Upgrade Build Thread - 90g Built-in

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my first real build thread!

We were "lucky" enough to have the city pump sewage into our downstairs a couple of weeks ago and now that we have gone through the clean up we get to completely remodel the downstairs. And as fun as that sounds, there is some good news. While I am going to have to move my current tank, which is a Waterbox 70.3, and doing well for being only 6 months old, I am going to have the chance to build s shelving/desk unit in my office that will include an aquarium space.

this is my current tank:
IMG_0159.jpg

We are starting construction next week and I am in the process of designing the built-ins and trying to decide on a tank and equipment.

For the tank, I am putting in a 48"Lx18"Dx24"H ~90G. I am learning towards glasscages or coast to coast for the actual tank. I have the current tank lighted with the Ecotech XR30 Blue and was going to get one more of those for the new tank. This will be primarily an SPS tank with a clam or two and a few SPS. I am really liking my elegance coral in the current tank.

For filtration - I am thinking of the Trigger systems Triton 34 V2 (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/triton34-v2-sump-trigger-systems.html) and running an algae scrubber above the refugium section with a Red Sea RS-300 skimmer. With the way my cabinets will be, I am going to have about 6' of cabinet space to house the sump and equipment so I think I should be able to get everything in there nice and neat.

Here is a picture of where this will all be going.
IMG_0178.jpg

More pictures to come as this progresses and I welcome any opinions on Filtration or setup!

Dub_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it will be a nice setup. Looking forward to seeing it come to life. I really like my Elegance coral too.

Woo Pig Sooie!! Hopefully it will be a good game when Arkansas and LSU play next month.

OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fun part, at least the first fun part, is over! I selected my tank and have glasscages building me a 90g rimless with a modular marine overflow. Joe at glass cages was extremely helpful and I would recommend them to anyone! great customer service.

Now the really sucky part is I have to wait for a few weeks while they tear out my first floor and rebuild everything.

Plus LSU lost again so seems to be a rough fall...... more updates once they start on my built-in stand.....

OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update on the thread for this weekend as I narrow down equipment. I already had an Ecotech radion G5 Blue light on the Waterbox tank, so I bought another one of these to cover the length of the new tank. I will have to figure out how I am going to mount them once I have my cabinets built.

I also bought another Ecotech S2 Vectre pump for the return. I am going to have returns on either side of the tank with an S2 for each. One of these will be going through a Pentair 25 watt UV and will be my shorter run to the return. I figure depending on head pressure that each will be returning around 400 gph.

I am running a Reef Octopus Varios 4 to feed my ATS and GAC reactor.

Pictures to come when things really get rolling!

OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a rough couple of weeks.....i think i may have bought my equipment to soon! Now all i can do is look at it while i wait for my tank to come in and my office to get refinished.....

I did pick up some new corals in anticipation of the transfer to a larger tank.

Attachments

• A8C6FA3A-67E1-4E1C-B889-252ACCDA5503.jpeg
    A8C6FA3A-67E1-4E1C-B889-252ACCDA5503.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 62
  • ABFB20DF-6905-46E9-9988-272C335249A1.jpeg
    ABFB20DF-6905-46E9-9988-272C335249A1.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having an internal debate and was curious to thoughts here. I was thinking of putting 2 Radion G5's over the tank since it's only 18" wide and 48" long....now I am kicking around the idea of three G5's to get a better spread throughout the tank or going with the 2 G5's plus a t5 hybrid fixture.

What's everyone's thought on those two options?

OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would update my build thread since I am bored this morning and have made absolutely no progress on construction for my office... With COVID, the weather in Texas, and the contractor's carpenter getting sick we are still waiting for cabinets.

However, I did start putting together my sump. I plan to run the Skimmer, the Santa Monica Rain2, and the Bio-pellet reactor. Instead of Pellet in the reactor, I am going to run the MarinePure spheres. I am planning to use my current live rock plus I have been cycling some dry rock for the last 6 weeks. I am leaning towards Barebottom at this point so think I'll want all the surface area I can find.

Attachments

• File_000 (3).jpeg
    File_000 (3).jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 71
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 70

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice setup!

OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my cabinets started. they should be finished this week and i can start setting up the new tank! its been a long wait to get this project finished and the new one up and running.

Here are a few pictures of the cabinets so far.

Attachments

• File_001 (1).jpeg
    File_001 (1).jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 65
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 52
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer! I am getting excited about it all coming together...hopefully next week i can start building out the sump and tank.

a quick picture of the built-ins before painting.

Attachments

• Cabinet 3.10.21.jpeg
    Cabinet 3.10.21.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly making some progress:

The built ins have been primed and have drilled all the holes and installed my electrical runs up to the top cabinets for the lights. I am hoping to have these painted this week..... and then I can start putting the tank together.

I will put the final coat of topside on the inside tomorrow and then can at least start on the sump and electrical down there!

Attachments

• Cabinet 3 3.20.jpeg
    Cabinet 3 3.20.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 56
  • Cabinet 1 3.20.jpeg
    Cabinet 1 3.20.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Cabinet 2 3.20.jpeg
    Cabinet 2 3.20.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished sealing the inside of the stand, hoping it gets painted this week!

Unfortunately, when I water tested the tank I noticed a defect in the front panel.....fortunately this was a glass cages tank and Joe @glasscages was excellent in taking care of this for me. If you are in the market for a new tank I would highly recommend glasscages. the tank was beautiful and you cannot beat the service.

With that, it looks like it will be a few more weeks before I get to the tank setup. But this will give me some time to perfect my sump and filtration plumbing!

Attachments

• Sealed Stand.jpeg
    Sealed Stand.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 50

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished sealing the inside of the stand, hoping it gets painted this week!

Unfortunately, when I water tested the tank I noticed a defect in the front panel.....fortunately this was a glass cages tank and Joe @glasscages was excellent in taking care of this for me. If you are in the market for a new tank I would highly recommend glasscages. the tank was beautiful and you cannot beat the service.

With that, it looks like it will be a few more weeks before I get to the tank setup. But this will give me some time to perfect my sump and filtration plumbing!
@LSU-reefer our pleasure to support. Thats who we are and will not change. Thanks for your support, we got you...

now.... on another topic...... Roll Tide!

OP
OP
LSU-reefer

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some quick weekend updates. I was able to get my sump under the stand and start wiring up my electrical cabinet.

I ordered two new return pumps so will have to wait until they arrive to finish up, but here's where it stands

Attachments

• Electrical 3.27.21.jpeg
    Electrical 3.27.21.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Sump 3.27.21.jpeg
    Sump 3.27.21.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 60

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back