Supplement Foxface Diet

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used feed my whole tank Rod’s frozen food and then would put a piece of nori on a clip for my foxface, which would be the only thing that showed any interest in it. Now I have a pigfish (type of grunt) and that thing certainly lives up to its name. It will swim up and rip the nori off the clip and swallow it whole with the foxface lucky to get two bites in. I know foxface are listed as herbivores, but mine eats the Rod’s food pretty eagerly. I still think it probably should have its diet supplemented with some kind of greenery though. What does anyone recommend? Some kind of marine algae pellets?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try putting in two sheets of the nori at opposite ends of the tank? I just use algae based pellets along with the normal mysis and the occasional nori.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try putting in two sheets of the nori at opposite ends of the tank? I just use algae based pellets along with the normal mysis and the occasional nori.
Haha I tried that! The pigfish got both. The problem is the foxface chews it, the pigfish just rips it off and swallows it whole.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I tried that! The pigfish got both. The problem is the foxface chews it, the pigfish just rips it off and swallows it whole.
So I bought and use black plastic sleeves with holes cut out that forces fish to pick rather than rip off whole chunks (see below). I think this might solve your problem. They are perfect for Foxface since they possess the small mouth to get in and grab pieces out. If you don't want to try those, I have also cut my sheets into small strips (still leaving it as one whole piece) before putting into the tank. When the fish tries to take a piece, each individual strip just rips off.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting ideas. I have a bunch of mesh leftover from doing the lid to my tank, I think I’ll use that to create a barrier small enough for the snout of the Foxface but too small for the pigfish to get into and see if that works

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back