Ritteri Concern w/ Photo

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a massive Ritteri Anemone from my LFS. This guy is huge and has a purple brownish base and tentacles With purple tips. Now, this anemone has been in someone’s tank for a few years and then the LFS bought it for credit and has had it for a month.

My concern is his color. The photo might be a little lighter than he actually is. He’s a little darker in person but still, he has patches of his body that are bleached and the rest is more of a dark brown tint.

should I be concerned and is there anything I can do to help him color up more?

4EE6C980-FAB7-4CA3-8B0C-46B93D1EE489.jpeg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it is otherwise healthy, it will regain its color over the next couple months. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t deflate. That’s a sigh of infection. Looks good in your pic though.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it is otherwise healthy, it will regain its color over the next couple months. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t deflate. That’s a sigh of infection. Looks good in your pic though.

thank you, that’s good to hear. Should I feed him or just leave him be? He is soaking up the light from the radions for now

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would estimate that your Magnifica about 6 inches in the picture above. This is not a "massive Ritteri Anemone":). I had Magnifica that are 18 inches in diameter.
I think your Magnifica bleached a little from change in condition, water chemistry, current and light. As long as he does not discharge any more zooxanthellae , he should be fine, and will recover without problem.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree w all above ,time ,happy reefing

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would estimate that your Magnifica about 6 inches in the picture above. This is not a "massive Ritteri Anemone":). I had Magnifica that are 18 inches in diameter.
I think your Magnifica bleached a little from change in condition, water chemistry, current and light. As long as he does not discharge any more zooxanthellae , he should be fine, and will recover without problem.

haha to me it looked massive, I believe you’re right about it’s size.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : came home late tonight while lights were on lunar mode. The anemone was on the back glass basically right under the light and right on the surface. Don’t know if he was like that all day while I was out or just at the night time but is this normal? My radions are usually run at 40-50% intensity and the night mode is 3% intensity.

excuse the photo quality, taken under lunar lights.. heavy in blue and purple

59BD749A-0732-40BA-AA24-F25835C39E43.jpeg

OnyxPerc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : came home late tonight while lights were on lunar mode. The anemone was on the back glass basically right under the light and right on the surface. Don’t know if he was like that all day while I was out or just at the night time but is this normal? My radions are usually run at 40-50% intensity and the night mode is 3% intensity.

excuse the photo quality, taken under lunar lights.. heavy in blue and purple

59BD749A-0732-40BA-AA24-F25835C39E43.jpeg

This is normal, it's seeking more light. These anemones LOVEEEEE light. Consider ramping up your lighting intensity slowly.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has some brown which means it has some zooxanthellae left which is good. Matter of fact it looks like it has a decent amount left..
It looks more like it has lost some pigments which can come back.

To me the biggest issues with H. Magnifica and moving them is the foot can rip. This is very hard to recover from.
To me this is the biggest issue with them and finding a healthy one. Part of the issue is they allot of the time are larger to which make it even harder to move.

They can be wanders if they do not like the spot especially at first till they find a spot they like. Also the spot is usually the highest spot with the allot of flow. It is also the reason they climb the glass allot.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has some brown which means it has some zooxanthellae left which is good. Matter of fact it looks like it has a decent amount left..
It looks more like it has lost some pigments which can come back.

To me the biggest issues with H. Magnifica and moving them is the foot can rip. This is very hard to recover from.
To me this is the biggest issue with them and finding a healthy one. Part of the issue is they allot of the time are larger to which make it even harder to move.

They can be wanders if they do not like the spot especially at first till they find a spot they like. Also the spot is usually the highest spot with the allot of flow. It is also the reason they climb the glass allot.
I don’t plan on touching him now that he’s in the tank, I assume if they can get up on the glass I can let them find they’re way down?
Do they like a lot of flow?

OnyxPerc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can find their way down, but it's unlikely. These nems seek a high point in the tank typically. People usually set up an island of rockwork spaced away from all sides of the glass and other rockwork, and let the nem climb to the top of the island, that way you dont have to deal with it crawling up the glass. They love tons of strong flow as well.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can find their way down, but it's unlikely. These nems seek a high point in the tank typically. People usually set up an island of rockwork spaced away from all sides of the glass and other rockwork, and let the nem climb to the top of the island, that way you dont have to deal with it crawling up the glass. They love tons of strong flow as well.

I really appreciate the info. Will be rearranging the rock work a lil so I can keep it away from the walls and hopefully he likes it there. What kind of pumps do you use for good flow? I have a 425xl

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you are very careful about protecting it from powerheads until it really firmly plants it’s foot. Mine always seems to wander on the rock I place it on until it finds the exact spot it likes. Once you can see that the foot is really clamped down I have never had one move. And like others have mentioned. Position it so no part of it can touch the side of the tank or any rock you don’t want it to go on. They will always seek the highest point on any surface they make contact with.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you are very careful about protecting it from powerheads until it really firmly plants it’s foot. Mine always seems to wander on the rock I place it on until it finds the exact spot it likes. Once you can see that the foot is really clamped down I have never had one move. And like others have mentioned. Position it so no part of it can touch the side of the tank or any rock you don’t want it to go on. They will always seek the highest point on any surface they make contact with.

My tank has no power heads in the display portion, I just have my Vectra running strong flow with the Y return splitter. would this be sufficient ?

edit: Should I be concerned with the overflow weirs from Red Sea?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand where you are coming from however, i have a purple ritteri heading my way this saturday. I have prepared a section for it in my aquarium. Like many others have mentioned.... it moves to the highest point on the structure its connected too.. The rock island on the very right is "Magnifica Island". Its not connected to anything.

1583353448809.png

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back