Sand, bare bottom, or...? The deliberations continue!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, this seems like one of those old discussion that I seem to resurrect from time to time, but it's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately:

Barebottom or sand in my new tank?

IMG_2945.jpg

This is one of those topics that will bring out adamant supporters on both sides, and each has valid points. The reality to me is almost entirely (almost) aesthetics, actually! It's not about nutrient build up, keeping the tank clean- you know, the traditional arguments one way or another. With due respect to the "it helps you keep your reef cleaner" crowd, I know very well how to keep a tank looking clean, so I won't use that as a basis for my decision.

I've maintained deep sand beds, shallow sand beds, rubble bottoms, Ricordea bottoms-all sorts of substrates-during my reefing "career", and I'm just as open to any of these ideas as I would be if I never even had a reef before. I even saw some tank at MACNA that used good old crushed coral substrates and looked awesome!

Weird. Why do I deliberate over this stuff in such an agonizingly tedious manner? I know now that i am truly "back in the game..! " :)

I like the idea of bare bottom for really one reason, believe it or not: You can throw wicked water movement into your tank and not care a lick about sand flying all over the place. Yes, detritus stays in suspension in a BB system, which is a big plus when you feed a lot, but the aesthetics are a bit annoying to me, at least early on, before coralline and such grows on the bottom. I'm not sure what it always bothers me...I mean, with a beautiful rock scape and a lush growth of colorful corals, the last thing you'll focus on is the bottom, I think.

We just set up two of our 500 gallon show tanks here at UC- and one is a bare bottom soft coral-dominated tank, the other a stony coral-dominant tank and bare bottom, with what will ultimately be a rubble-zone area at one side.

I like them both.

Dang.

Ever had this
dilemma? It was big deal in 2005. Not so much these days.

Except to this weird.

I guess a coral purist would say not to do anything-add anything- that detracts from the corals, and that includes sand or other substrates. Or, that it represents bioload and competes with corals for available nutrients, trace elements, etc. A reef tank- or more properly, a coral tank, doesn't need all of that distraction...

But I'm building a reef tank. I think. Right? :)

And of course, the pro-substrate gang would say that the substrate provides a more natural aesthetic simulation of the reef environment, provides more homes for micro-fauna, on-site nutrient processing, fosters some food for corals, and other biological benefits.

So that just levels the playing field for each camp, right?

I also tend to think about this in terms of my setup. I'm planning on using an AIO tank, which will not have a traditional sump-type setup, and as such, cannot really have a "traditional" refugium (although these days, I tend to think "refugium" is best re-quantified as a "macro algae refugium"- but that's a discussion for another post, right?). This means that the idea of interpreting a benefit of the sand as a biological" filtration adjunct is irresistible! Or is it?

I mean, bacteria congregate on rock, acrylic surfaces, etc....all of which can support a population of dentrifying bacteria quite nicely, right? Rock can be seen as "boiled", because it also has other "macro forms" of live living in it, all of which release metabolic waste, etc. as part of their life processes...

Urrghh! It's enough to make a guy's head spin. Or mine, anyways.

In the end, I think I'm back to the argument about aesthetics...And it's a matter of which way I want to go: As natural as possible, or more "deconstructed" and artistic? None of this would have been as difficult for me to get my head around once again if I didn't see a picture of a bare bottom freshwater tank not that long ago (you recall I shared a pic of it here)...That made me think, "Well, if the FW guys are doing it and it looks cool, that validates the reef bare bottom mindset, right?"

Oh, boy. In the end, it's about doing what makes sense for me. About what I like.

And my problem:

I like it all.

The "bipolar nightmare" continues...

"Fellman, just get the tank going already...."

I hear ya. Told you I'd share all of the nitty gritty stuff as I begin my build!

Thoughts?

Stay wet...because I won't in my own tank for a bit, I think...

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its bare bottom all the way. Its great being able to easily siphon debris whenever I see it accumulate. Also, I like the extra real estate for corals. Its awesome having a bottom covered with colorful zoas or montis. But, I agree that it comes down to aesthetics for the most part. If you really like how sand looks and you're willing to work at keeping it clean, then by all means use sand. One annoying thing about sand for me was always how much it would blow all over the place and get on things I didn't want it on. I don't think either way has any real advantage in terms of water quality or coral health, etc. I've seen amazing, unbelievable tanks with sand and without. Its all about what you like!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its bare bottom all the way. Its great being able to easily siphon debris whenever I see it accumulate. Also, I like the extra real estate for corals. Its awesome having a bottom covered with colorful zoas or montis. But, I agree that it comes down to aesthetics for the most part. If you really like how sand looks and you're willing to work at keeping it clean, then by all means use sand. One annoying thing about sand for me was always how much it would blow all over the place and get on things I didn't want it on. I don't think either way has any real advantage in terms of water quality or coral health, etc. I've seen amazing, unbelievable tanks with sand and without. Its all about what you like!
Yeah, the main "functional" issue I have with sand is the blowing around of substrate. To the point where I find myself saying, "I'd rather have NO sand at all than a substrate that's constantly piled up all over..."

-Scott

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both and end up going back to sand every time. I just like the critters in the sand and the look. Then again, I like the wild look in the yard that the neighbors do not always enjoy too. so each to there own. They both work and both will be great!

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
scott, what about a faux bottom for almost the best of both worlds. high flow and aesthetically pleasing sans the home for sand burrowing creatures?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scott, what about a faux bottom for almost the best of both worlds. high flow and aesthetically pleasing sans the home for sand burrowing creatures?
I've kicked around that idea...I've seen some nicely done ones. When I play that idea in my head, I go back to a "rubble bottom" concept of small-to-golfball-sized pieces of rock, which I did one if n the past, and it was a great tank for wicked flow and crazy "SPS" growth...The thing I remember best about that tank was that, if you clumsily knocked a pic of a coral off the tip, it would lodge in the substrate and you'd get these super cool frags popping up all over...I liked that! It's a different play on a biotope aquarium, for sure!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend time getting the copepods it the sand and rocks as they clean the junk on the sand that bare bottom people have to siphon out. Better to have a natural system than one that relies on Human to do a task. [emoji3]As we know humans can not be trusted to do anything when it should be done. [emoji3]

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 1" sand bed is and has always been my preference. For the pods and other benthic critters, the sand sleeping wrasses, and because it just looks right. But whatever you do Scott will look awesome. Do you!! :D

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep many expensive and fragile fish. The closer I can get to mimicking their natural environment, the better. Sand is the only way.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed for me all the way, I love Anampses, Leopards and other sand dwelling wrasses way too much. I know I can do a bowl somwhere in the back but its still a bowl and I still want several one for each wrasse

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed for me all the way, I love Anampses, Leopards and other sand dwelling wrasses way too much. I know I can do a bowl somwhere in the back but its still a bowl and I still want several one for each wrasse
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. LOVE wrasses too much to not have sand, and to me it just looks natural. Bare bottom tanks just look too sterile for me.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of something on the glass....rubble would be nice or the crazy shell-mix gravel....but I gotta say, sugar fine araganite is the best looking IMO

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks have always had sand beds, but the problem is 1) The sand you really want is fine sand for wrasses and gobies. 2) The fine sand you really want becomes a dust storm with any amount of flow.

My next tank may have a barebottom made of white Starboard. I think that could be the best solution, even though it will inevitably be covered in coralline at least it won't be a mirror surface like regular glass (which I have now on one end of my tank since my Gyre has decided I can't have sand in that corner).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back