Reef Radiance led light..OMG..What a light....

DO NOT PM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed my point. It does not matter where your product is made - in the US or China or any other country. It is not where it is made - it is who makes it. You can find products that are of the lowest quality manufactured in the US and the very best of the best products ( Apple - HP - Samsung ) made in China. The exact percentage of countries manufacturing lights sold here is not what I was Illuminating - it was that you need to focus on who -specifically - builds your light ( or other product ) not where. I am not sure the 3 manufacturers you mention constitute a very significant percentage of light sold in the US by volume - BUT I would imagine they constitute a larger percentage of the dollar volume spent on LEDs sold in the US - as the prices for these models are much higher than the vast majority of lights that are purchased.

I hope this clears this up.

Rick

Rick I'm not interested in a match about who sold more. But I will clarify my statement further:

AquaIllumination - Makes their own PCB (circuit boards) in their own facility in Iowa
Ecotech - Makes their own PCB (circuit boards) in their own facility in PA
Kessil - makes their own PCB (circuit boards) and LEDS in their own facility CA and Taiwan (if I remember correctly)

Clearly I'm bias, but I'm trying to make an unbiased point. Which is these 3 companies actually make their own boards in their own facility, to their own standards without involving 3rd parties, regardless of the country. There may be others as well, but these are the 3 I know about.

I suppose I could add GHL who makes their own products in Germany as well.

Hence, your 95% number should apply to those products made in China, as that is pretty much the rest of the brands on the market place without getting nit picky.

Touring

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick I'm not interested in a match about who sold more. But I will clarify my statement further:

AquaIllumination - Makes their own PCB (circuit boards) in their own facility in Iowa
Ecotech - Makes their own PCB (circuit boards) in their own facility in PA
Kessil - makes their own PCB (circuit boards) and LEDS in their own facility CA and Taiwan (if I remember correctly)

Clearly I'm bias, but I'm trying to make an unbiased point. Which is these 3 companies actually make their own boards in their own facility, to their own standards without involving 3rd parties, regardless of the country. There may be others as well, but these are the 3 I know about.

I suppose I could add GHL who makes their own products in Germany as well.

Hence, your 95% number should apply to those products made in China, as that is pretty much the rest of the brands on the market place without getting nit picky.

For what its worth iv got more growth out of ricks "Chinese" lights" which were $100, than 2 kessil 350's over a 93 cube. You can make your high priced L.E.D's all day and claim they are made in the "states" but most consumers aren't rich and eventually will stop buying your product's.
Why would i buy a $1,000+ unit when i could get the same results for $300. "Quality" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA My SPS dont care what brand of light they are getting, as long as they are getting some. "Warranty"? Im getting 2 years with Reef Radiance. ! more year than i did with Kessil....

Last edited by a moderator:

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His post is on topic and relevant. When someone is telling stories, they need to be called out on it.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please start another thread if you have a issue with what someone is saying or PM the person directly. You kind of ruined this thread.

+1 - the back and forth did really take away from the thread, but I also know how hard it is to hold my tongue when someone bashes something I like.

I have seen tanks with AI lights and loved the way they look, I just didn't see a $1000 difference in those tanks and one lit with less expensive lights. Oh well, my lights haven't arrived yet but everyone I have communicated with that has even the lowest price fixture loves them. One day maybe I will decide that I need $1800 in lights, I just hope that's because I have a HUGE frag tank, not because I need to buy AIs to get the light I need for my current tank.

Last edited:

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please start another thread if you have a issue with what someone is saying or PM the person directly. You kind of ruined this thread.

For what its worth iv got more growth out of ricks "Chinese" lights" which were $100, than 2 kessil 350's over a 93 cube. You can make your high priced L.E.D's all day and claim they are made in the "states" but most consumers aren't rich and eventually will stop buying your product's.
Why would i buy a $1,000+ unit when i could get the same results for $300. "Quality" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA My SPS dont care what brand of light they are getting, as long as they are getting some. "Warranty"? Im getting 2 years with Reef Radiance. ! more year than i did with Kessil....

Really.... Facts are Facts my friend :)

DO NOT PM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I apologize Touring & TrishW, I wasn't trying to bash anyone's light or decision on what to buy. Just like others have mentioned there are plenty of fine products made all over the world including China.

Sidepipes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Ai's are beautiful lights, but $1,200 for my project is way out of my league. I have a mortgage a wife and kids. So Reef Rad gets my business.

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the $1000+ led lighting are very nice looking lights but they don't differentiate themselves from other leds anyone can buy. Not counting all the extra gimmicks the companies put in and the cases, I can buy the same amount of crees, ballasts and reflectors and have a better and cheaper light that grows coral just as well. If you look at their R&D it doesn't seem like they put any effort into the LED itself only the programs that come with the lights. The only one that comes close is Kessil since they have their own led chip but that is still nothing more then just different emitters put onto one big chip exactly like the Dream Chip. If a company would produce an led that has all the different spectrums combined into one single emitter that only they can produce then that would be worth some money and a reason not to diy.

Last edited:

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one of the DM-132e fixtures for a little over a month now and I really like it. Rick is a great guy selling a great product. This is my first LED fixture. I have always been a Halide and T5 guy, but this fixture has changed my mind about LEDs. I have seen numerous other LED fixtures from DIY to Radions. In my opinion this fixture is just as good as the "high end" US made units in color rendition and light output. It doesn't have all the controllability and "cool" features like a lightning storm or cloud cover or moon cycles or whatever else that the expensive fixtures have. But it's less than $175!! Do I care that I can't program a thunderstorm to go off when I'm not home? Nope! Not for $150 I don't.

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dm-155's shipped today, very excited! I will post pics when I receive them.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got mine! LOVE IT. granted I havent tried to grow anything in the 2 days I have had it..

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me4yheba.jpg

ahage7u3.jpg

ajyhu9u9.jpg

I used the existing hanging tabs and ran the screws thru their holes so no modification to the fixture at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me4yheba.jpg

ahage7u3.jpg

ajyhu9u9.jpg

I used the existing hanging tabs and ran the screws thru their holes so no modification to the fixture at all.

Nice, thanks. Did they come with hanging wires? Mine will be in a canopy so that will be the best way to hang them I think.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Is diy. It came with 4 wires and an "S" hook.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back