B4kjMEb.jpg

Euphylia Garden
K5j51cw.png

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup Sang, truly jealous of the fish room behind. Do you have any future plans to remote locate the sump/skimmer to the fish room as well? Or is the omega setup quiet enough not to warrant it? Do you need to run a dehumidifier in the fish room or was that a vent to the fish room that I saw top right of the DT?

Also, how do you like the gyre? Thinking of going with one instead of upgrading my current mp10's to 40's . Sorry for all the ?'s man, keep us posted!

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup Sang, truly jealous of the fish room behind. Do you have any future plans to remote locate the sump/skimmer to the fish room as well? Or is the omega setup quiet enough not to warrant it? Do you need to run a dehumidifier in the fish room or was that a vent to the fish room that I saw top right of the DT?

Also, how do you like the gyre? Thinking of going with one instead of upgrading my current mp10's to 40's . Sorry for all the ?'s man, keep us posted!

I welcome questions so no problem :xd:

Future plans: Nope, no room for sump in the fish room. I had originally considered this but then it seems like im wasting the space under the stand. The skimmer is quiet enough to not bother me. Most of the noise is from overflow (which is a pain to tune perfectly) and the return pumps. Long term plan is a tank that spans the whole wall (96" give or take) and i'm also toying around with the idea of a massive propagation setup in my garage (think 20' long raceway tank).

No dehumidifier needed. I live in the desert plus the AC unit intake is actually inside that room. The vent you see allow air into the room for the AC to suck up.

Gyre is fantastic. One of them on about half speed is about as much flow as my sandbed can deal with without turning into multiple huge piles of sand. Easily sends a solid laminar water column to the other side of the tank. It really gets all the water in the tank moving in unison - pretty cool to see when you put food in. I have never owned the Ecotech pumps but I've heard many people have replaced 2-6 MP40's with one Gyre. The flow isnt quite the same as it isnt random/crashing flow, but you can achieve that by mixing the Gyre with normal powerheads that alternate flow patterns.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just replaced my old MP40's with the new ones and there is a really big difference from the old model and the new models. I bought the Reef Link with them. I'm not sorry I spent all that money it was well worth it.

Gene

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my old MP40's with the new ones and there is a really big difference from the old model and the new models. I bought the Reef Link with them. I'm not sorry I spent all that money it was well worth it.

Gene

The MP40's are great pumps, its just a different flow pattern. They move a jet of water vs a column/gyre. I think the best is a combination of both types of flow.

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info Sang. Appreciate your input as well GPW. Decisions, decisions...Love the idea of having one power head so I can leave one of the sides free of any obstructions since it will be viewed from an angle on one side most of the time. Sang - your currently only running the gyre right? 20' tank?! I would not want to spec out lighting for that :squigglemouth: but sounds pretty awesome!

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info Sang. Appreciate your input as well GPW. Decisions, decisions...Love the idea of having one power head so I can leave one of the sides free of any obstructions since it will be viewed from an angle on one side most of the time. Sang - your currently only running the gyre right? 20' tank?! I would not want to spec out lighting for that :squigglemouth: but sounds pretty awesome!

I have a Gyre XF150 and a Jebao WP10. I just grabbed a Jebao RW-15 to add some extra flow behind my main rockwork and to give some more random flow to the tank.

Lighting the planned big tank won't be that bad. Probably go with some of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YXTBA6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm actually considering grabbing one of those to replace my frag tank light setup too.

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to take a few macro shots (without a macro lens mind you) tonight of the inverts in my frag tank.

Black and White Squat Lobster (I have an Orange/Red striped one too but he was hiding)
O69CD5o.jpg

Arrow Crab
Mema8oN.jpg

Periclimenes yucatan
TSMyp5Z.jpg

Periclimenes yucatan
o8uIY2c.jpg

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring tank! Your fish room is hands down the coolest thing I've seen and I can only imagine how smooth it makes things! Keep up the pics, love um!

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current lighting program on the ATI is looking kind of crazy.

Spotlighting the center of the tank for clams and a bit less light on the right for the LPS/Shrooms

PSLfKBI.png

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New light for my frag tank (48x18x18). I really wanted to do T5 but couldn't justify the price of a new ATI fixture on a frag tank.

So I ended up purchasing a 6bulb 48" Hydrofarm with the expectation it would put out probably 30-50% less light then my ATI Powermodule when only running T5s. Boy was I wrong.

With 4 T5 bulbs (2 Blue+, 1 Coral+, 1 Actinic) on the ATI I get about 250PAR at 26".

With 6 bulbs (4 Blue+ and 2 Coral+) on the Hydrofarm I got about 150PAR at 26".

50% more bulbs for 40% less PAR - wow. It looks like the main culprit is that the reflectors on the Hydrofarm don't have such as an aggressive beam angle as the ATIs - kind of cripples it at height.

So I spent half the day pondering a solution and think I scored big time.

0WsuKZu.jpg

Yep, I frankensteined my 300w Marsaqua into the Hydrofarm. At the same 26" I am getting 600PAR now! Along with the added benefit of non-uniform intense light so that I can still have lower light areas in the tank for things like chalices and leptos.

93ulHpG.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's awesome. I wish I had your diy skills

Honestly it wasn't bad. A screwdriver, a couple drill bits, some nuts/bolts, velcro, thermal paste, and some clippers to cut the reflectors (hardest part). The brains of the LED unit (drivers, outlets, and dimmer knobs) are all still attached to the top plate which is velcroed to the top of the T5 fixture. Pretty simple modification all things considered.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back