Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha good thing these things are becoming extinct. 400w for a single bulb? That's more than my whole 625 liter system uses in total!
Actually halides aren’t that bad . A quality led will be 200 watts at full intensity. And sometimes you will need 2 of them to match a single halide . I’m not saying there are efficient , all the hype about it is crazy . Oh there’s still as many halides as always because they last decades.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any spectrum charts on aquabright solutions bulbs, or reef bright bulbs? It’s just a picture but … it helps me choose.
Anyone running both types how is the color on them . In 20000K . I’m all DE stuff. Still running the last of the Phoenix bulbs now .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a bummer, though not unexpected. After dispensing with my 450 and approaching the useful life of my ETM G4 Pro LEDs I was actually thinking about going back to 250 watt DE as I am looking for a less blue look. Kept all my old (and I mean OLD) ballasts and fixtures, but tossed out all the bulbs.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's interesting that many former advocates for halides have moved on to LEDs, or are considering the transition. Here's Reef Bum talking about how great his corals are growing under his GHL Mitra LEDs. - start at 2:50 (), Dr. Sanjay Joshi is already using Radions (I remember all of his MH spectrum and PAR posts from over a decade ago).

I suppose halide users have one option for the event when a certain political party restricts halides, similar to what they're doing to your home appliances and gasoline engines--buy enough now to last a decade.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's interesting that many former advocates for halides have moved on to LEDs, or are considering the transition. Here's Reef Bum talking about how great his corals are growing under his GHL Mitra LEDs. - start at 2:50 (), Dr. Sanjay Joshi is already using Radions (I remember all of his MH spectrum and PAR posts from over a decade ago).

I suppose halide users have one option for the event when a certain political party restricts halides, similar to what they're doing to your home appliances and gasoline engines--buy enough now to last a decade.

Keith, from ReefBum, is sponsored and sells his LEDs. He needs to use them to prove a point. It's his business. He didn't change the other halides tanks yet. When he told me his LEDs were better than halides I asked him why he didn't want to change everything to LEDs. He said no... The reason why his LEDs are comparable as "better" to his halides can simply be attributed to the higher intensity (PAR) he is using with the LEDs in comparison to the halides he had over that tank, with the number of LEDs over his tank and higher nutrient levels. Very expensive in comparison to his halides. His colonies under LEDs were noticeably distorted in comparison to under halides, he agreed.
Just like Sanjay. He is using more wattage with his LEDs than he used with those 400W halides he had before. He also said for a tank like his, halides would be still be the best. His priorities aren't quality of light. Some say he got his Radions for free, but I'm not sure about that.
It doesn't matter to anyone that uses halides. Read the whole thread to understand.
The truth is that halide users like the results. There is nothing wrong with that.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith, from ReefBum, is sponsored and sells his LEDs. He needs to use them to prove a point. It's his business. He didn't change the other halides tanks yet. When he told me his LEDs were better than halides I asked him why he didn't want to change everything to LEDs. He said no... The reason why his LEDs are comparable as "better" to his halides can simply be attributed to the higher intensity (PAR) he is using with the LEDs in comparison to the halides he had over that tank, with the number of LEDs over his tank and higher nutrient levels. Very expensive in comparison to his halides. His colonies under LEDs were noticeably distorted in comparison to under halides, he agreed.
Just like Sanjay. He is using more wattage with his LEDs than he used with those 400W halides he had before. He also said for a tank like his, halides would be still be the best. His priorities aren't quality of light. Some say he got his Radions for free, but I'm not sure about that.
It doesn't matter to anyone that uses halides. Read the whole thread to understand.
The truth is that halide users like the results. There is nothing wrong with that.
Not sure that is accurate
For one thing he runs Mitras LEDs not Radions.

I also believe he removed halides on a second tank.

Define " notably distorted" from their words not your "translation"...

Keith stated he has fantastic growth rates with the Mitras so sure more par can contribute. As more nutrients to feed the faster growth.

Much like someone switching from 110w black box to 250w mh.
No surprises there.

Summary at 4:30-ish..:)

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one that will kill mh's will be the manufacturers due to lessened demand from the real world...

It is not going to do the MH market a lot of good if "MH survivalists" buy a bunch now and then nothing for the next 10 years

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like Dr. Joshi, ask Keith how his corals did after the switch to all LEDs on his big tank. Ask him what happened to his Purple Monster and some of the other old school colonies that he used to talk about so much. Only simpletons make statements like "they all grow coral" or "they are doing just fine"... the smart dig in and explain the differences, what was lost, etc. I wonder if Keith regrets taking the halides down and losing those corals? I am going to ask him the next time that I see him. Dr. Joshi was one of the first to be real about what he lost, cannot grow as well not, etc. with his Radions - even almost a decade later, people still struggle to grow those same corals under LED.

There is no doubt that some corals grow quite well under LED. I want to keep acros that are not in that "some" list.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like Dr. Joshi, ask Keith how his corals did after the switch to all LEDs on his big tank. Ask him what happened to his Purple Monster and some of the other old school colonies that he used to talk about so much. Only simpletons make statements like "they all grow coral" or "they are doing just fine"... the smart dig in and explain the differences, what was lost, etc. I wonder if Keith regrets taking the halides down and losing those corals? I am going to ask him the next time that I see him. Dr. Joshi was one of the first to be real about what he lost, cannot grow as well not, etc. with his Radions - even almost a decade later, people still struggle to grow those same corals under LED.

There is no doubt that some corals grow quite well under LED. I want to keep acros that are not in that "some" list.
Funny.. If one includes what was lost maybe in fairness they need to add what was gained.. :)
Transitions are rarely easy..
Somehow I can't imagine someone continuing to use something for years and maybe 10 years without some advantage in using it..

Everyone gets your point. It all is a matter of each individual weighing it for their use.

If people are keeping the "horror" of leds quiet well who is being hurt?
As to the "past" well there are few that wont regret SOMETHING from the past.. but move on.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Joshi has been really honest about this. Corals are already gone - not getting those back. In a 10 year transition, you end up with a subset of corals that grow "just fine" - this is the positive for the tank... and that is about it. No energy savings, no cost savings. Maybe some thunderstorms for the hobbyist, but the corals don't care about that. If you want to grow the corals that you once did, you have to go back... which many people have done and posted and made videos about.

The important thing to point out is that the nuance and details are real. People not seeing them are probably not worth having their opinions considered anymore. That post above with the one video is indicative of this with half of the story and no follow up. You can also find plenty of videos where people have added back MH and unequivocally see results - balanced posters mention these too. I agree that people need to weigh it for their own use, but how do you do that with half of a story? This is what I have an issue with.

I would be interested to see what Keith thinks of this a year from now. I have not personally talked to him, but heard that he is not happy with his decision. He does know the difference. I was sad to hear that his PM colony die.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Joshi has been really honest about this. Corals are already gone - not getting those back. In a 10 year transition, you end up with a subset of corals that grow "just fine" - this is the positive for the tank... and that is about it. No energy savings, no cost savings. Maybe some thunderstorms for the hobbyist, but the corals don't care about that. If you want to grow the corals that you once did, you have to go back... which many people have done and posted and made videos about.

The important thing to point out is that the nuance and details are real. People not seeing them are probably not worth having their opinions considered anymore. That post above with the one video is indicative of this with half of the story and no follow up. You can also find plenty of videos where people have added back MH and unequivocally see results - balanced posters mention these too. I agree that people need to weigh it for their own use, but how do you do that with half of a story? This is what I have an issue with.

I would be interested to see what Keith thinks of this a year from now. I have not personally talked to him, but heard that he is not happy with his decision. He does know the difference. I was sad to hear that his PM colony die.
Whos fault is it if its 1/2 the story?
And how does one draw a fair conclusion when you see stuff like this?

Sanjay switched to Radions back in 2016 after a complete tank crash..
This is pics of a 2.5yr old tank under said radions?
and you imply he regrets it?

cover-image

Unless Keith says and clarifies it I'd be cautious as to any 3rd party statements.
Well as to half the story how about how many tanks got fried by mh's?
Or switching to/from t5's?
No need to answer, its not really quantifiable ..
How about lists of corals that hate leds?
And those that have no issues.
You know some real help.

Personally,, both sides seem to be prone to exaggeration...and taking things out of context.
I do admire your passive aggressive approach though.

For fun..Corals were fine.. ;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whos fault is it if its 1/2 the story?
And how does one draw a fair conclusion when you see stuff like this?

Sanjay switched to Radions back in 2016 after a complete tank crash..
This is pics of a 2.5yr old tank under said radions?
and you imply he regrets it?

cover-image

Unless Keith says and clarifies it I'd be cautious as to any 3rd party statements.
Well as to half the story how about how many tanks got fried by mh's?
Or switching to/from t5's?
No need to answer, its not really quantifiable ..
How about lists of corals that hate leds?
You know some real help.

Personally,, both sides seem to be prone to exaggeration...and taking things out of context.
I do admire your passive aggressive approach though.

For fun..Corals were fine.. ;)

But,but, but…… this thread isn’t even a led vs mh debate… it’s about radium bulbs. There back and end of story! lol

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But,but, but…… this thread isn’t even a led vs mh debate… it’s about radium bulbs. There back and end of story! lol
Maybe add 1/2 doz others to this post? Oh make it a dozen.
Let me make this perfectly clear.. MH or led.. Pick one for yourself. Know why you pick it..Or any other combo/tech.
:)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add 1/2 doz others to this post? Oh make it a dozen.
Let me make this perfectly clear.. MH or led.. Pick one for yourself. Know why you pick it..Or any other combo.
:)
I know it’s just not you lol… it’s crazy to me no mater what any led or mh thread goes sideways no mater what! I need have to rev start a mh forum and a led forum and you can only join the group that you have on your tank haha! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an email today from Aqua Bright Solutions saying for Radium bulbs “Only a few cases remaining. Get them before it’s gone!”

It was my understanding that Radium was again making their 250 & 400 watt bulbs and ABS was going to be the US supplier. Is this just a marketing ploy or are they really not getting anymore?

I’m sure other’s received this email as well.

Just wondering.

Alright! Got an email from Radium this morning to take away the rumors of that email from Aqua Bright Solutions...
Radium confirmed the production for both types (250W and 400W) will continue for the time being.

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been scrolling through the thread . So far available bulbs at this time is .
Reefbright double end bulbs @250 w 20000k
Radium SE 200000k bulbs thx to Aqua bright solutions
A small variety of no brand bulbs on eBay and other places
What else ? Any action from Hamilton or Phoenix, or ushio?
Reefbrite has single ended bulbs as well.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%

Back