Suggestions for nano reef addition

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about possibly adding one more fish to my 20-gallon cube. I currently have a helfrichi firefish, pink streaked wrasse, aiptasia eating filefish and two hi fin red banded shrimp gobies.

Are there any candidates that I could add that are predominantly yellow and safe in a mixed reef environment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a full-tank pic? That helps me a lot in gauging how much room the tank might have left. For example, a 20 gallon cube with one rock in it and small fish would have space for more fish. The same tank, filled with rock, would not.

Personally, I'd call that tank full, to allow for room for growth with the filefish and wrasse.

Tanks can reach capacity three ways: Biologically (too much biomass for the filter), territorial (the fish fight) or behaviorally (the fish just don't have room enough to swim) The last one is discussed here:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Banggai cardinal and tail spot blenny comes to mind but if fish have potential to reach additional size, I'd consider something ornamental like a shrimp or reef safe scavenger

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a full-tank pic? That helps me a lot in gauging how much room the tank might have left. For example, a 20 gallon cube with one rock in it and small fish would have space for more fish. The same tank, filled with rock, would not.

Personally, I'd call that tank full, to allow for room for growth with the filefish and wrasse.

Tanks can reach capacity three ways: Biologically (too much biomass for the filter), territorial (the fish fight) or behaviorally (the fish just don't have room enough to swim) The last one is discussed here:

Jay
Thanks for the information Jay. I will take a picture of the tank when I get home this afternoon. The current setup is a little different than the last picture I have on my phone.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinal and tail spot blenny comes to mind but if fish have potential to reach additional size, I'd consider something ornamental like a shrimp or reef safe scavenger
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to add one more mouth to feed to increase nutrient levels.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Here is a current picture of the Cube 20.
IMG_4858.jpeg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe a yellow damsel, they can have aggression issues like all damsels. Or yellow clown goby. Or a midas blenny. I think 20 is too small for a gold assessor.

If you want a partly yellow, starcki damsel which is more peaceful on the damsel front as well.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a yellow damsel, they can have aggression issues like all damsels. Or yellow clown goby. Or a midas blenny. I think 20 is too small for a gold assessor.

If you want a partly yellow, starcki damsel which is more peaceful on the damsel front as well.
Trying to avoid any damsels. I was thinking of a gold assessor but saw a minimum suggested volume as low as 10 gallons and up to 30 gallons. Do you have any experience clown gobies? Just wondering how tricky they can be with sps.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Trying to avoid any damsels. I was thinking of a gold assessor but saw a minimum suggested volume as low as 10 gallons and up to 30 gallons. Do you have any experience clown gobies? Just wondering how tricky they can be with sps.
I don't. They are goofy looking. You could ask @steveschuerger how his gold assessor is doing. You have a good open aquascape so it could be ok.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. They are goofy looking. You could ask @steveschuerger how his gold assessor is doing. You have a good open aquascape so it could be ok.
I was thinking it would hang underneath the arch most of the time. But there is swimming room on all sides of the rockscape.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking it would hang underneath the arch most of the time. But there is swimming room on all sides of the rockscape.
My Assessor @Kasrift mentioned doesn’t hang out in any arches or rockwork . Seems to like open water, but then again nobody bothers it either, so maybe it doesn’t feel the need to hide. Tank is a little small though. Clown goby would be a good fit size and activity wise but they tend to use whatever’s available for a perch including coral.

Last edited:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Assessor @Kasrift mentioned doesn’t hang out in any arches or rockwork . Seems to like open water, but then again nobody bothers it either, so maybe it doesn’t feel the need to hide. Tank is a little small though. Clown goby would be a good fit size and activity wise but they tend to use whatever’s available for a perch including coral.
It is a pretty little thing.
949FCC21-DE40-422A-8AA2-F5BD58E4BB4A.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back