Snails shipped without water

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a PetCo order for margarite snails. They shipped without water. Just a bag of wet snails inside a styrofoam cooler with a heat pouch and peanuts.

IMG_1669.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a PetCo order for margarite snails. They shipped without water. Just a bag of wet snails inside a styrofoam cooler with a heat pouch and peanuts.

IMG_1669.jpeg
It's a pretty common practice to ship intertidal snails in bags without water just damp. I wouldn't be upset as long as theyre moving after temp acclimation and waiting a day or 2 in tank

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my LFS open bags like this, and of hermits, and just dump them in their tanks. The snail should just seal itself up in the shell and be fine.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it is pretty normal. Whenever I order from Reef Cleaners, they come in with wet paper towels, but maybe a teaspoon of water for 10 or more snails. Mine have always been fine.
yeah, I've done reef cleaners before and they do the wet towel. This what a lot of dime to nickel sized snails. I brought them to temp and dropped some water in and they appear to be moving fine. I think they did a free over night ship due to the storm tomorrow. just seemed like a lot for that.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back