R2R Coral Grow Out Challenge! WIN a Tank, LED's, Corals, Food & more!

Touring

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I expect to see a lot of slimers in the SPS acro category. What incentive is there to use a slower growing but different coral than a stag? Will the growth be considered based on species specific growth rates?

no incentive and species dosent matter....

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell The whole point is to have fun and to get people to try hard to grow corals lol ... sure anyone one can pick the fastest growers many are choosing not too . Its just a chance to have fun . Would it be nice to win something ? Absolutely but I think its more about having fun growing coral , with a little friendly competition, than it is about winning imo ... im sure I won't win . My biocube that i decided to use is only a few months old . Idk how fast my paly zoa morphs will grow or the little acan I have I just want to be apart of it lol
And you can bet your a**es ill try my best lol ...

Last edited:

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is ..... What really counts as proof of date ? Can I use a clipping of newspaper with the date ? I was thinking about making a card with all the required details and laminating it with the secret word and my name username and putting it by the coral in the water.... could I make a short video of me making that card as proof ?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel is in with a Acro only!

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is ..... What really counts as proof of date ? Can I use a clipping of newspaper with the date ? I was thinking about making a card with all the required details and laminating it with the secret word and my name username and putting it by the coral in the water.... could I make a short video of me making that card as proof ?

They will verify the date by giving us a secret item or word to put by or near the tank and to be visible in the first pictures on the day the contest begins. That way they can tell you didn't start early since you have no way of knowing what word or item they will choose until the start of the contest.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are we not factoring color again? If i was a company giving out a prize to the winner i would want to make sure that caroal is beautiful in everyway... not just one aspect.

like judging a miss america pagent and her mind was the only thing graded...... this contest could be so much more.

It's only the first time they have done this, I'm sure it will evolve every year. But this year it's just a grow out. Take the coral you think will grow as fast as possible in your tank and enter it. It doesn't matter whether it's ugly or not, as long as the coral is healthy and growing quickly.

There are other contests from time to time that have you take a sickly, bleached or browned coral and turn it into something beautiful, this is not one of those contests.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was wondering the same thing myself

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 6inch plastic ruler ill put in the tank and got some laminating plastic sheets

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 6inch plastic ruler ill put in the tank and got some laminating plastic sheets
I think you're over thinking it. Just need an index card on the glass with user name, date, and code word + a ruler for reference. Sure, people can cheat but that's not the point of this competition. Play by the rules and let's have some fun and maybe learn something in the process

SpartaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question to clarify for rules, not sure if asked or mentioned already. If you start with a small frag and it grows out but someone else starts with the max allowed and they grow bigger, yet teh rate of growth is bigger for teh person who started with a smaller frag... who would win?

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be judged by the growth rate and health of individual corals . So shouldn't matter what size you start with

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man its hard to choose what to use when given a chioce for grow out aye. Cant see a win here but sounds fun. So many choices.lol
Spying sps
Blue slimer
Gi joe stag
Ultimate purple
Yellow tip blurple polyp austerna
Or about 5 sweet unknown acros

Zoa
Sukura sunrise
King midas
Space monster
Orange bangs
Super circus zoa
Pink zippers
Laser lemons
Rastas
(No P&G growin out here - I have a controlled 5polyps and I like it that way.lol)

Acans
Any frag in the tank that has less than 5heads as all lps grows the same here - not fast.lol

Last edited:

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the vendors selling R2R grow out contest frag packs?? I'll take a free one for coming up with the idea!!

the-10th-planet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it be ok to switch tanks during the contest? I have a leaker, and I won't have time to switch cubes until the 80 hour weeks stop.

Back