Very nice everyone!

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Hey run... You won't believe this but I just finally did fill in tank for a water leak test tonite!!
It's been a very very slow build... I've had to muster up all the patience I could find!!!
I'm pretty sure it's gonna work good... Here it is for the fill...the lil fuge is in there and I think once I get everything going, I'll make a algae scrubber out of one of the gate valves with the long arm!
Thanks for the update! Good luck with the build!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics.
I'm really starting to loose hope not sure what to do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see that the level in the return section is rather low. So the water the comes from the skimmer section falls deep and can make more turbulence and bubbles which are taken by the return pump.
Try to adjust the float for the ATO to a higher level.
I installed a Tunze ATO system and have the waterlevel for the return pump as high as the black corner piece where the Red Sea float is attached.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Curious if it's worth waiting until Black Friday to order the white reefer 250 setup? Are there any discounted rates worth waiting?
You know im not sure. But with all the tank sales that start sometime this and next week, their should be a small price drop.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know this question was asked already, but seems like alot more people have joined in. Anyone running kalk in stock ato tank? If so whats the downside. Want to use a teenie bit in my ato tank but if its going to ruin everything its a nogo for me

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this question was asked already, but seems like alot more people have joined in. Anyone running kalk in stock ato tank? If so whats the downside. Want to use a teenie bit in my ato tank but if its going to ruin everything its a nogo for me

I was trying it for a little while but have decided to go back to a 2 part dosing system. It seemed no matter how hard I tried I could not keep the top off water from being a cloudy mess. Actually if you look back at the picture I posted under my stand you can see how cloudy the water was. I was mixing mine a gallon at a time in the brs jugs and letting it sit for a day or two and then filling up the reservoir. Every time I would pour the water in all the stuff that settles at the bottom would get stirred up and make the water cloudy. It would settle after a while but being you have to add water every 2 or 3 days it seems like it would never get completely clear. So between the sediment on the bottom of the reservoir and the crust that forms on top of the water every time I poured new water in it was just a cloudy mess. I never tried mixing it in the reservoir but that might work better. Or if you could transfer it from some kind of container to the reservoir without stirring it up so bad that might work better than what I was doing.

My other concern though was clogging the line for the top off. It never happened in the few weeks I was topping off that way but there was already quite a bit of buildup around all the connections on the top off hose just from that short amount of time. I watched a couple times when the water was flowing and any sediment that was on the bottom of the reservoir was getting sucked in the line with the top off water. I guess with regular cleaning it might not cause any problems but that was one thing I didn't really want to have to do so often. There was someone in this thread I believe that drilled a bigger hole an inch or so higher in the reservoir so ideally I feel like that would work pretty well at keeping the sediment from getting in the line, so that might be another idea.

With all that said, keep in mind this was my first attempt at using kalk so I may not be the best one to give advice. There is probably a better way to do it but it doesn't seem like many people dose kalk with a gravity fed ato so I couldn't find much advice on how to do it. I was disappointed it didn't work for me better because once I figured out the amount my tank needed my alk and cal was right where I wanted it to be. I just hated looking at the cloudy water and always being worried the lines would clog up over time. I may try it again one day if someone has a better way but for now I'm going to use a couple brs dosing pumps to dose my 2 part.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS just sent me a pic that he has my XL425 in his trailer now. He is still waiting on my Apex and another part or two, will be delivering everything he has on Friday. Might not have the Apex by then, though Neptune was supposed to ship it to him this week.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was trying it for a little while but have decided to go back to a 2 part dosing system. It seemed no matter how hard I tried I could not keep the top off water from being a cloudy mess. Actually if you look back at the picture I posted under my stand you can see how cloudy the water was. I was mixing mine a gallon at a time in the brs jugs and letting it sit for a day or two and then filling up the reservoir. Every time I would pour the water in all the stuff that settles at the bottom would get stirred up and make the water cloudy. It would settle after a while but being you have to add water every 2 or 3 days it seems like it would never get completely clear. So between the sediment on the bottom of the reservoir and the crust that forms on top of the water every time I poured new water in it was just a cloudy mess. I never tried mixing it in the reservoir but that might work better. Or if you could transfer it from some kind of container to the reservoir without stirring it up so bad that might work better than what I was doing.

My other concern though was clogging the line for the top off. It never happened in the few weeks I was topping off that way but there was already quite a bit of buildup around all the connections on the top off hose just from that short amount of time. I watched a couple times when the water was flowing and any sediment that was on the bottom of the reservoir was getting sucked in the line with the top off water. I guess with regular cleaning it might not cause any problems but that was one thing I didn't really want to have to do so often. There was someone in this thread I believe that drilled a bigger hole an inch or so higher in the reservoir so ideally I feel like that would work pretty well at keeping the sediment from getting in the line, so that might be another idea.

With all that said, keep in mind this was my first attempt at using kalk so I may not be the best one to give advice. There is probably a better way to do it but it doesn't seem like many people dose kalk with a gravity fed ato so I couldn't find much advice on how to do it. I was disappointed it didn't work for me better because once I figured out the amount my tank needed my alk and cal was right where I wanted it to be. I just hated looking at the cloudy water and always being worried the lines would clog up over time. I may try it again one day if someone has a better way but for now I'm going to use a couple brs dosing pumps to dose my 2 part.
Lol well you basically just answered every single question i eventually was going to ask. Litterally, a 1/2 tspn turns the water couldy. Think it has to do with the vibrations in the sump, i never used kalk before either and want to because im spending a fortune on 2 part. Guess ill just have to start dosing it lol. Thank you!

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectra M1 pump and no idea how to use it I sadly must admit. Simple way of increasing flow on this thing? Thought just turn the knob, but not the case.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready to throw out my WAV pumps! Anyone know how to reset and then program them? Barely any flow in my tank so algae is growing , even vectra m1 seems to be off and won't respond to when I adjust it. Help reefer peeps hahah

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2016-07-27-16-13-34.png

Well this is what happens when i dont take fellow hobbyest advice. This is 1/4 a teaspoon. Was nice and clear, then overnight BAM.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing job to every single one of you , u all have done some great work with your Reefer series tanks . I am close to considering one for myself keep going back and forth on a upgrade tank. But love looking at all the tanks and all your work . Rebound of applause to all you guys out on this form ..[emoji12][emoji12][emoji106]

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2016-07-27-16-13-34.png

Well this is what happens when i dont take fellow hobbyest advice. This is 1/4 a teaspoon. Was nice and clear, then overnight BAM.

I was using 1 tsp per gallon and while it would clear up in the jugs I mixed it in it just wouldn't seem to stay clear in the top off tank. Well it would clear up some but by the time it did it was time to add more water and get it good and cloudy again. I even made sure not to pour in the water at the bottom of the jug where all the stuff had settled out but that didn't seem to help much. Maybe what you said about the vibrations has something to do with it. I guess between the skimmer, return pump and the water coming in from the overflow there's probably a lot more vibration down there than I would have considered. Sucks because it was easier and cheaper than the 2 part method but always worrying about cloudy water and the lines clogging up was enough to drive me crazy lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice everyone!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectra M1 pump and no idea how to use it I sadly must admit. Simple way of increasing flow on this thing? Thought just turn the knob, but not the case.

I'm ready to throw out my WAV pumps! Anyone know how to reset and then program them? Barely any flow in my tank so algae is growing , even vectra m1 seems to be off and won't respond to when I adjust it. Help reefer peeps hahah

Did you try calling Ecotech about the pump? They have amazing customer service. As for Neptune, I have never had to contact them, but I'm sure they would respond in a timely fashion.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back