Potters angel

Masomaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the potters angel regarded as being difficult? Would like to here experiences from people who have kept them in a reef also.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't handle being shipped as well as other Centropyge. Once past the first couple of weeks they are just as hardy as other dwarf angels. Potter's are a 'safer' species in a reef, comparable to flames and coral beauties.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that's been a cake to care for. Eats pods, pellets, brine shrimp.
IMG_3420.JPG

Current107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tried a few of these guys and agree they don't ship very well. If you can get them to swim openly, they will likely eat well. If they won't eat try putting nori on a algae clip.

OP
OP
Masomaniac

Masomaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So extended QT sounds like a good fit for one? Really love the way these guys look.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had potters in my reefs on a few occasions, and they've been generally better behaved than, for example, flames. Once you get past the initial acclimation period, I have found the key is lots of grazing space. My current potters grazes all the time when the lights are on.

OP
OP
Masomaniac

Masomaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very nice pod population, feed algae sheets every other day for my kole tang, and feed mysis everyday. Nutrition should not be a problem. I will QT for a good 3-4 months or until I'm certain it will thrive in my main display.

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a potters in a 65g reef & it is doing great. Eats everything like a pig & also grazes all day eating off the glass & rocks.

I don't know how long it had been at the store but he settled in quick. I have never seen it touch a coral in the 8 months I've had it.

IMG_0948.JPG

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a happy Potter's in a mixed reef tank with no issues. No aggression towards other fish either. Hid behind the rock work for the first week, week and a half or so, and now swims in the open all the time. I think I even saw him take out what I thought was a baby Aiptasia that came in on a frag the other day. Was looking at it, thinking about how I was going to X it during my next water change and boom, he grabbed it. Not sure if he was going after algae, or what, but whatever it was hasn't grown back.

He's a ninja fish.

IMG_2350%202.jpg

OP
OP
Masomaniac

Masomaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a happy Potter's in a mixed reef tank with no issues. No aggression towards other fish either. Hid behind the rock work for the first week, week and a half or so, and now swims in the open all the time. I think I even saw him take out what I thought was a baby Aiptasia that came in on a frag the other day. Was looking at it, thinking about how I was going to X it during my next water change and boom, he grabbed it. Not sure if he was going after algae, or what, but whatever it was hasn't grown back.

He's a ninja fish.

IMG_2350%202.jpg
What do you feed?

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had mine for little over three months no problems so far. He cruses all day picking at rocks
Screenshot_20170222-220529.png

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed?

He grazes near constantly and I feed him 6-8 NLS pellets a day. I stop when he stops. He'll also go after some of the smaller Omega pellets now that I had to start feeding those for my clowns (they couldn't fit most of the NLS in their mouth). He wasn't very interested in nori sheets when I tried them, so I've abandoned that. I think he also might have eaten his first piece of mysis tonight. I try to feed the mysis shrimp every Wednesday.

OP
OP
Masomaniac

Masomaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the info. Getting my guy tomorrow hopefully I can have success like you all.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they behave in an sps tank? For those who keep them in a sps tank, do you notice the corals with less polyp extensions? I'm up in the air about getting one. Thx

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they behave in an sps tank? For those who keep them in a sps tank, do you notice the corals with less polyp extensions? I'm up in the air about getting one. Thx
They are safe with sps. Fleshy brains are the corals most at risk with them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back