OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, so wrasses are first class citizen

Pretty much haha :p they took over priority real quick I love me some fairies and flashers, matter of fact there is still one or two that I've been keeping an eye out for. Hopefully I'll see them pop up for sale soon it's been a little while since I last seen one in the trade

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past couple of days test results are as follows :
1. 6/27/16. 9 Am before work
DKH- 7.4
Cal-470
Mag- 1380
2. 6/27/16. 12AM after dosing 36ml DKH
DKH - 9.1
Cal - didn't check figured it would be the same since nothing was dosed (470)
Mag- didn't check figured it would be the same since nothing was dosed (1380)
3. 6/27/16 9pm after work
DKH 8.4
Cal- 390 (dropped 80 ppm in 12 hours??) must of messed this one up according to 6/28 test results ?
Mag- forgot to check ?!? (I'm assuming it's dropping 40ppm in a 24 hour period though based on the mag levels from 6/27-6/28 @ 9AM)
4. 6/28/16 9am before work (PH 8.2)
DKH- 8.0
Cal-425
Mag- 1340

Will be checking again tomorrow to verify my daily consumption and after that I will start my daily dosing and testing to fine tune the adjustments on dosage :D

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approx. Daily consumption
DKH- 0.4
Cal- 45 ppm
Mag-20 ppm

6/30/16 tested @ 10am after dosing for approx. daily consumption rates @ 9am
DKH- 9.5
Cal- 460
Mag- 1360

I'm gonna drop the dosage a bit on each param and check again see if I can get them at DKH 9 , cal 420, and mag 1350

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got called into work earlier than normal yesterday didn't get to dose myself in the morning or test so I asked my dad to do the ml dosing for me I think he might have added too much my calcium numbers were a bit high this morning after I dosed. Gonna drop the dosing like 10-15 ml on the calcium additive and see what happens. Alk and mag has stayed the same :D

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a very lucky hobbyist to have a friend who's father owns amazing sps reef tank, he happen to give me some very awesome frags to start out my sps collection on my tank here's what the pieces I got from my friends father actually look like :p
https://imgur.com/a/dcNpc

& now Everything is in the tank , polyps are extended on all pieces and the color didn't brown out !! so I think that's a good sign ;) more pictures !
A little FTS:
https://imgur.com/a/PgmEx
Left side:
https://imgur.com/a/Ohaf4
Right side:
https://imgur.com/a/IYVgW

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well had to pull the trigger on this bubble Magnus BM-T11 was 25% off at my lfs and I was really in the need for one of these at some point in the very near future and with my tank having the ever looming chance of getting destroyed again for the second time while I go on vacation. I'll be leaving the 25th so I figured might as well buy this while it's on sale and get it dialed in and set up correctly before I'm on vacation so I don't have to worry about my tank sitters inability to follow simple instructions, don't know when I'll see another that cheap.
https://imgur.com/a/NFiAl

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good I've been having a hard time finding the specific drop values for calcium and magnesium in my tank they seem to be random daily whereas my alkalinity has dropped steadily at the same rate everyday for weeks. I have continued to add 25ml of reef foundation B liquid daily to maintain alkalinity at 9.0 DKH and testing daily on top of that to make sure my values stay within the needed ranges on average. I'm adding about 30 ml of calcium over a 2-4 day period to maintain cal within 420-450ppm haven't found a solid daily value on this one yet so I'll keep testing and see what happens. Mag is same way

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XTWKz
https://imgur.com/a/XTWKz
Thanks for the kind words but wait till this bad boy grows out ! I've got it almost completely stocked on sps, some high ends here and there but mostly some not so high end Millie's and a few random acros. Everything is growing and coloring up nicely I'm getting super excited some frags are encrusting over plugs & sides fully while others have started to get moving forward. everything that was fresh cut that I put into my tank has encrusted over the glue mounds and onto the face of their ceramic disks and tiles, as of today I have space saved for 3-4 more frags in the "prime real estate" area for my tank. It is specifically for designer species from reef raft Canada and battle corals just waiting on the funds ! I've have had my eyes set since Adam posted those battle pack grab bags on the forum and people started posting pics of what they got from him. Can't wait to stop adjusting coral positioning & dosing schedules and to just sit back and watch it fill in! so far a good 85-90% of the corals in the pic are in their permanent home however thinking of moving the sunset/rainbow Millie away from that left side elsewhere not too sure yet though. And a current picture of the condition of my reef up top :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Corals are continuing to color up and grow nicely. I'm starting to pull sweet colors out of my sps and Params have been steady over the last week. DKH drop is 1.2 per day, Cal I'm measuring at about 10 ppm a day and mag is still undetermined but has been hovering in the safe zone this whole time w/ water changes. Did my scheduled maintenance on all my equipment tonight and scraped the coraline and algae off my glass panels after scrubbing away most of the little algae/cyano/Dino on my rocks.

However It's never been anything serious or harmful to my corals or no3/po4 levels but something about the look of coraline covered rock surface makes me happy, I like my system clean and go a little overboard on algae control lol.

I Will be going on vacation for a week and a half to Cabo come Monday and I'm getting kinda scared last time I went on vacation was horrible. had a total tank crash and I'm trying desperately to avoid that this time around... Will be setting up my doser tomorrow to have at least a day to check over param swings & such after getting the doser online before I leave. I know I should have got it on earlier than later, but I have been anxious about setting it up as I don't want to over dose the system with anything. I have since figured out a steady drop for alkalinity and calcium per day and will be using that data to hook up the doser. I'll leave a picture of my tank since i moved some coral & since I love how clean it looks after I took a razor blade to the glass.:p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today's the big day :rolleyes: I'm super excited for the trip but I'm scared to hell for my fish and coral babies lol. it's gonna be some good family bonding time but im cringing at the thought of all my critters and corals being held at the mercy of a friend of mine...I Spent the last day and a half showing him how to use the Red Sea pro test kits accurately, how to manually dose the Red Sea supplements into the tank as well as changing the media in my BRS reactors, cleaning the skimmer head & my feeding schedule for the fish as well as some other general equipment / tank maintenance :eek: I really hope all goes well I will have an update of the reef come August 1st ;) until then I'll just have to post some pics of reef and marine related topics hopefully I can grab a water proof camera and snap some pics of the reef while snorkeling

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been getting updates via FaceTime everyday in the morning when lights turn on and additives are being added. My buddy has mastered the Red Sea test kit lol and has been giving me readings that correspond with what I had been getting for the past few weeks so all is well chemistry wise in the tank.

Fish are looking happy & healthy and corals are continuing to grow & color is still getting more vibrant as the day goes on. My friend made me laugh pretty hard this morning he was all is that brown thing that looks like a bunch of little sticks put together supposed to change colors???
:D I guess my pink lemonade mini colony has finally colored up to those nice rich yellow tips and bright pink polyps.

I'll leave a picture of one of the frags I accidentally broke off my pink lemonade when finding its permanent home about a week ago, this thing is taking off encrusting over the glue and onto the plug in literally 7 days. I'm gonna post a picture of that piece so we can see some before and after growth pics from the time I was gone till I return. Hopefully there will be some noticeable growth :p

85146400-EF51-455B-BE57-04E0DCB88C3B_zpszjia7tss.jpg

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ! Growth has been steady since I returned from vacation, I did loose a few frags some sps one was a chalice must of fell In the sand or something for too long they were solid white. But other than that everything is doing great :D

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting, Yes ! I am very pleased with that skimmer it has endured a lot of waste to pull I'm sure lol and years of maintenance on top of that. it is a work horse for sure ;)

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So here's an updated picture of the pink lemonade it's starting to get some yellows and greens in it :) all other corals are growing well most notably so is the red planet I can literally see the growth daily lol

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my WP-25 finally gave out lol if anyone has a gyre or mp10 they want to sell hit me up ! I need some flow in this bad boy ASAP :mad:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back