OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of this contest, it takes from the reason I visit this site.

I'm going to be honest in the beginning of this contest i was not a fan either due to max posts qualifies. People had 11K-10K points which was insanse. But as it has evolved and requirements changed i think it has sparked more good discussions, new members, and more thought out responses than - Wow - Cool - Nice pic etc.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because when I hit the new post button there is 3-4 theads about his contest (2 of which are sticky)(which only those with no life hope to qualify for), or pointless threads about nothing by those same people jockeying for possition.
there was only 1 thread about aquarium stess that was even remotly interesing, and I dont think that guy is even trying to compete in your contest cuz I dont see 3000 pointless posts or threads by him. (not that I looked).
Oh look there, this post is going to get me 10 points.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of harsh don't ya think??? People with no lifes??? I'm sorry you feel the way you do honestly.... What if I would have pulled your name for last week would you have the same feelings??!? Just curious...
because when I hit the new post button there is 3-4 theads about his contest (2 of which are sticky)(which only those with no life hope to qualify for), or pointless threads about nothing by those same people jockeying for possition.
there was only 1 thread about aquarium stess that was even remotly interesing, and I dont think that guy is even trying to compete in your contest cuz I dont see 3000 pointless posts or threads by him. (not that I looked).
Oh look there, this post is going to get me 10 points.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I would agree the first 2 weeks it was way out of line that's why we changed the rules and weeded out the junk posting to make it more constructive... I think the last few weeks have went smooth and the garbage from the first couple stopped myself.... We make changes accordingly... And there is normally one one sticky but the threads get so long we close them and start a new one... The only reason you saw 2 this morning is because I bumped the old one to update it with the winner.... The other contest is for something completely different....;)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone else, the prior contest qualification rules were insane.. I sure as heck wasn't going to get qualified and worse yet it would have been a double downer when my name wouldn't be picked. These new rules, albeit not easy, aren't a complete killer since I am on here with no life anyway. :tongue: Least week 7's was a nice breather that required little participation. If anything is going to draw new members, I think the prizes are the best I've seen in any forum I've gone to.

Also, I think the mods have been pretty good at tossing the more worthless threads... I haven't seen that many where it wouldn't already be found on other forums. I do think you're right about the excess threads dealing with just the contest, but it's not too difficult to ignore or pass over. I think I've been more involved (In a good way, as opposed to the mindless posts) because of this contest. I don't even think I'll qualify for Week 8, but it hasn't stopped me from being more active in this community. :smile:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, for one, have enjoyed the contest more after the first two weeks. I know I was one that was posting like crazy to try to get qualified, and I never did, but it still didn't stop me from browsing the site as much as I did before so (although I did revert back to my original posting habits). Even without taking the contest into account, R2R has definitely become much more enjoyable.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend or incinuate, just letting you know how out of reach any of this seems.
Honestly I have no life either.
I didnt read the rules again after the begining cuz it seemed geared to a certain group of folks.
10 points per post, 1 post per forum (thread?),= 100 posts to get 1000, are there 100 new threads worth commenting on?
How many people get 100 posts per week? (I have been on here for months and only have under 1000)
Who deems a post stick worthy? The people most likely to create such a post?
It just does not seem realistic for most people.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mods search through all the posts and we decided which 5 or 6 are sticky worthy and then we vote yes or no each one... We try our best to keep it as fair as possible... 1000 points is very easy to get...
You could start a build thread with a few post and be half way there fwiw.... Dunno to each there own we try...;)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, no offense taken. The goal for the contest is to drive an increase of content on the site, so what better way to do so than give out prizes to entice people to post or participate more. Not everybody is going to be able to participate, and I, myself, feel lucky that I'm able to spend time on forums like I have for the last 6+ years of reefing as its where I have learned the majority of my knowledge about the hobby.

R2R has many contests each month aside from this one. Even if there is only one prize to win that month, its one more than the other forums are giving away. I came to R2R for the atmosphere, and feel fortunate that I have a chance to win some great prizes, just for doing what I have done for years...read...learn...post...ask questions...help others out.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend or incinuate, just letting you know how out of reach any of this seems.
Honestly I have no life either.
I didnt read the rules again after the begining cuz it seemed geared to a certain group of folks.
10 points per post, 1 post per forum (thread?),= 100 posts to get 1000, are there 100 new threads worth commenting on?
How many people get 100 posts per week? (I have been on here for months and only have under 1000)
Who deems a post stick worthy? The people most likely to create such a post?
It just does not seem realistic for most people.

I think the hope was to also get new good threads started for poeple to also post in. I mean 20 points for a good new thread helps. I wish I was a little more creative! ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just throwing this out there.

1 New Thread in a different forum than you have ever started a thread in = 40 points.
10 points for the post, 20 for the thread, and 10 because it is in a different forum.

1 New referral 50 points

This contest has had it's ups and downs, but it has been great for R2R. Numbers don't lie and more and more people are using R2R since the contest began.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually no only because the application I have that counts the points does not allow for it and it would be almost impossible to keep up with. So sorry.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wicked you can't. You have to figure it out for yourself, I asked and then cried as I can only count to 10... on good days. ;)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's assuming you've typed 50 words though, right?

Back