shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Bubble Magus Curve 5 on our 170. ATO I'm going to go with the Tunze. You could get away with the nano for your nano.

I have those same cubes from Ikea with those doors!

Hey Reefers,

I just set up my Reefer Nano and started the cycle process yesterday.
Equipment I have set up so far:

Sicce Syncra 1.5
Eheim Jäger 100W
Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue

I could really use your help on deciding witch skimmer to go with? Ive looked at Reef Octopus 110sss, Aquamaxx Q2, Nyos Quantum 120, and Vertex Omega 130. Please let me know which would be the best for this size aquarium and which would fit, noting that some of these skimmers are larger in length from red seas specs but they are not calculating the space given next to the filter sock.

Equipment I plan on purchasing in a few weeks are the Ecotech MP10 and some sort of controller and ATO. Ive been looking at Neptune systems Jr and Regular just not sure what would be best? Not sure which ATO to go with either, would love some recommendations?

I do plan on running a Pico tank from Oceanbox Designs for growing Frags and Fluval Spec for Quarantine.

Also I am very new to this Hobby and have become literally obsessed with it. HAHA. Look forward to hearing back from you and constructive criticism always encouraged. Thanks
20160411_222621.jpg

20160412_225059.jpg
20160412_225139_001.jpg
20160413_165957.jpg
20160413_165851.jpg
20160413_165914.jpg

20160413_165851.jpg

Swaefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again. Thanks for all the help with the skimmer recs. The advice I got made it easier to many a choice. Without your help I would have spent hours doing the research. On to a new question. What pump would you recommend for the Red Sea Reefer Nano? Never had a reef tank so excuse my dumb questions. The manufacture recommends a pump that can push 530gph. My concern is if I add another device at a later date that requires a water supply, say a reactor, I don't have enough room in the sump to add another pump. My thinking is I by a bigger pump now and dial down the flow with a gate or ball valve. Later when I need the flow dial up. BTW I am assuming the pumps are adjustable. I also assume using a gate or ball valve would create back pressure. Will the back pressure shorten the life of the pump? Lastly can anyone give me a advice on manifold design? I am sure there is the right way and the wrong. I would prefer to do it the right way the first time. dang that was a lot. Thanks again for your help.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want a DC pump so you can turn down or up the flow based on your needs. I have a Reef Octopus RODC 3500 return pump that we moved from our 170 to our new 450 and it works great still. Ecotech makes one but I think it's super overkill for your size tank and is a lot more expensive than some of the other DC pumps out there.

Me again. Thanks for all the help with the skimmer recs. The advice I got made it easier to many a choice. Without your help I would have spent hours doing the research. On to a new question. What pump would you recommend for the Red Sea Reefer Nano? Never had a reef tank so excuse my dumb questions. The manufacture recommends a pump that can push 530gph. My concern is if I add another device at a later date that requires a water supply, say a reactor, I don't have enough room in the sump to add another pump. My thinking is I by a bigger pump now and dial down the flow with a gate or ball valve. Later when I need the flow dial up. BTW I am assuming the pumps are adjustable. I also assume using a gate or ball valve would create back pressure. Will the back pressure shorten the life of the pump? Lastly can anyone give me a advice on manifold design? I am sure there is the right way and the wrong. I would prefer to do it the right way the first time. **** that was a lot. Thanks again for your help.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howd you get the standard ro tubing on the ato fitting?
I found a threaded to 1/4 push fitting at lowes. Took the part I would need to screw in with me to the store to make sure it fit. I will send a picture when i get home if you would like.

Last edited:

Swaefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want a DC pump so you can turn down or up the flow based on your needs. I have a Reef Octopus RODC 3500 return pump that we moved from our 170 to our new 450 and it works great still. Ecotech makes one but I think it's super overkill for your size tank and is a lot more expensive than some of the other DC pumps out there.
Really appreciate the feedback

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I found a threaded to 1/4 push fitting at lowes. Took the part I would need to screw in with me to the store to make sure it fit. I will send a picture when i get home if you would like.
Ok so 1/4th alright thank you a pic would be great!!

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the waveline DC pump on my tank. It's adjustable and also Apex ready. I've got the 10,000 which puts out 2800 GPH, but they have smaller units that should do what you need. It's also at a little bit better price point than the vectra or the Reef Octopus.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to be off topic but were did you buy the clip to hold the ro/di line
Going straight to the RO/DI system... well not straight few elbows and a PVC covering so the ferret will not chew threw it bit ends up at the RO/DI. Are you using a pump or gravity from the stock ATO?

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, what about the ato side, did you have to drill a bulkhead ot you used the standard fitting?
If you get the RO line in to the valve that came with the tank it should stay. Maybe get some kind of clamp if it seems like it will slip. This was 2 minutes of working it on to the valve and it seems good would want to get it in a bit better though.

1460766918217990949395.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you get the RO line in to the valve that came with the tank it should stay. Maybe get some kind of clamp if it seems like it will slip. This was 2 minutes of working it on to the valve and it seems good would want to get it in a bit better though.

1460766918217990949395.jpg
Dude, you are a lifesaver. Thank you so much i didnt even think of that, i was trying to direct connect it to the top off tank and it came up to small.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you are a lifesaver. Thank you so much i didnt even think of that, i was trying to direct connect it to the top off tank and it came up to small.
Yea tried that first to try to figure something out that would work for you. I keep that other piece on their just as a stopper but had it in my hand with the line and tried it out. Seems tight enough for Gravity feed without a clamp but think you said you had a flood at one time so I wouldn't blame you for clamping it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back