Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, how did you guys manage to attach schedule 80 fittings onto red sea return. Can't find anything that fits them or replace them

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, how did you guys manage to attach schedule 80 fittings onto red sea return. Can't find anything that fits them or replace them

One of these and just use extra Teflon tape on the threads... as the Red Sea is a metric thread and your local hardware store is only going to have standard thread.

male_80_1.jpg

IMG_4105 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm pretty sure I bought 3/4" threaded!?! That was almost a year ago lol. I took the return pipe into my local Menards and simply grabbed one out of the bin and threaded it in... I didn't bother to see what the thread size was. I'm pretty sure it's 3/4" though. I know it says somewhere in this thread, but good luck finding it. They are so cheap, you could just buy a 1" also to be safe.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I bought 3/4" threaded!?! That was almost a year ago lol. I took the return pipe into my local Menards and simply grabbed one out of the bin and threaded it in... I didn't bother to see what the thread size was. I'm pretty sure it's 3/4" though. I know it says somewhere in this thread, but good luck finding it. They are so cheap, you could just buy a 1" also to be safe.
Actually, I think I've tried that at home depot and no matter what I've tried, it wouldn't fit (3/4 & 1")

20160729_110447.jpg

20160729_110529.jpg

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what just showed up :) Missing 1 bag of sand and my new Apex, but he should have that soon. Once this is setup I'll be getting some chairs and a table in there and replace the blinds and remove those ugly temporary drapes. The wife was nice enough to let me turn our unused dining room into my fish tank room. Have the T5 fixture and Avast Marine spyglass reactor and some other parts already. Waiting for another LFS to get my skimmer in which should be any day now. Hoping to get the stand built this weekend and leak check by next weekend.

IMG_20160729_102543.jpg

IMG_20160729_102530.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what just showed up :) Missing 1 bag of sand and my new Apex, but he should have that soon. Once this is setup I'll be getting some chairs and a table in there and replace the blinds and remove those ugly temporary drapes. The wife was nice enough to let me turn our unused dining room into my fish tank room. Have the T5 fixture and Avast Marine spyglass reactor and some other parts already. Waiting for another LFS to get my skimmer in which should be any day now. Hoping to get the stand built this weekend and leak check by next weekend.

IMG_20160729_102543.jpg

IMG_20160729_102530.jpg
Nice!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_20160729_102543.jpg

IMG_20160729_102530.jpg

Oh yea!

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to add a small fuge into the skimmer compartment underneath for a 450? I have some space and wanna put a little fuge with mud and mangroves.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using 1 tsp per gallon and while it would clear up in the jugs I mixed it in it just wouldn't seem to stay clear in the top off tank. Well it would clear up some but by the time it did it was time to add more water and get it good and cloudy again. I even made sure not to pour in the water at the bottom of the jug where all the stuff had settled out but that didn't seem to help much. Maybe what you said about the vibrations has something to do with it. I guess between the skimmer, return pump and the water coming in from the overflow there's probably a lot more vibration down there than I would have considered. Sucks because it was easier and cheaper than the 2 part method but always worrying about cloudy water and the lines clogging up was enough to drive me crazy lol

I've been adding kalk in the ATO. I'm not getting cloudy water, but there is plenty of sediment which means I'm keeping an eye on the drain to make it's not clogging.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think I've tried that at home depot and no matter what I've tried, it wouldn't fit (3/4 & 1")

20160729_110447.jpg

20160729_110529.jpg
That barb peice should unscrew from straight peice then use adapter toby showed. If I remember correctly. It's been a minute since I was at that point.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bright do you guys keep Ecotech XR15 or XR30 in your reefers ?

I have mine set at 70% and wonder if I should raise it.

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bright do you guys keep Ecotech XR15 or XR30 in your reefers ?

I have mine set at 70% and wonder if I should raise it.

XL 525 - I use the template for radiant mode with 2 - XR30s and 1 - XR15. That template at full power maxes at 72%. seems to work very good for me, but I keep very basic stuff such as fish and soft corals. I'm sure it varies depending on what you're trying to keep in the tank.

Rekt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these and just use extra Teflon tape on the threads... as the Red Sea is a metric thread and your local hardware store is only going to have standard thread.

male_80_1.jpg

this didn't work out for me I had a small leak about 1 drip per 10 minutes. I spent a few hours trying to fix it and gave up. I decided to cut the schedule 80 pipe and go hybrid

male_80_1.jpg

3/4 inch fits but it didnt work for me i tried 3 different teflon tapes and it still leaked around 1 drop per 10 minutes =( ended up going hybrid. half hard plumbed leading into a 3/4" tube. Its not the prettiest plumb job but it works

Back