R2R Coral Grow Out Challenge! WIN a Tank, LED's, Corals, Food & more!

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get the frag now but the growth that is measured will only be from the date we start. That's when a special code word will be given and a photo must be taken with the coral and code word together. You can get a frag now and let it settle in your tank but it must not be larger than the minimum size limit we set per each type of coral. If I were entering the contest I would get my frags now and let them settle so when the contest starts they will be ready to grow and already growing. The key is timing. Remember were not going to be putting all of the coral entries side by side to determine which is taller, etc. Judging will be based on growth rate, health of coral, patterns of growth, etc.

You can frag the coral now as long as by the time the contest begins it has not exceeded the size or polyp count mentioned in the rules.

As far as choosing a coral, pick the one that will grow fastest in your system. Only size and health of the coral are judged, not color or how rare it is.

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Willing to bet the person with the Texas trash palys will win the challenge....Seems like there should almost be a point system based on the overall growth and the type of coral choosen as a multiplier. button polyps, texas trash, pink and golds, and the likes get a multiplier of .5 lol

Last edited:

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh idk if my palys will even grow lol ... im betting on wether or not I can find a place in my tank they like before the comp

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the point of this isn't to choose the easiest fastest growing coral you can think of but to challenge your self so that is why i am going to submit my Jason Fox Strawberry Short Cake Acro as my SPS frag grow out

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the point of this isn't to choose the easiest fastest growing coral you can think of by challenge your self so that is why i am going to submit my Jason Fox Strawberry Short Cake Acro as my SPS frag grow out
+1 lol .. personally know I dont have a shot but I want to try and do my best

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the point of this isn't to choose the easiest fastest growing coral you can think of but to challenge your self so that is why i am going to submit my Jason Fox Strawberry Short Cake Acro as my SPS frag grow out
While I 100 percent agree with this statement I believe most are after the prizes. I would rather see the chosen winners get a badge next to their forum name and prizes given at random to all qualifying participants. I feel this would cut back on the cheating, favortisim, hard feelings and open up the contest to members who feel like the don't even have a chance.

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you also gotta remember its the first time they have had a comp like this so I bet there will be changes in future .

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well you also gotta remember its the first time they have had a comp like this so I bet there will be changes in future .

^^^This! :D

Plus we will give nice badges to winners! :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SpartaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOr zoas, can one use a rock that has several types, but each type has less than five heads? Each type being a seperate entry? Or just all of them a single entry but considering that each type had less than 5 heads?

I just fragged my acan down to 3 heads and I have a small acro Im trying to nurse back from being dropped on my duncan by my turbo snail... both are perfect for this. Only thing is I really dont have the time for the picture requirements... esp with top downa nd side and ruler etc... though I understand the need for those requirements...

Would like to try

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y'all ready for this!?!?! Feel free to go ahead and make your threads in the proper forums at your convenience. You can at least get that going! :)

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I expect to see a lot of slimers in the SPS acro category. What incentive is there to use a slower growing but different coral than a stag? Will the growth be considered based on species specific growth rates?

Last edited:

Touring

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only size and health of the coral are judged, not color or how rare it is.

Why are we not factoring color again? If i was a company giving out a prize to the winner i would want to make sure that caroal is beautiful in everyway... not just one aspect.

like judging a miss america pagent and her mind was the only thing graded...... this contest could be so much more.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back