Powerheads - MP40 or MP60?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

It appears I'll be upgrading my tank very soon, most likely to a Waterbox Infinia Frag 175.6 (hooray!)
The tank dimensions are (LxWxH): 1,836 x 643 x 410mm (72.3" x 25.3" x 16.1"

Looking at flow options and I'm thinking along the lines of the Ecotech route as I have a battery backup I'd like to utilise that is currently sitting around doing nothing as I run a single Nero 3 on the existing tank.

I'm not sure whether to look at 4x mp40 pumps placed on the back wall (or possibly 2 either end), or whether I should go 2x mp60 on either end of the tank with maybe adding a 3rd or 4th mp40 down the track on the back wall. The tank will have sand and given the frag is shorter than the normal depth of tanks I'm unsure how the mp60 would go with blowing things everywhere.
Would appreciate your advice or suggestions here especially from those with experience on larger tanks.

Thanks

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral selections are important to consider when choosing which powerhead to go with. Whether you go with SPS heavy or mixed you will probably still get more out of having 4 mp40s due to the fact that you can place them in several different spots and run various programs to dial in your flow exactly how you need it.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I'd opt for the 4x MP40. As long as you don't go with oolite you won't have too many issues with sand.
Your coral selections are important to consider when choosing which powerhead to go with. Whether you go with SPS heavy or mixed you will probably still get more out of having 4 mp40s due to the fact that you can place them in several different spots and run various programs to dial in your flow exactly how you need it.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.
I was thinking more along the lines of the mp40s as I figured there is more chance of getting use out of those rather than the 2x mp60s.

Headed to the LFS tomorrow so I can check out some systems and hopefully make my final decision which way to go.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks LSU,

After going to the LFS today, I queried around the options of powerheads and they suggested sticking with the Nero's. They asked why I was looking at MP40's and I said it was because I have the battery backup etc. They suggested just selling it off and getting Nero 5's or something instead and buying a normal UPS.

My gf has always said she likes the Nero's look better than the mp40's because they're a sleeker design (Currently using a nero 3), but yeah... you get the cable in the tank as a trade off. I do like the adjustability in terms of being able to direct flow a little better compared to the ecotechs but will see..

Still not 100% sure which way to go here. People obviously use MP40's for a reason though and everyone is going to have their own preferences and so forth so it's a tricky choice.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would 100% stick with the Neros. I run both Neros and MP40s on my SPS tank and I think the Neros out perform in everyway. The flow is wider.....they can be adjusted.....they look better. In addition, I think the Neptune battery backup is pretty worthless lol. I have tried using them twice and both times, when needed, the battery was completely dead (6 months and 8 months after installation). The only benefit (to me) the MP40s have is the in-tank wireless design.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would 100% stick with the Neros. I run both Neros and MP40s on my SPS tank and I think the Neros out perform in everyway. The flow is wider.....they can be adjusted.....they look better. In addition, I think the Neptune battery backup is pretty worthless lol. I have tried using them twice and both times, when needed, the battery was completely dead (6 months and 8 months after installation). The only benefit (to me) the MP40s have is the in-tank wireless design.

I certainly don't mind the Nero's. Even during the weekend just gone I pulled out the Nero 3 and pulled it apart to clean it and it's an easy process. That being said, pulling a head off of one side and taking it out to clean without having to mess around with wiring etc would probably be great also.

I've also come to realise that I wont be able to place any of the powerheads on the back wall as the tank I'm now considering (a CADE), has an ATO built into the back of the tank so unless I move the ATO to an external source, it's a no go there as the magnet from the nero or the dry side of the mp40 would be sitting in water so will have to move water from the side of the tank only at this stage.

With the change on the type of tank (will be deeper also as not going the frag style), along with lack of being able to run anything on the back wall currently I'm kind of leaning more toward 2x mp40's on either end. Main reason being that I think it'll look cleaner with the cables on the outside of the tank.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally sway you from MP anything. I know some people love em, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I've seen first hand the decline in quality with these pumps over the years. If we were talking about the MPs earlier on, I'd say sure but the price on these is absurd for the quality. Just my opinion of course.

I'd go Tunze.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally sway you from MP anything. I know some people love em, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I've seen first hand the decline in quality with these pumps over the years. If we were talking about the MPs earlier on, I'd say sure but the price on these is absurd for the quality. Just my opinion of course.

I'd go Tunze.
Appreciate the feedback.
Hadn't even looked at Tunze to be honest, so perhaps that's another potential option/avenue

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 MP40s across 3 tanks and absolutely love them! Outside of the “hey ma, no wires!” feature, you get customizable flow patterns via Mobius. I have a DIY Lithium Phosphate battery backup for each MP40 that can run for 40+ hrs. I think the best part is — so easy to clean! I have spare wet sides so super easy to swap out.

I actually have other wavemakers, including Tunze Turbells and AI Nero (old gen), but prefer MP40s for the reasons mentioned above.

Price: yeah, it’s expensive and can’t justify paying that much for a wavemaker. All of mine have been used - the dry side is very reliable. I swap out the wet side when they degrade anyway.

Good luck with your decision — it’s actually fun!

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a little late to chime in here but I’ve run 3 Nero’s over the year and every single one of them ended up in the trash shortly after the warranty expired due to stray current. Mp40 no wires in the tank. One less possible point of failure. I have the Waterbox Infinitia 275 and I run two mp60 and two mp40s and it’s overkill.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agonised over this decision just recently also, but ended up going with the MP40's.

Was considering the Nero 7's, but taking the wire out of the tank was a big plus, also not having to re-route all the cables each time i wanted to clean was a big positive.

Havent hooked all mine up though yet...so may decide it was a bad idea yet :face-with-tears-of-joy: !

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably a little late to chime in here but I’ve run 3 Nero’s over the year and every single one of them ended up in the trash shortly after the warranty expired due to stray current. Mp40 no wires in the tank. One less possible point of failure. I have the Waterbox Infinitia 275 and I run two mp60 and two mp40s and it’s overkill.
I had a similar experience with two Nero 3s both dying after a year. I won’t consider using the brand for flow anymore.

My tank currently has two MP40s and my next tank is going to be a mix of Tunze wavebox, Tunze powerheads and MP40s.

At least that’s the tentative plan. Flow seems to always need adjusting as the tank progresses so my vote is buy whatever you like and accept the fact you’ll probably have to buy more later.

Edit to add:
Tunze also has a battery backup option similar to the MP40s. Whatever you go with id strongly recommend having a backup power plan.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x ReefWave 45 and 4 x MP40 on my main tank. The 40s were bought used and has been absolutely solid for me.

2 x MP10s on my smaller tanks btw- also no issues. Keep them clean, and change out the wet side if and when required.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a curve ball! I have been wanting to try the Reef Octopus ones! Might be worth a look as well :) Integrates well with a Neptune Apex also if you own one of those..

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never too late !
Still haven't gone and done the purchasing yet as I'm waiting until the flooring is sorted. Interesting you've had so many issue with the neros. My nero 3 has been pretty solid apart from maybe once where it jammed up because I didn't clean it for a long time. After a clean it was good to go again though.

Here's a curve ball! I have been wanting to try the Reef Octopus ones! Might be worth a look as well :) Integrates well with a Neptune Apex also if you own one of those..
Whilst I would love to have an apex or something to make monitoring a lot easier, it's not going to be part of the initial setup. The reef octopus seem to be interesting looking units though, but also a bit 'clunky' with the big pump controller attachment as well, not sure I'm a fan of that idea. (get it...? ...'fan').
I'd do the 40s if you are set on Ecotech. If you are open to other options, I'd look at the Tunze 6085 or 6125
Not a huge fan of the look of these ones now that I've looked into them, but looks like those two models wouldn't be ideal for my tank due to glass thickness (mine is 19mm I believe and these appear to only be good for 15mm).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back