Talk me in/out copperband addition.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we are at a crossroads. I’m debating of adding a CBB to my current setup. Current tank is 48”x20”x20”. By October the tank will be upgraded to either an SCA 150 60” or an IM 200 72”.
Current stock
Clown pair
Adorned wrasse
Carpenters wrasse
One spot foxface
Scopas tang.

Scopas is about 3”. One spot about the same size. No aggression in the tank.

Would the addition of the CBB to the current mix be warranted at this point with the already budgeted for upgrade?

Would be purchasing from Dr. reef and requesting one on the smaller side.

I am also not dead set on purchasing one for the current setup and am willing to wait. Wanted to hear pros and cons from those with experience.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with cbb went well. Now 4 years with me and my favorite. I did have to rehome my yellow tang though so the scopas could be an issue. My advice would be QT one in an established tank and get it eating well before you put it in your display tank so it doesn't have to compete right away. I did observation only for 90 days in a separate live tank full of aiptaisa and rocks and fattened him up while prepared to medicate if necessary. I had live black worms ready and for a few days thats all it ate. Then took mysis and eventually clam and now eats all kinds of seafood. I also got mine from quality lfs so I could see it first. Don't be surprised if lympho pops up after getting it also. Will go away when settled and eating in good water parameters. If it were me I'd get the cbb right before I upgraded and put it in the new display before the tang.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think about doing just that with getting it right before the upgrade and going straight into a new tank. I have a fallow 25 lagoon that’s been running for about a year with just rocks and a ton of pods. Albeit a small tank may do if it’s housed alone for a little while to eat and fatten it up!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest suggestion before getting a CBB is to have a source of some kind of live worm. I used white worms with my CBB, but I’ve heard black worms are often readily ate as well.
Much like @jtf74 mine spent an extended time alone in a separate tank with mature rock before being moved into my display
I had an established purple tang in my tank when the CBB got moved over, but a few days of using the mirror trick ended any aggression between the two.
It did take me around a year of feeding live worms before my CBB transitioned over to frozen. It now aggressively eats anything I feed the tank. It is now the first fish to meet me at the top of the tank to get food. I have never hand fed mine, but I’m pretty sure he would eat from my hand.
They are beautiful fish, but getting one eating is not always easy and can take some effort and preparation. Sadly many of them starve to death in our tanks. Getting one from Dr Reef may increase the odds of it eating frozen, but I wouldn’t rely on it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For white worms I have bought them off of eBay before. They ship well as long as the temperatures don’t get hot in shipping. You generally won’t get a lot but it’s enough to start a culture.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the availability of a small tank to monitor and feed from the beginning do you think that given the time frame this is feasible for a short time to graduate to my 48x20x20 display?

Wizard677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB would not eat live black worms, frozen, clams....I was fortunate enough to have plenty of pods and spaghetti worms (over infestation) that he picked constantly. After 4 or 5 weeks he began to eat frozen. Now my tank has 0 spaghetti worms and he is a pig for frozen mysis and blood worms. Good Luck, one of my favorites! He's with a Foxface, 2 clowns, Coral Beauty, Kole tang, blue neon damsel, watchman goby, mandrin goby, 2 chromis, banghai cardinal, malnurus wrasse. All happy no aggression in a Reefer 350. So if you have the fauna I would suggest getting him now, to increase your chance of success getting him to eat frozen vs a new tank with little to pick at.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB would not eat live black worms, frozen, clams....I was fortunate enough to have plenty of pods and spaghetti worms (over infestation) that he picked constantly. After 4 or 5 weeks he began to eat frozen. Now my tank has 0 spaghetti worms and he is a pig for frozen mysis and blood worms. Good Luck, one of my favorites! He's with a Foxface, 2 clowns, Coral Beauty, Kole tang, blue neon damsel, watchman goby, mandrin goby, 2 chromis, banghai cardinal, malnurus wrasse. All happy no aggression in a Reefer 350. So if you have the fauna I would suggest getting him now, to increase your chance of success getting him to eat frozen vs a new tank with little to pick at.
my tank is just about the same dimensions as yours. I had that thought as well about an established tank. Depending on size I receive I could put the CB in my backup tank that is absolutely overrun with pods and I’m sure worms since no fish have been in for about 6 months. Otherwise would a breeder box be recommended in display or do they do better released right away. Would have a mirror on both short walls to give the others plenty of things to look at.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live brine shrimp was the trick for me. They went straight for it and straight success eating frozen from there.

I had not subpar success with CBBs before that.
I do believe I would order a brine hatchery before I place the order for the CBB. As an alternate feed route.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can get worms from eastern aquatics. Your 25 gallon would probably do for QT. I couldn't hatch enough brine to keep up with what he ate for what thats worth and he didn't initially eat frozen brine.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can get worms from eastern aquatics. Your 25 gallon would probably do for QT. I couldn't hatch enough brine to keep up with what he ate for what thats worth and he didn't initially eat frozen brine.
I’ll check into eastern aquatics. I wanted a CBB for about 15 years! I think it’s time to give it a try!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back