Some more start up questions

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The females are the more aggressive. ( In fact all clownfish start out as males but the most aggressive one in the batch changes into a female. Haha, its wild!) Can you try a turkey baster and see if that is less scary to him?

DChen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff, I didn't need to switch to any other food. I just made sure he pellets sank for the fish to eat. Thanks again.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that a lot of what I've read agrees with you Jeep, everyone preaches the importance of patience with good reason. It seems to me if you're serious about reefing you should not just understand the terms you should have first hand experience with the biological aspects happening in your tank. Also from what I've read they want you to chuck a fish quite quickly after you set up your tank which is a side thing and I just was curious and thought I'd ask!

It's not that we try to preach it. My goal is to help people understand the process. There is A LOT that goes on when a tank starts cycling. There is A LOT that goes one after it's "cycled". There is your initial cycle, continuation of bacterial growth, algae growth, food growth, and it all comes full circle to a balanced tank. People are too often quick to dismiss that nature knows what it's doing. By buying "bacteria" in a bottle, it's a sign that we don't trust the process. So we hurry it up on our own which leads to detrimental effects because we get careless. Trust the process, and never stop researching things. Don't get me wrong, technology is GREAT! But if we have a lack of understanding for the basics, technology only gets in the way.
We also like to kid and lie to ourselves. We think, "oh, I can do this. I'm very patient person." In reality, it's just the opposite. Marketing does a very good job at convincing to buy things we don't really absolutely need. Anyways, if there's any questions you ever have, certainly don't be afraid to ask. Even if it's a silly sounding question. How else do you learn?

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had water in my tank for a month tryint to set it up and cycle it. It's hard to be patient. Im curious if his fish survive. Follwing thisbthread for sure!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back