Spots on foxface

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was thinking ich, now I'm not so sure? Looks a little different. Picture attached. What is it? Breathing is quick and he is hiding more than normal. Also not eating as much, but still eating.

PXL_20240328_111732355.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a short video of breathing will help experts
#fishmedic

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please try and get a few more white light photos as well as a 20 second video if possible. Also read through this as it will help the process along.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At first I was thinking ich, now I'm not so sure? Looks a little different. Picture attached. What is it? Breathing is quick and he is hiding more than normal. Also not eating as much, but still eating.

PXL_20240328_111732355.jpg
Fish is distant in the picture and glass is dirty
Please if you can , clean glass and take pic a little closer

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick responses. Will post tank levels when I get home and test but levels were fine last weekend. I will try to get a better pic, though he is hiding most of the time. Had this tank setup for 1 year. Fish have been healthy and active for a while but I recently added a new one ( bandtail puffer)and within two weeks Ive had 4 fish die. I've been thinking it was just ich now I'm not so sure. Not all fish have been affected which is strange. Affected fish get white spots and become secluded and stop eating. And then they started dying one a day for the last 4 days. Treated with coppersafe a few days ago and the remaining fish seem to be doing better., except for the foxface.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick responses. Will post tank levels when I get home and test but levels were fine last weekend. I will try to get a better pic, though he is hiding most of the time. Had this tank setup for 1 year. Fish have been healthy and active for a while but I recently added a new one ( bandtail puffer)and within two weeks Ive had 4 fish die. I've been thinking it was just ich now I'm not so sure. Not all fish have been affected which is strange. Affected fish get white spots and become secluded and stop eating. And then they started dying one a day for the last 4 days. Treated with coppersafe a few days ago and the remaining fish seem to be doing better., except for the foxface.
Unless treating in a hospital tank and maintaining copper above 2.2 for an extended period it will not cure your issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the puffer brought something in to your tank. Is it not showing any symptoms?

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick responses. Will post tank levels when I get home and test but levels were fine last weekend. I will try to get a better pic, though he is hiding most of the time. Had this tank setup for 1 year. Fish have been healthy and active for a while but I recently added a new one ( bandtail puffer)and within two weeks Ive had 4 fish die. I've been thinking it was just ich now I'm not so sure. Not all fish have been affected which is strange. Affected fish get white spots and become secluded and stop eating. And then they started dying one a day for the last 4 days. Treated with coppersafe a few days ago and the remaining fish seem to be doing better., except for the foxfa

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick responses. Will post tank levels when I get home and test but levels were fine last weekend. I will try to get a better pic, though he is hiding most of the time. Had this tank setup for 1 year. Fish have been healthy and active for a while but I recently added a new one ( bandtail puffer)and within two weeks Ive had 4 fish die. I've been thinking it was just ich now I'm not so sure. Not all fish have been affected which is strange. Affected fish get white spots and become secluded and stop eating. And then they started dying one a day for the last 4 days. Treated with coppersafe a few days ago and the remaining fish seem to be doing better., except for the foxfa

Unless treating in a hospital tank and maintaining copper above 2.2 for an extended period it will not cure your issue.
The coppersafe bottle said one dose will treat the water for 1 month. Should I dose a second time after 1 month to prolong the treatment? I Just followed the instructions on the bottle. Seems to be helping, but maybe it was just the timing.

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the puffer brought something in to your tank. Is it not showing any symptoms?
I think this was the case also. We watched the puffer at the store for months and he was getting fatter and seemed healthy every time we made our weekly visits. I guess he could have caught something right before we purchased him but he didn't show any signs of being sick until being in our tank for about a week. All was fine until our hippo tang broke out with spots all over. The puffer eventually got it and he died. Funny enough the hippo tang has survived and is looking better now. And everyone says they are sickly and easy to kill.

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a short video of breathing will help experts
#fishmedic
This was the best video I could get. He is looking a little better today, but you can still see some lighter spots near his head, and darker spots on his body. And you can see him breathing quickly.

Attachments

• PXL_20240329_200242936.LS.mp4
    25.6 MB

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coppersafe bottle said one dose will treat the water for 1 month. Should I dose a second time after 1 month to prolong the treatment? I Just followed the instructions on the bottle. Seems to be helping, but maybe it was just the timing.
Here is something with a better description on copper use. You also don't want to use this in your display tank.

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some better pics and a quick close up video.

Attachments

• PXL_20240329_224824212.LS.mp4
    14.1 MB
  • PXL_20240329_224804607.jpg
    PXL_20240329_224804607.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240329_224810068.jpg
    PXL_20240329_224810068.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 19

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some better pics and a quick close up video.

Do you see any spots on the fins? I don't and that can be an important way to tell diseases apart. I see spots on the body and rapid breathing. Ich doesn't cause rapid breathing until the fish is pretty far gone. It also looked to me that the flame hawkfish was breathing a bit fast as well. All of this has ben wondering if the issue may be flukes. It so, copper won't help with that.

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another one. Even better. I'm not thinking ich?

Attachments

• PXL_20240330_001423258.jpg
    PXL_20240330_001423258.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see any spots on the fins? I don't and that can be an important way to tell diseases apart. I see spots on the body and rapid breathing. Ich doesn't cause rapid breathing until the fish is pretty far gone. It also looked to me that the flame hawkfish was breathing a bit fast as well. All of this has ben wondering if the issue may be flukes. It so, copper won't help with that.
The foxface does not have spots on fins. Just body. Some of the other fish that died did have it on their fins though. Maybe I got both ich and flukes at the same time...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another one. Even better. I'm not thinking ich?

No - in this shot, I can see white spots on the fins, that helps to confirm it is ich. The fish could also have flukes, but ich will kill faster, so needs to be dealt with first. Adding copper to that tank isn't going to be possible though - too much calcium based material that will absorb the copper. If you don't have any invertebrates, or if you can move them out, you could run hyposalinity and deal with ich and flukes at the same time.

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - in this shot, I can see white spots on the fins, that helps to confirm it is ich. The fish could also have flukes, but ich will kill faster, so needs to be dealt with first. Adding copper to that tank isn't going to be possible though - too much calcium based material that will absorb the copper. If you don't have any invertebrates, or if you can move them out, you could run hyposalinity and deal with ich and flukes at the same time.

Thank you. I will look into this method and maybe give it a shot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back