiment and I have no idea about some things growing in there. I rarely lose an invert. Tank seems very happy but it sure ain't no picture perfect looking aquatic paradise but I admire those with pristine set ups too.

20240119_122521.jpg

OP
OP
Ernie Mccracken

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm totally different then I think tanks need some algae to support its biome environment. I also like the salty weathered look and don't clean my equipment or back wall at all. Sump is a mysterious science experiment and I have no idea about some things growing in there. I rarely lose an invert. Tank seems very happy but it sure ain't no picture perfect looking aquatic paradise but I admire those with pristine set ups too.

Nah, that's the norm. Few people care enough about algae to scrub it all out of the tank. I'm just appreciating the unique, almost "floating in air" look.

I once saw a pond with tons of flow, no scape only black polyurea coating, and running 10x more filtration (including tons of ozone) than a normal pond. It looked like these huge prized koi were small blimps floating through the pond.

XXRCNNj.png

rMGCG1b.jpg

Dq19Cej.png

0O8svka.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back