Should I think of moving this derasa?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this derasa for 10 months. It has almost doubled in size and continues to look good to me. The issue is it has gradually moved from being in an open area on the sand so that now it is next to some zoas and plays and it's mantle is pressing on the glass. I checked it yesterday and it's firmly attached to the location. My thinking is since it moved there on its own it can move elsewhere if it's not happy. To those of you with more experience does that sound like the right thing to do or should I intervene and move it? I don't have a problem with it being where it is, the clams well being is my main concern. @OrionN ?

A shot showing it looks happy
20231015_172427.jpg

It always shows some new growth
20231015_172321.jpg

And here is the mantle against the glass
20231015_172345.jpg

Last edited:

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what others say. I’d be worried about excessive flow hitting it up against the glass, but that’s entirely dependent on how you have your flow setup.

I don’t think there’s any risk of those zoas stinging the clam. They are incredibly resistant to anemone stings from what I’ve read. They may start to grow on it and cover the shell.
My LFS has a very large Derasa clam that is currently has its mantle pressed up against an acropora colony and doesn’t bother it. It moves between touching corals and the glass.

I personally wouldn’t move It. Like you said it moved there on its own, unless there’s something going to harm it, or it has gotten in a spot it cannot open its valves, I’d let it go where it wants to.

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will move when it needs or wants to, so I would just let it be. Eventually, it will detach altogether and it's weight will keep it in place, but you have a couple years before that happens. Plus, there's no need to stress the animal trying to cut the byssal threads, when it's perfectly healthy and growing, just enjoy the view.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what others say. I’d be worried about excessive flow hitting it up against the glass, but that’s entirely dependent on how you have your flow setup.

I don’t think there’s any risk of those zoas stinging the clam. They are incredibly resistant to anemone stings from what I’ve read. They may start to grow on it and cover the shell.
My LFS has a very large Derasa clam that is currently has its mantle pressed up against an acropora colony and doesn’t bother it. It moves between touching corals and the glass.

I personally wouldn’t move It. Like you said it moved there on its own, unless there’s something going to harm it, or it has gotten in a spot it cannot open its valves, I’d let it go where it wants to.

It will move when it needs or wants to, so I would just let it be. Eventually, it will detach altogether and it's weight will keep it in place, but you have a couple years before that happens. Plus, there's no need to stress the animal trying to cut the byssal threads, when it's perfectly healthy and growing, just enjoy the view.
Thanks. I figured leaving it was best since it did move there on its own. I'm just a little paranoid. This is the first time I've kept a clam alive for more than a couple of months. I was light starving them previously but didn't realize it until I invested in a par meter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back